Cruising while pregnant

kzulpo

Hello!

I've had an upcoming cruise booked for over a year, and last June discovered I am pregnant.

At my last OB appointment, I asked my doc his opinion about taking the trip and he said given my history of never having pre-term labor issues, he thought the cruise would be fine.

I went on Carnival's site to fill out Funpass and discovered that they don't allow women over 24 weeks pregnant to cruise. I'll be 25 when we leave for the cruise.

What would happen if I marked the "no" box to the pregnancy question and wore a big t-shirt the day of embarkation?

Well... you're only talking about a 1 week difference. I highly doubt that anyone will look at you and think "hey, she's 25 weeks along, not 24!" If they doc says it's ok, then in my opinion, it's ok ;) Have fun!

Thanks. :) My problem is they require a doctor's note stating I'm only 24 weeks, and I'd hate for my doc to be put on the spot. At this point, it's either go with the "no, I'm not pregnant" or cancel the cruise. :(

Hello!

I've had an upcoming cruise booked for over a year, and last June discovered I am pregnant.

At my last OB appointment, I asked my doc his opinion about taking the trip and he said given my history of never having pre-term labor issues, he thought the cruise would be fine.

I went on Carnival's site to fill out Funpass and discovered that they don't allow women over 24 weeks pregnant to cruise. I'll be 25 when we leave for the cruise.

What would happen if I marked the "no" box to the pregnancy question and wore a big t-shirt the day of embarkation?

Would it upset you if you showed up and they told you that you could not be allowed on the ship? Let your conscious be your guide in your response to the "yes-no" question.

Thanks. :) My problem is they require a doctor's note stating I'm only 24 weeks, and I'd hate for my doc to be put on the spot. At this point, it's either go with the "no, I'm not pregnant" or cancel the cruise. :(

Oh, wow sorry I didn't think about that. If you can't get your money back, I would definitely say "no" and go anyway. I can't imagine at 25 weeks the fact that your pregnant would be SO obvious as to raise any eyebrows. I wouldn't want to lie either, but put in the same situation I probably would... that's just me though :o

If, God forbid, anything happened and it was found out that your dr wrote you a note lying about the dates he could be sued and lose his right to practice. I am glad that you will not put him/her in this position. They have a cut off date for a reason - if you are willing to lie and take the chance it will totally be up to you, but they may request a letter if they notice you are pregnant and then where will you be. I personally would cancel.

If, God forbid, anything happened and it was found out that your dr wrote you a note lying about the dates he could be sued and lose his right to practice. I am glad that you will not put him/her in this position. They have a cut off date for a reason - if you are willing to lie and take the chance it will totally be up to you, but they may request a letter if they notice you are pregnant and then where will you be. I personally would cancel.

I wouldn't ask my doctor to lie. I really doubt any of the Canival staff could say anything to me if I simply mark "no" on the form. I'm not exactly petite, so it would be hard for them to distinguish between pregnant and fat in my case. :)

A friend of mine marked the "no" box and just wore baggy shirt.

She didn't have any problems at all.

With your doc saying "OK", I say go for it!

Thanks for the advice! Did she wear a baggy shirt for the whole cruise, or just for embarkation?

Not to be a naysayer - but what would you do if, God forbid, you had some type of emergency while onboard? I'm thinking that Carnival wouldn't have any liability if you lied on your forms? Just my opinion. Do you really want to take a chance with yours or your baby's life? Granted I'm speaking from a horrible view of things but some such emergencies have been known to happen even to healthy no-issues before pregnancies.

But what liability would they have if she was 24 weeks and she had a dr note? No more than if she says no. I would think the only difference is that if (God forbid) something did happen, after the fact Carnival could look for compensation or such.

OP - it's a judgement call, yours. Personally I would do it...

