What money to use on islands?

I am cruising to the Caribbean islands - do I need to exchange american dollars to go shopping, tours or buy food on the islands? I really don't want to use a credit card because the exhange rate fromt he credit card companies are horrible I hear.

We too have never had any problems using cash or credit cards.

However if you do plan on using CC's you should call and advise them of your travel plans. This way your card won't get denied because they think the number was stolen.

###

Actually you will get the current rate of exchange the day you purchase your items on your bank charge card. Unless your company adds unusual fees, it's best to use the credit card. Call and ask if they have any fees. We don't, but have heard that some companies stick it to you.

But..that being said, any cruise port in the Caribbean will take American money... but you will get THEIR currency back in change. So carry some small bills.

We use both when we cruise. Mostly charge. If we're just picking up a bottled water or soda we'll pay with cash. And too the little outdoor market places will want cash.

Although we usually pay in cash, if we use a credit card we almost always use an American Express card - sometimes Visa, and it is all done in US dollars - there is no exchange rate and there are no extra fees.

Archived