What to pack?

joy@disney

I am a newbie to cruising, and I have seen some pretty extensive packing checklists.

My SIL said to not over pack, all you end up wearing is shorts and your bathing suit. What's your opinion?

In general, set out what you want to pack, then take away half of it! Make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes, suitable clothing for the dining room and the rest depends on where you're cruising to.

Be aware most cruise lines provide shampoo, conditioner, soap, hair dryer, so don't bring those.

Have a great cruise!

Which cruiseline? On most, during the day, you'll be in either your swimsuit or shorts/tee.....casual stuff. For dinner, you'll wear either capris, skirt, sundress....or on formal evenings, a cocktail dress or evening gown. Hubby will wear swim trunks/shorts/tee during the day, and dockers and collared shirt for casual nights...dark suit or tux for the formal evenings.... That's on MOST lines....check with your cruiseline's requirements!

Is your intention to eat only at the buffet? You cannot wear shorts or a bathing suit in the Main Dining Room or any Specialty Restaurants or nightclubs on the ship. So you will need either some trousers and tops or a few dresses - the kind of thing you would wear when you go out to a restaurant or nightclub on land. Depending on the ship, you may need formalwear.

On Carnival you can wear nice shorts in the dining room except on Formal Night.

I pack a couple bathing suits, some shorts and tops, a pair of capris and a different top each night for the dining room (my husband and son wear shorts and pull-over shirt). We don't eat in the MDR on formal night. But you'll want something nice for that night.

I only carry sandals/flip flops since we only do beach type excursions.

First cruise I overpacked. Learned to just keep to the basics on the last one and will do the same on my upcoming cruise.

I hope this helps:) and I hope you have a great cruise!

For a 1 week cruise, I pack (this is for a woman)

2 dresses

2 pairs pants

4 tops

1 Sweater

1 jacket

1-2 swimsuits + 1 coverup

2 pair shorts (if in the Caribbean)

2 formal dresses (if it is not an NCL cruise)

3 pairs of shoes

1 pair flipflops

Water shoes (if I do any water excursions.)

1 nightgown

7 underwear

2 bras

Toiletries

Medications

1-2 books (or my Kindle with all the books I want!)

Keep it very, very simple and very light so the airline does not charge you extra for overweight luggage. I wear my flip flops in the airport so it is easy to take off and put on my shoes. This turned out to be a Godsend one time coming back from Australia on Aadvantage tickets - our inbound flight was late into LAX and switching from the international to the domestic terminal there was a huge line - we had to RUN for the flight and just barely made it. Otherwise, the flights were sold out that time of year and we would have had a heck of a time getting home - definitely having to pay big $$$$ for a last minute one-way flight and it may have taken several days to get one.

A surge strip so you can have extra outlets to charge camera's, any extra electrical device. I use it for my portable DVD player and camera to hook up to TV and also my two curling Irons and blow dryer.

Gallon size zip lock bags I usually bring 10 bags and one garbage bag to take onshore to put my wet towels in.

I am a newbie to cruising, and I have seen some pretty extensive packing checklists.

My SIL said to not over pack, all you end up wearing is shorts and your bathing suit. What's your opinion?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising! Both can be addictive.

You did not mention an itinerary or ports or a ship, however as a general guideline your SIL is correct. The cost of taking extra luggage on planes has become ridiculous and you certainly don't want to spend a small fortune bringing things you don't need and may not use.

I would say general rule #1 - leave all of the appliances at home. You will see crazy lists of appliances people bring on board. Everything from irons and blowdryers to kitchen appliances. Irons are not allowed but are in the laundry rooms of many ships, blow dryers are already in the cabins. As for kitchen appliances, okay thats weird (and most likely not allowed), you can get food and drink 24/7, and you're on vacation anyway!

For clothing it depends on the climate, but for warmer destinations I usually bring a couple of pairs of slacks for the dining room, a dark suit or tux for formal nights and shoes for each of those. The rest is all casual wear; shorts, polo's, swimsuit and a pair of deck shoes or sandals. For colder climates I stick to lots of thin layers as opposed to bulky winter wear.

A digital camera is great and bring extra batteries and memory cards. I see people mentioning power strips, but I have always had more than enough outlets in my cabins. The only thing I ever plug in is a charger for the camera battery, and charger for the cell phone or iPod. Also my razor, but there is usually a dedicated outlet for that.

I also use a backpack/daypack as my carry-on for the plane. It also works great in port as well. Whatever I need to carry off or on the ship goes in the pack leaving my hands free. It beats carrying shopping bags etc.

Beyond that pack meds and toiletries. Also an extra set of contact lenses or eyeglasses if you use either...

Aside from that if I forget anything I buy it on the ship or in port...

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising! Both can be addictive.

You did not mention an itinerary or ports or a ship, however as a general guideline your SIL is correct. The cost of taking extra luggage on planes has become ridiculous and you certainly don't want to spend a small fortune bringing things you don't need and may not use.

I would say general rule #1 - leave all of the appliances at home. You will see crazy lists of appliances people bring on board. Everything from irons and blowdryers to kitchen appliances. Irons are not allowed but are in the laundry rooms of many ships, blow dryers are already in the cabins. As for kitchen appliances, okay thats weird (and most likely not allowed), you can get food and drink 24/7, and you're on vacation anyway!

For clothing it depends on the climate, but for warmer destinations I usually bring a couple of pairs of slacks for the dining room, a dark suit or tux for formal nights and shoes for each of those. The rest is all casual wear; shorts, polo's, swimsuit and a pair of deck shoes or sandals. For colder climates I stick to lots of thin layers as opposed to bulky winter wear.

A digital camera is great and bring extra batteries and memory cards. I see people mentioning power strips, but I have always had more than enough outlets in my cabins. The only thing I ever plug in is a charger for the camera battery, and charger for the cell phone or iPod. Also my razor, but there is usually a dedicated outlet for that.

I also use a backpack/daypack as my carry-on for the plane. It also works great in port as well. Whatever I need to carry off or on the ship goes in the pack leaving my hands free. It beats carrying shopping bags etc.

Beyond that pack meds and toiletries. Also an extra set of contact lenses or eyeglasses if you use either...

Aside from that if I forget anything I buy it on the ship or in port...

I have to make a comment re: the hairdryer. True, the ship did have a hair dryer, it was one one of the old fashion ones that if your hair touches the side vent holes, it will suck your hair in, burn it, and tangle it all up, so I wish I would have brought my hair dryer.

Besides the toiletries...My rule of thumb was to look at the itinery. I know alot of ppl say to pack your suitcase and take half of it out, but on the cruise ship that I was on (monarch) there are no self service washing machines, and if i cant wash it, then I wont rewear it. It was really hot so my clothes were kinda sweaty. Personally, I take an outfit for everyday. True, during the day you probably will be in a bathing suit and coverup, but you need to be dress appropiatly for dinner. Even at the buffet you cant walk in to eat in a bathing suit. I will however color cordinate my outfits so that I dont fill up my suitcase with shoes. just one or two pairs will do (i packed flat sandals so that it would take too much space).

Archived