LIVE from the Grandeur of the Seas - Canada/NE Sept 21-30

CLE2CRUISE

Great review. October 28th I'll be on the Grandeur for a 12 night cruise. I was wondering if they still have escargot on the menu in the main dining room each night? I love the Grandeur and the crew is the best. It also doesn't hurt being about 45 minutes from the port.

:DHello all!!! I haven't been able to log in through the app all day :(. But here I am now enjoying a beautiful Friday afternoon. The sunshine returned today and so did the kemmelweck! The solarium was crowded but I discovered the 10th deck with all of its open sunshine and beeezes. It's a perfect day up here.

I have to say, I'm glad today is the final night. Perhaps I choose too long of an itinerary for my first cruise. It's all been fun but also overstimulating and I'm looking forward to being home. Miss you, Cleveland!

When I can get back on the app I'll post some pics from Tod ay. Hope you're all having lovely weekends!! :D

Great review. October 28th I'll be on the Grandeur for a 12 night cruise. I was wondering if they still have escargot on the menu in the main dining room each night? I love the Grandeur and the crew is the best. It also doesn't hurt being about 45 minutes from the port.

Yes they do!! I have been enjoying it nightly. Yum yum!' I wished the shrimp cocktail was there every night too but so far I've only seen it once. We'll see tonight!

Enjoy your cruise! Yes it must be very nice to get there and home so quickly :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences on board Grandeur. My first cruise was on board the Grandeur as well- back in 1996, when she just made her debut and was as one of the largest ships in the world. Funny no? I loved the Grandeur! Still the same dinning room chairs I saw. Shooner- ah we so liked to sit there!

You will never forget your first cruise- no matter how many cruises you take - the first one is always special!

Yes they do!! I have been enjoying it nightly. Yum yum!' I wished the shrimp cocktail was there every night too but so far I've only seen it once. We'll see tonight!

Enjoy your cruise! Yes it must be very nice to get there and home so quickly :)

8fc665c09f7adfb35219b6e2a054b4b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for sharing your experiences on board Grandeur. My first cruise was on board the Grandeur as well- back in 1996, when she just made her debut and was as one of the largest ships in the world. Funny no? I loved the Grandeur! Still the same dinning room chairs I saw. Shooner- ah we so liked to sit there!

You will never forget your first cruise- no matter how many cruises you take - the first one is always special!

I have heard that from several people - thank you. I will try to keep it as special as possible. I'm excited to get home and start a scrapbook :)

Bye Bye, Grandeur of the Seas!!! 77156b5ec60d6d51ff24d19a5fa7fb32.jpg

Thank you for your lovely photos and reviews. Throughly enjoyed reading them. I am booked on the Grandeur out of Baltimore on that itinerary but not until May 2018. My first cruise with Royal Caribbean so it was great to read about it. Have cruised many times before though. I bet you are going to book another cruise now

Lisa, Really enjoyed reading your review this morning! What a surprise. Told Larry that I was going to look on CC to see if anyone had posted a live review of our cruise and there you were! Enjoyed talking with you through out the cruise. I would check with my sister each day to see if there had been a "Lisa sighting!" Again I would say to you, those rough seas were not typical. Think about the beautiful port days and how great the weather was on Friday. Love you food pics!

Thank you all so much for your kind words and praise. I do love writing so I appreciate it :D

Some final thoughts....

I really had a very good trip, despite those rough sea days. As Kybabe suggests, the beautiful days more than made up for it. I certainly had some WONDERFUL things to eat, enjoyed relaxing with delicious drinks and met so many new and interesting people. I got to see cities I never have before and discovered a whole world of people that basically live their lives on ships. I have adored being part of this site and got a lot of excitement out of planning my trip via these boards - which was a very unique affair. You all truly are a community and one full of a plethora of resources! I hope that I have added to that.

This being said, I don't know that I'll be cruising again anytime soon. Definitely someday, but I'm sorry to say I can't jump on board with those of you that do this several times a year. I think John and I were both a bit overstimulated. It seemed that everywhere we turned there were more things we wanted to do, to see, to experience and that was just a bit overwhelming. I'll need a few years to regain myself LOL. Also, while I met lots of fun people, I didn't feel like I had much privacy or spent quality time with just John and I. Maybe if we could afford a bigger room or suite, we would have had more of that. We've talked about doing Alaska some day and I'm so glad to know I'll be able to come here and get all the info I need to plan a terrific trip :)

In closing, if there is anything else I can answer or say about the Grandeur of the Seas, this itinerary or the crew, please let me know. The crew really was extraordinary and I now understand why so many have said that here. I am so glad to have had this adventure and become a part of this board. I collected so many wonderful memories on this cruise and I have a LOT more pictures so perhaps I'll add more of those, if anyone is interested. I'm sure I'll still be around, even if I'm not actively planning a cruise, because you all are such fun and I very much enjoy experiencing outings through you! I'll be looking for more live reviews! :)

Thanks for reading....:D

Lisa N.

