Tipping The Porters at the Terminal

sealady1

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie and these questions and concerns keep popping into my head. I am cruising to Bermuda 5/16 out of NYC. We are travelling to the terminal by bus. The bus company has informed us that our luggage will go directly to the ship from the bus. There are other threads on CC that advise you to have tips handy to give to the porters. I know that these porters work very hard to get everyone's luggage to its rightful place on the ship and they are deserving of a few $$ extra beyond their paycheck for their effort. But how does one give a tip when there is no direct contact with the porter? Do you give it to the bus driver and have him give it to the porter? Or in this circumstance is the tip unnecessary? I wouldn't want to offend anyone or appear like a cheapskate. Thank you.

If you actually come into contact with the porter, tip them. If you don't see them (and that's been the case multiple times when on a shuttle), then you don't need to wait around to tip them. The bus driver will oversee the unloading of your bags. You are paying a premium to ride the shuttle. That should be quite enough!

These are not "our" rules...the folks paying them take care of their employees....don't worry about their pay, or anything else....I'm betting no one but YOU worries about your pay! Most of the "porters" are union...they get paid well!

If you actually come into contact with the porter, tip them. If you don't see them (and that's been the case multiple times when on a shuttle), then you don't need to wait around to tip them. The bus driver will oversee the unloading of your bags. You are paying a premium to ride the shuttle. That should be quite enough!

These are not "our" rules...the folks paying them take care of their employees....don't worry about their pay, or anything else....I'm betting no one but YOU worries about your pay! Most of the "porters" are union...they get paid well!

In New York, both the bus drivers and the porters are experts in making sure you know they are around and unloading your luggage.;):D

Archived