Victoria

We will be in Victoria from 6pm until midnight in August - last day of our cruise on NCL's pearl.

Wondering if there is plenty to see/do just walking around at the cruise port or if we have to do a shore excursion. I have 2 boys 9yo and 15yo with dh and I - don't really want to do whale watching again as we are already doing it earlier in the week.

Personally I would grab a cab and go to Inner Harbour, walk around there, I am not sure if Musuem and Parliment buildings will still be open at that time. Explore Government street and Trounce Ally and then go to Bay Center and have an Ice cream at Marble Slab.

I was wondering the same thing. We'll be there from 7pm-1159pm in June on a Friday night. I had looked at the excursions that seemed the best way to kinda see everything, but I didn't know if there was a way to see a lot on our own. It will be 4 of us, including my parents in their 60's.

I was wondering the same thing. We'll be there from 7pm-1159pm in June on a Friday night. I had looked at the excursions that seemed the best way to kinda see everything, but I didn't know if there was a way to see a lot on our own. It will be 4 of us, including my parents in their 60's.

Our experience is that Victoriaa in the evening is not the liveliest place. We found that the downtown shops closed after 6 pm--however, we were mid-week visitors, and this may change on Fridays and Saturdays.

The Royal BC Museum (http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca) is open every day, but unfortunately always closes at 5 pm.

Butchart Gardens (http://www.butchartgardens.com) is open until 10 pm in August, and has summer concerts in the evening--see their website 30 days in advance to get a listing of entertainers. If you are lucky enough to go there on a summer Saturday between July 1 and Labour Day, they have a fantastic fireworks display after sunset--however, that is Saturday nights only.

We will be in Victoria from 6pm until midnight in August - last day of our cruise on NCL's pearl.

Wondering if there is plenty to see/do just walking around at the cruise port or if we have to do a shore excursion. I have 2 boys 9yo and 15yo with dh and I - don't really want to do whale watching again as we are already doing it earlier in the week.

Our boys just liked walking around at that age. If you want to get good 2010 Olympic merchandise, go to The Bay for some shopping.

Viv

Pepperwood is right in that not a lot stays open late in Victoria. There may be street performers on the Inner Harbour, and it's lovely to stroll, but many shops will close by 8:00. I sometimes pick up some shifts at a retail shop right on Government Street, and we stay open late on any night that cruise ships are in, but even then, late is 9:30 or 10:00. Most of our neighbouring shops close much earlier, leaving less to do. Depending on the day of the week, even the Bay Centre (mall) will close early - at it's latest it's open until 9:00. The museum and the tourist attractions downtown (wax museum, miniature world, etc) all close by evening too.

Given that you're in town for the evening, I'd either look at a tour or excursion, or plan on a nice stroll for 2 - 3 hours, do some shopping before the stores close (likely the $ will be in your favour if you're from the US :rolleyes:), and maybe grab a bite to eat.

If you're going to grab a bite to eat, keep in mind the most of the restaurants are "pub" types which means no one under 19 with proof of ID. We were there last year and just wanted to grab a sandwich in the middle of the day. Couldn't find a place that would take us with the kids. So my DD decided to take the kids back to the ship to eat. Tried with just my 26 YO DIL, but she didn't have her ID on her, so no go there either. After trying about 10 places we gave up and had lunch back on the ship.

If you're going to grab a bite to eat, keep in mind the most of the restaurants are "pub" types which means no one under 19 with proof of ID. We were there last year and just wanted to grab a sandwich in the middle of the day. Couldn't find a place that would take us with the kids. So my DD decided to take the kids back to the ship to eat. Tried with just my 26 YO DIL, but she didn't have her ID on her, so no go there either. After trying about 10 places we gave up and had lunch back on the ship.

Milestones on the inner harbour is a good family friendly spot.

Viv

Your ship will tie up at the Ogden Point pier and there will be cabs and shuttles available to take you into the downtown area; cabs are about $10 each direction and the shuttle about $6 pp rtn. Once downtown you may care to take a horse drawn carriage trip or simply take in the buskers who perform on the causeway of the Inner Harbour. Here are a couple of links:

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

http://www.causewayartists.ca/welcome.html

We are still trying to decide if we should do the Gardens or just take a shuttle/taxi to the harbour and look around ourselves. I am not sure my dh would think looking at lots of flowers is worth the 140.00 price tag the ship is charging for the Gardens for two.

Thanks for the idea's and links. We are from Ontario so have the olympic merchandise in abundance here as well - I think we will look at taking a carriage ride to see the sights since most things won't be open! Unless of course we enjoy our whale watching cruise so much earlier in the week that the kids want to take another one. Too many decisions to make!!

Victoria is an extremely compact, walkable town. I'd suggest you walk past the Parliament Buidings, The Empress Hotel (with the Inner Harbour on your left) and then continue your walk along the harbour until you get to Pandora Avenue (big drawbridge there).

You then need to keep going for a couple of blocks and you're at Chinatown. It's a great place to have a bite to eat and you'll also pass quite a few restaurants on your way to Chinatown that have outside areas where you can have a nibble and a drink, I believe (with children), if you don't want Chinese.

In the Pandora Street area there are a couple of homeless shelter so, if you are at all queasy about that then, forget I said anything and stick to Butchart Gardens etc. We're talking small town here, not New York City or San Francisco (I've never SEEN so many street people in my life as there - and I've lived in some big cities) - so, please keep this in perspective.

My family and I (with 10-year old daughter in tow) regularly stay at a hotel (The Swans) that is right in the heart of this area and we aren't bothered but, some people are. Oh, that's another thing, The Swans is a fantastic local brewpub that DOES allow children - as long as they're on the outer perimeter in the glassed in porch - rather than in the pub proper. I can't think of a nicer pub anywhere either - and that's saying something since I lived in England for 6 years and saw some doozies!

If you're up for something different and want to get out of the bland tourist-trap areas, try this.

" We booked a carriage ride. They said they were right there at the pier. Do you mean we'll have to take a cab to get to them"

Been a couple of years since I got off a cruise ship in Victoria but there is a large open paved area as you leave the secure part of the dock - many of the tours operators are waiting there to pick up so you should see your carriage ride waiting for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Your ship will tie up at the Ogden Point pier and there will be cabs and shuttles available to take you into the downtown area; cabs are about $10 each direction and the shuttle about $6 pp rtn.

If we didn't want to pay for a cab or shuttle, could we just walk to downtown? About how far is it from the pier?? What about the best route to take? Thanks!!

If we didn't want to pay for a cab or shuttle, could we just walk to downtown? About how far is it from the pier?? What about the best route to take? Thanks!!

It's about a 20 minute, 1 mile walk. Exit cruise port turn left, follow Dallas road

The city bus is also right there, Exit cruise port, don't cross the street, and there's a bus stop on your left. $2.25 for a 90 minute ticket anywhere in the Victoria BC Transit system. Every bus that stops at this stop, goes to downtown.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=n48+25.1+w123+23.12&sll=48.426695,-123.366423&sspn=0.03161,0.090981&ie=UTF8&ll=48.418364,-123.385134&spn=0.007904,0.022745&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Now that my Mexico cruise has changed into a San Francisco/Seattle/Victoria BC cruise, thanks for all these tips!

We will be very happy to have you...probably not the weather you were expecting but no flu ....at least not yet.

I would agree with cruiseryyc, Butchart Gardens are an attraction that people come from all over the world to see. So if you like gardens then they are a must see.

As for sushi, it has been a few years since I have had it in Victoria and while I like sushi I haven't found found a great place yet.

Archived