We are on this cruise October 19th. Really looking forward to following along! We had a great time when we did this itinerary two years ago and can't wait to go again! Thanks for helping us get even more excited!

We saw very little colored foliage as the leaves were all still very green. Some said it was due to a warm finish in summer and the changes would come later this year. Hopefully you'll get to enjoy some on your cruise!!! :)

Lisa N

That food looks great How far from the best western is? Is it very expensive?

Sorry for the delayed response... just saw this.

There are two Best Westerns that shuttle you to the port. This was the one by the airport and the drive was 20-30 minutes. I didn't mind much on the way there but it was a bit annoying to wait 45 minutes for the shuttle drive to pick us up to take us back to our car (we arrived soon after one had left). Still, I think it was a really good deal. The room was $129 and I understand port parking is $15/day so wanting to be there the day before it made complete sense for us to not have to pay for parking.

Hope that helps!

Lisa N.

Thanks for all the posts so far. It looks like you are slowly but surely becoming a cruiseaholic. Don't worry, though. There are ways to treat that by booking your next cruise onboard so you have another one to look forward to while you're on shore leave! You must go to the Love and Marriage game show tonight. It's a riot and the couples chosen to participate will become minor celebrities on the ship tomorrow morning. Was wondering if they would do the Dancing with the Stripes on a 9-day sailing. The Hubs participated on our 12-night cruise in March and came in second place. We think he should have won, but his Gangnam Style must not have been what the judges were looking for in the finals. On that note, any thoughts about "Locomotion" in the Centrum, and do you happen to know if they will still be onboard in October? Thanks again and have a great day in CA!

You were absolutely right! We actually missed the live show because I thought it was in the Centrum and couldn't find it, plus the piano player, Kim and the drinks in the Schooner were too good to put much effort into leaving for :) We did catch the replay on the RCTV channel though and it was funny! Then everytime I saw the people on the ship afterward they were getting accolades. Just like minor celebs, as you said! Hahahah!

Lisa N.

I tried to get some pics of the offerings at Park Cafe but the reflections are awful. View at your own discretion.

Lots of muffins, pastries and donuts. They will make breakfast sandwich or burrito for you. They Fresh fruit, which is good. The other things are just ok. Good enough if you're hungry and want a snack. John had the carrot raisin muffin - which he said was dry and neither raisiny or carroty lol. I had a muffin sandwich the other day that was similar.

I want to come back and try a lunch sandwich. Hope they have soup too. Will let you know! *salute*20dd51e4131dfdbaf7494cd56cb3f320.jpgdc8f99c14cf6cc22bbd09bb66d113f2c.jpg

Btw it's a lovely spot to sit and sip coffee in the morning. You can see a lot of the city/port you're at and the coffee is fresh!

I meant to mention that I came back here one afternoon and got a grilled cheese sandwich (3 cheese panini) and LOVED it. They make them ahead of time but grill them when you order so it was nice and fresh. I think it was the one thing I ate and didn't take a photo of!! :o That was definitely the best thing I had at park cafe.

And my big complaint about this ship is the lack of potato chips. Even on sandwich day in the Windjammer there were no potato chips. Not even a big bowl to take from on the buffet. Park Cafe had small bags occasionally at lunch but it was a crapshoot. I had a bag of salt & vinegar one day but every other day they were out. Get some chips, Royal Caribbean!

Lisa N.

Some more windjammer for you. These were main dishes there was a chicken with mushrooms, several Indian options (I tried a curry in the first day and found it flavorless), a carving station with ham, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, grilled chicken and fish. Lots of others too that I'm forgetting. And they were setting up a pasta station too but I missed getting a pic. 62a79fa0feeb7d2fdc2169894aa65b35.jpg

d564ef836464c6c5f15d2d1e6ffad788.jpg

382a35f7cb5c10c858de09c4f0688c6a.jpgfc8c48f02330d1be015a0c284e41b46d.jpg

036d66633a0bf65929dcd73e26b114c9.jpg6819cd2e1bb9b836852a2772450a8d40.jpg

Those scalloped potatoes and mashed potatoes were really quite good!! Definitely my two favorite things in the Windjammer. I was disappointed in all the bread, which never tasted soft or fresh. The MDR breads were all fantastic though! I'm a huge fan of the cheese rolls!!!

Lisa N.