St Martin Shopping

Jthomasou

Has the main shopping area in St. Martin survived/rebuilt. Phillipsburg has been our go to shopping port on most of our Carribean cruises.

We are going in May to San Juan, St Kitts, Grand Turk, and St Martin.

Of those 4 St Martin was the best shopping port Pre Irma. I’m just trying to see if that’s still the case.

Has the main shopping area in St. Martin survived/rebuilt. Phillipsburg has been our go to shopping port on most of our Carribean cruises.

Of those 4 St Martin was the best shopping port Pre Irma. I’m just trying to see if that’s still the case.

The Island has been ripped apart.

It may take 5/10 years to get back to where it was pre Irma. Many shops, restaurants, bars and businesses are making a courageous comeback, but they need visitors to spend as much as they can, in a great variety of establishments, to make their rebuild effort work.

Therefore, one invites everyone to go, then spread your money about the island. An extra $10.00 here and there will make a difference, and will be greatly appreciated.

The sights will not be what you saw in the past, but do not sit on the ship, just go and contribute to the future of the island.

Phillipsburg itself in general had less damage from Irma than many areas of the island. The looters were the issue to many stores on Front Street and not the hurricane. Sure the signs were brought down and it looked pretty torn up right after the storm but much of that damage was to the store fronts and not to the stores themselves.

We spent the afternoon on New Year's Eve shopping and there were plenty of shops and restaurants open then and most likely there are more now.

We have a port day in St. Martin on March 28. We are on the Transaltantic sailing on the Viking Sea.

i plan to contribute to the post hurrican economy. Will buy the usual cute cotton outfits for my grandchilden there for sure.

We will be on a morning ship tour that takes us all over the island. It will be my first visit.

Will also be supporting San Juan PR with a two night stay before our cruise.

We were there on 2/22 and I’d say about half of the retail space in downtown Phillipsburg was closed or vacant. We were the only ship in port but it was pretty quiet. Fortunately my favorite cigar store was open!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was there last week. Parts of front street were beat up. Several stores not yet open. We still had a nice time on front street and the boardwalk. Spent some money and enjoyed the people, same as always.