Port Canaveral Rental Car Return- Party of 6 Would you drop off at port first?

mickeyhereicome

We will have a rental car from MCO-PC. We are a party of 6 with a bit of luggage (my in laws always over pack). We were thinking of dropping off 5 of us at the port with the luggage and then having my husband return the rental and take the shuttle back. I am figuring it will be easier for one person with no luggage to jump on a shuttle to the port vs 6 people with luggage.

Also, we are planning on getting a one way rental for the return as well. Our flight out of MCO isn't until 8pm. How is the rental car shuttle service at Port Canaveral. Is there good instruction on were to catch the shuttle? Is there any way for my husband to go get the rental and come back to pick us all up at the port?

We will have a rental car from MCO-PC. We are a party of 6 with a bit of luggage (my in laws always over pack). We were thinking of dropping off 5 of us at the port with the luggage and then having my husband return the rental and take the shuttle back. I am figuring it will be easier for one person with no luggage to jump on a shuttle to the port vs 6 people with luggage.

Also, we are planning on getting a one way rental for the return as well. Our flight out of MCO isn't until 8pm. How is the rental car shuttle service at Port Canaveral. Is there good instruction on were to catch the shuttle? Is there any way for my husband to go get the rental and come back to pick us all up at the port?

For your port drop off, I would do exactly as you suggest, drop off 5 people and all bags first, then drop the rental car.

I'd do the reverse for the trip back to the airport.

It's easy to find the rental car shuttle pick up areas, the port personnel will guide you. You may also want to consider using Uber instead of the shuttle, to make it faster. Sometimes the shuttles take a while to make their circuit. Should cost about $8 each way with Uber.

I agree with others. Drop them off first. I do that with my family and find it easier all around.

@Bob, thanks for the Uber suggestion. As you said, it's only $8, so if it's going to be a while, just buck up and catch an Uber.

• 6 months later...

When dropping my family off at the P.C. pier with our luggage, is there a place that they can comfortably wait for me to return?

I worry that they would either have to wait in the rain, or bake in the sun if it takes me a while to get back after dropping the car off pre cruise....

When dropping my family off at the P.C. pier with our luggage, is there a place that they can comfortably wait for me to return?

I worry that they would either have to wait in the rain, or bake in the sun if it takes me a while to get back after dropping the car off pre cruise....

What we did was drop off everyone but one. We took all the bags including carry ons. Then my husband drove the rental car back. All he took with him was his passport and cruise check in document. The rest of us went althrough the line and did the complete check in process. When my husband returned on the shuttle, we met him in the terminal. Hope that helps! As an FYI, taking the rental car shuttle after the cruise in P.C. Was terrible. I’d recommend Uber, taxi or only booking with Alamo group.

Maybe I am different, we always drop the rental car off first and take their shuttle to the ship. This way one person is not standing around wondering how long the other is going to take to get back in the hot sun.

If we were only a party of two that might be better but as a group of 6 having to transfer the luggage plus having to deal with all the other passengers waiting to take the shuttle to the port, dropping off made the most sense. As it was, because my husband was by himself he was able to jump the line and grab the passenger seat since the other groups were all more then one.

Just curious, what kind of car are you renting that will hold 6 people and luggage? We rented a standard SUV that says it hold 5/5 and I'm worried everything wont fit.

We rent a minivan. This past April we had a dodge caravan. We had 4 adults and 2 children (no car seats). The third row is a 60/40 split so we laid down the 40 and were able to get all the bags. They were stacked to the top and had some between the bucket seats in the second row. But I will add my in laws over pack. My family of 4 packed 3 large wheeled bags for the 4 of us and 2 backpacks. They packed 2 large and 2 wheeled carry ons plus 2 shoulder bags for the 2 of them. But it all fit. I am the standard suv is probably the size of a Chevy traverse. If you are only 5 seats and 3 will be in the second row you might fit. I find minivan the best option though. I also always book on Costco Travel and see to get the best rates. If you don’t have a Costco membership anyone you know that does can book for you. They never ask for the membership at check in and your name will be on the reservation. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We rent a minivan. This past April we had a dodge caravan. We had 4 adults and 2 children (no car seats). The third row is a 60/40 split so we laid down the 40 and were able to get all the bags. They were stacked to the top and had some between the bucket seats in the second row. But I will add my in laws over pack. My family of 4 packed 3 large wheeled bags for the 4 of us and 2 backpacks. They packed 2 large and 2 wheeled carry ons plus 2 shoulder bags for the 2 of them. But it all fit. I am the standard suv is probably the size of a Chevy traverse. If you are only 5 seats and 3 will be in the second row you might fit. I find minivan the best option though. I also always book on Costco Travel and see to get the best rates. If you don’t have a Costco membership anyone you know that does can book for you. They never ask for the membership at check in and your name will be on the reservation. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you!