Pre-Cruise Accommodations

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:33 PM.
#1
Southern Ontario, Canada
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
My husband and I will be going on the 11 day Paul Gauguin cruise in January and we want to go a few days earlier to get over any jet lag. I would appreciate any comments about the Intercontinental in Moorea? We were looking at an over the water bungalow and most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are great to good. Our other concern is for food, we've heard that the area is very expensive! Any advice would be appreciated.
#2
1,150 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by OffCall
My husband and I will be going on the 11 day Paul Gauguin cruise in January and we want to go a few days earlier to get over any jet lag. I would appreciate any comments about the Intercontinental in Moorea? We were looking at an over the water bungalow and most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are great to good. Our other concern is for food, we've heard that the area is very expensive! Any advice would be appreciated.
There are a few places within walking distance. When you leave the IC go to your right ... take some water but it is within walking distance.

Shack Mahana & Les Tipaniers .... both are good and reasonable for this part of the world

There is also a market across the street which has stuff for the fridge and during lunch they sell 'plates' like you would see in Hawaii. Usually something like kung pao with rice on the side ... about $10 -$12 USD
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
July 26, 2017 on the Paul Gauguin

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.
#3
Southern Ontario, Canada
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Tahitianbigkahuna
There are a few places within walking distance. When you leave the IC go to your right ... take some water but it is within walking distance.

Shack Mahana & Les Tipaniers .... both are good and reasonable for this part of the world

There is also a market across the street which has stuff for the fridge and during lunch they sell 'plates' like you would see in Hawaii. Usually something like kung pao with rice on the side ... about $10 -$12 USD

Thank you
#4
Toronto, Ottawa Valley ON, and Dunedin FL
14,407 Posts
Joined May 2001
Everything in French Polynesia is expensive, yes. But as Kahuna said, there are places near the IC that are reasonable. Snack Mahana is one of them. There's also Le Petit VIllage which is fairly close, and there's a grocery there where you can pick up baguettes, beer and wine, etc. so you can save a bit and picnic in your bungalow. There may be a grocery store even closer, I don't know. And yes, Les Tipaniers is a nice place for lunch or dinner. Not cheap, but probably cheaper than the big resort hotels. We'll be checking in there for our second stay in, uh, ...just over three weeks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Seabourn Quest Canada, September 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Paul Gauguin Cook Islands & Society Islands, October 2017
Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014
Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
Radisson Diamond June, Black Sea 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010
#5
1,217 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
We just returned from 10 nights at Moorea Hilton. We booked it through Costco and purchased their meal package of breakfast and dinner. We've stayed their before and also at the Intercontinental. Both are beautiful properties. But the Hilton is pretty special.
#6
1,267 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Look at the Hilton instead. True overwater bungalows, great snorkeling, and a number of restaurants will pick you up at no charge for dinner (some do the same at the IC).

Food is very expensive and you need to adjust to this so that you can enjoy your stay.
#7
1,150 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Here is the skinny ... I've stayed at all the major resorts on Moorea.

In order of desirability

Best for a couple: Hilton, Sofitel
Best for snorkeling: Hilton, Sofitel
Best for families: IC, Manava
Best bang for the buck: Manava, IC
Best off-resort restaurant options within walking distance: Manava, IC
Best completely OWB: tie between Hilton / Sofitel
Closest to good shopping: Manava, IC
Most remote, away from everything: Sofitel
Best view of Tahiti: Sofitel
Most expansive resort: IC, Sofitel
Best pool area: IC, Hilton
Best beach in front of resort: Sofitel, Hilton

My personal favorites in this order: Hilton, Sofitel, IC, Manava
Reasoning: I love to snorkel and I usually rent a car so off the beaten trek is no big deal for me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Trips to the French Polynesia/South Pacific:
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (2), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Upcoming Trips to the South Pacific:
July 26, 2017 on the Paul Gauguin

Likes: Traveling to the South Pacific on the Paul Gauguin and taking beautiful pictures.
#8
Southern Ontario, Canada
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Tahitianbigkahuna
Here is the skinny ... I've stayed at all the major resorts on Moorea.



In order of desirability



Best for a couple: Hilton, Sofitel

Best for snorkeling: Hilton, Sofitel

Best for families: IC, Manava

Best bang for the buck: Manava, IC

Best off-resort restaurant options within walking distance: Manava, IC

Best completely OWB: tie between Hilton / Sofitel

Closest to good shopping: Manava, IC

Most remote, away from everything: Sofitel

Best view of Tahiti: Sofitel

Most expansive resort: IC, Sofitel

Best pool area: IC, Hilton

Best beach in front of resort: Sofitel, Hilton



My personal favorites in this order: Hilton, Sofitel, IC, Manava

Reasoning: I love to snorkel and I usually rent a car so off the beaten trek is no big deal for me.


Thank you!



Sent from my iPhone using Forums