Explore4 and Mariner's Points

mame42

This question has not occurred to me previously, perhaps because I have never had a booking where I qualified for the Explore4.

How does the beverage card affect onboard spending credits for Mariner's points? Does one still get credit for the amount charged to the card?

You aren't charging anything to your on-board account when you have Explore 4, so there is no credit to be applied to your Mariner "days". The Explore 4 is a gift from HAL, at no cost to your on-board account. Any cost of the Explore 4 is part of your cruise fare, and that does not count toward Mariner days.

Now, if you were to purchase the Signature Beverage Card, the price of the card itself would count toward your Mariner days. But there would be no additional benefit when you used it for drinks.

This question has not occurred to me previously, perhaps because I have never had a booking where I qualified for the Explore4.

How does the beverage card affect onboard spending credits for Mariner's points? Does one still get credit for the amount charged to the card?

Mariner points are based on your final bill. As there are no charges for X-4 drinks and other things, they don't count in the total.

I know that it does not make much sense, but here is an example of how it works:

On an upcoming cruise you get $900 in OBC from the Anniversary Sale. When you spend this $900 onboard you earn 3 Mariner days.

Now, you decide to exchange it for the current Explore4 program, which has free drinks. (lets assume the drinks are worth about $900 to you, so its a "wash" value wise. In this example, you do not earn any Mariner days (from using the drinks).

Not fair IMO, but thats how it works on HAL.

I know that it does not make much sense, but here is an example of how it works:

On an upcoming cruise you get $900 in OBC from the Anniversary Sale. When you spend this $900 onboard you earn 3 Mariner days.

Now, you decide to exchange it for the current Explore4 program, which has free drinks. (lets assume the drinks are worth about $900 to you, so its a "wash" value wise. In this example, you do not earn any Mariner days (from using the drinks).

Not fair IMO, but thats how it works on HAL.

Not really. If you decide to use the $900 OBC to purchase the SBP then you would still receive the 3 Mariner days. A purchase is a purchase.

Rockfan2

Not really. If you decide to use the $900 OBC to purchase the SBP then you would still receive the 3 Mariner days. A purchase is a purchase.

Rockfan2

We are discussing the Explore4 program which gives you the SBP for free. In this case, he SBP does not earn you anything.