Orient Beach: Not so great

lisajoy

I have to say I really did not care for Orient beach. I could not even get through a page in my book without someone asking me to buy something. I told them I had not interest. We were there for 3 hrs and probably had to say no 50 times. I tried the ignoring thing but they would just stand in front of me blocking my sun until I said something to them. I went and had a couple of braids put in so they would at least stop asking me if I wanted braids done. I know the next time we back to St Martin I will stay away from that beach. We did find a nice beach on the dutch side right where the boats dock. No one was there to bother us and we didn't have to take a bus anywhere. Plus it was free.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but personally I like Orient Beach. I have spent a week on the island and there are beach vendors on just about every beach (including the one near the cruise ship dock - I assume you mean Great Bay). I found that a simple but firm "No Thanks" or even just a shake of my head discouraged them. BTW - of course if you start buying stuff or getting braids done - more vendors will bother you - since you have thereby shown an interest in their services. I have NEVER had a vendor just stand there for longer than a minute unless I have shown an interest in their stuff.

Also I am a little confused about your "plus it was free" comment - Orient Beach is free as are all beaches on St.Martin.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until NCL SKY

To each their own, but have to agree with Zeno that a "No thanks" or a shake of the head cuts it off during our visits to Orient.

They don't want to waste their time, and will move on to another target.

We'll suffer the minor inconveniences for a day on Orient.

_____

We must sail, sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor. Oliver Wendell Holmes

I know everything is subjective, but I have to chime in and say how much I loved Orient Beach. I did get my daughter's hair braided...as that was one thing she begged to have done. Otherwise, we had one other vendor stop by and we said "no thanks" and he was gone. We were there for about 3 hours. I guess it may depend on the day or perhaps the area of Orient.

We were at the Bikini Beach Bar area and loved it. Food and drinks were great. The band was great. The weather was beautiful. And that beach!!! Anyway, not trying to dispute your claims b/c I'm sure it happened. Just offering a different perspective.

We were on Orient Beach the same day as Amy Beth (Hi Amy!) and our experience was similar to hers:

Our stay was also about three hours - would have stayed longer but we wanted to go to Maho Beach, where the jetliners fly just over your head as they land (this was also a GREAT time, but that's another topic). We had chairs at the Paradisio, toward the south end of the beach, near Pedro's and Club Orient. During all that time, we had two vendors TOTAL stop by. We bought several articles of clothing from the first (at great prices, even greater after haggling) without drawing any increase in traffic. I strongly suspect that much simply depends on where on the beach you hang out - perhaps there simply isn't as much vendor traffic on the southern end ?? In any event, we had a great time. We did find that food and drink prices vary considerably across the various establishments, some places were pricey, others were ridiculously cheap (at the Club Orient bar you can get two Carib beers with lime slice for 3 bux!, and 2 dollar Heinekens at the Paradisio).

For anyone that's interested, I just posted lots of Orient / Maho Beach pix at the link below.

Amy - the one thing we did miss out on was the live band you guys had at Bikini. Will have to go check it out together when we're all there on the C.P. next June icon_cool.gif

Bob

Ship_at_island.gif

"These moments we’re left with - may you always remember

These moments are shared, by few

And those harbor lights, lord they’re coming into view

We’ll bid our farewells much too soon

So drink it up, this one’s for you -

Honey, it’s been a lovely cruise."

-- James W. Buffett

Carnival Triumph, April '02

Carnival Sensation, January '04

Golden Princess, April '04

Carnival Sensation, Golden Princess / Caribbean Princess pix at: Cool Cruisin' Pix

e-mail: bobandkarenny@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

Orient Beach is pretty, however, I liked it better years ago. Now it has become a lot more commercialized. I go every year, love the island, however there are some really nice quieter beaches, like Friars Bay, Long Bay,Baie Rouge, Cupacoy, thats if you are looking for laid back and not so touristy.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

Bob & Karen, we want to do the same thing you did. Spend a couple of hours at Orient Beach and then to Maho to see the planes come in. How did the time work out? Seems like they're on opposite sides of the island. Did you take a cab? What was the cost to do both places?

gypsygirl

Emerald Seas 1985

Caribe 1986

Carnivale 1991

Westward 1993

Fantasy 1994

Fantasy 1995

Fascination 1997

Destiny 2001

Enchantment 2002

Sovereign 2004

Serenade 2004

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Orient Beach on 6/9 and absolutely loved it. Great sand, hardly a pebble to be found anywhere. Water was warm and clean. The kids had a great time on the water trampoline. Nice waves. I can't think of a nicer beach that I've been on including Maui.