I wouldn't ask my doctor to lie. I really doubt any of the Canival staff could say anything to me if I simply mark "no" on the form. I'm not exactly petite, so it would be hard for them to distinguish between pregnant and fat in my case. :)

I know you would not ask your Dr to lie - you said that - and I said that I was glad that you were not going to put your Dr in that position. That being said, it is totally a personal choice and truly hope what ever decision you make all goes well for you.

How many weeks pregnant you are is actually not a science, and doctors can be off as much as 3 weeks.

Ask your doctor if there is a "spread" of time, and that if there is, could he narrow it down to the least of the weeks amount.

All he has to attest to is that by his best reckoning, the time could be anywhere from 22 to 25 weeks, and his recommendation is that you are perfectly healthy for cruising.

That would not be putting him in jeopardy, and would not allow the cruise line to deny you boarding.

Hello!

What box? My Funpass didn't ask if I were pregnant. :confused:

I would not lie. Will you get your money back if you cancel? Do you have insurance and would you be covered for the pregnancy reason?

Didn't we just see a recent case where someone went on a cruise, pregnant, and ended up having the baby in the stateroom bathroom. She said she didn't know she was pregnant.

I wouldn't risk it...this is your child. ;)

This will ruffle feathers but

This is the most selfish self centered thread I've seen in a while. Why one would risk the life of their unborn child like this is beyond me. On board medical facilities are not equipted to handle neo natal emergencies. You would have to be medevaced.

I can hear it,,,I'm only 25 weeks, what could happen? Rough seas and you fall down the stairs. Slippery deck and you fall. Someone accidently bumps you. Norovirus. Baby just says "Here I come"...

Worse case scenario is death.

Not nearly as important is the disruption of the cruise to 3000 other passengers.

Next is Carnival just doesn't allow you to board and you lose everything

Next is all goes well.

There is no medical reason to say a 23 week pregnant woman can cruise while a 25 week pregnant woman may not.

It's a legal liability issue, developed when 24 weeks was considered the lower limit of survivability.

I think doctors should be deciding the issue, case by case, not lawyers.

Hello!

When is your cruise:confused: Sounds like you are already past the cancellation phase and insurance does not cover pregnancy.....so it is totally your call! We had someone in our group that sailed at 27 weeks.....and back then I believe that was the cutoff....at 27 weeks.....it keeps changing..... Good luck!

Will Carnival investigate if you are pregnant or just chunky? Probably not. But will you actually be able to live with yourself if you go on your cruise and end up going into labor at 25 weeks? And instead of delivering in the US where they can quickly take your baby to a high level NICU and provide advanced, quality care and support the baby until they hopefully come home, you end up delivering in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, on a cruise ship where they probably don't even have neonatal ressucitation equipment, and likely no endotracheal tubes small enough for a micro-preemie, not to mention a physician that has probably never dealt with a child that small and even if they did somehow manage to intubate the baby, most likely wouldn't know the specific vent settings needed to prevent lung injury in these micro preemies?

Personally, I feel like cruising while pregnant is a huge risk, and all those people who did it and had no problems can be thanking their lucky stars. Even before 24 weeks, there are medications one can try if they go into premature labor. Why knowingly put yourself in what can potentially be a very bad situation?

Pregnancy is not a disease.

What about all those elderly folks with heart conditions who cruise? Shouldn't they stay home? They're a lot more likely to end up in trouble than an otherwise healthy pregnant woman who has approval from her obstetrician to travel.

Pregnancy is not a disease.

What about all those elderly folks with heart conditions who cruise? Shouldn't they stay home? They're a lot more likely to end up in trouble than an otherwise healthy pregnant woman who has approval from her obstetrician to travel.

if the old person dies they're just glad they were doing what they love to do, a newborn doesn't have a voice.

if the old person dies they're just glad they were doing what they love to do, a newborn doesn't have a voice.

So a woman is nothing but a vessel for a fetus?

Even if her doctor okays travel, she should stay at home on lockdown for 40 weeks "just in case"?

That's absurd.

Archived