I have to give a thumbs up to Orient Beach. It was a very pretty place and we had no trouble with vendors. The water and sand are both really nice.

Gypsygirl...

We had rented a car for our day on St. Martin and after Orient beach we went to visit Marigot and then we went to Maho. It is not a very long drive from Orient to Maho but hard for me to give you a time frame since we spent time in Marigot between the two beaches. Maho is a blast and I highly recommend it. If you are the type of person that likes things like rollercoasters you will have fun there. I had the pleasure of being sand blasted by a 747 that was taking off. What an experience!

I am a strong orient Bay defender as well. I don't recall ever being harrassed or even approached by a vendor while relaxing on the beach. It has always been a wonderful experience for me to visit the beach there.

We took an excursion to Orient Beach so yes it did cost money and what did you do walk to orient beach from the ships no you probably took a taxi that costs money. I will agree that the beach was beautiful and maybe you guys didn't have the same experience that I did. I have a right to an opinion just like the rest of you.

I was interupted many times while sitting there and by the sames vendors over and over again. They would come back and ask if I was sure I didn't want anything. A stearn NO or a shake of my head was not working.

As for the Beach that is located right by the docks we were not interupted at all while we were at that beach.

So I am sorry if I offened everyone so much that you have to question my character because I did not like your precious beach. Just remember there are things you guys don't like this just happened to be the one thing that I hated most about my cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in St. Martin in April of this year. Cab to Orient beach from the pier was $5 per person and it takes about 10 to 15 mins to get to the beach. Rented two chairs with 2 umbrellas and a little table at Kon Tiki for $15 total.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am sorry if I offened everyone so much that you have to question my character because I did not like your precious beach. .

There's no reason to get like so upset. You obviously posted your strong opinion because you wanted to hear feedback. You wanted to hear that a lot of other people had the same bad experience in Orient Bay, to further validate your own opinion. I am sorry that many people do not agree with your view.

Lisajoy, you have every right to your opinion and you told us your experience. A few people responded that they loved Orient Beach. Good for them. I'll bet just as many would agree with you. You were there one day, they were there another. But nothing anyone says on these Boards should upset you and you owe no one an apology.

For my part, I like to hear the good and the bad about everything and I thank you for your input.

We love Orient, and spend most of our on-island time there.

I would suggest that we drop this negative thread (i.e. don't reply to it) and instead post individual questions about Orient. Post your questions as a new thread and I guarantee that you'll get them answered.

Add a post to this negative thread and take your chances.

Take this as I am talking and not yelling because I am not upset.

Maybe there are a lot of people just like me that did not like Orient Beach. Some times people don't like to type a negative response because they will get flaimmed for agreeing with a negative post.

I am a very fun person and love to have a good time. I always find comedy in a bad situation. That day I thought it would be fun to just sit and read a book. You know I should be able to relax on a beach and just take in the sounds of everyone having fun.

I read all of the posts about how beautiful this beach is ( I agree) and how much fun and relaxing it is. I guess my expectations were a little to high from reading about how great it is. Sometimes you need the negative to balance. Just because someone reads a negative does not make them not want to go.

So again sorry if I offended anyone and I truly am sorry. I have a right to my opinion just like everyone else.

Lisajoy, stop apologizing:) . There is nothing negative about this thread and I fail to see why anyone sees it that way. You posted your opinion and others posted theirs. That's a good thing. Questions have been asked and answered and I found it a very informative thread. In fact, I took notes.

There's no personal negativity going on here! For heavens sake, we're talking about a beach!:D

Archived