Digital Photos Only Cost on 7 day cruise?

italianfemmy

Here a quote from my November 2017 Vista Cruise blog:

“We were told that for $200, we could get 10 pictures on our phone, those same 10 on a USB stick, 2 large printouts, and a canvas photo. That's outrageously priced. We were also told that we could buy a digital photo on our phone for $15, and printouts started at $20.”

I know that doesn’t fully answer your question but I hope it’s a start!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

“We were told that for $200, we could get 10 pictures on our phone, those same 10 on a USB stick, 2 large printouts, and a canvas photo. That's outrageously priced. We were also told that we could buy a digital photo on our phone for $15, and printouts started at $20.”

Is there a blog for each ship? If so, where can I find it?

I cannot argue that pictures are pricey. Pixels had improved what was in place prior. Curious about the price point, what would make it work for you?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

8x10s run at $25 each. I figure if I'm getting 10 8x10s at $20 each plus a canvas print, that's not a bad deal. Photos are just plain expensive on a cruise ship.

My wife and I were just talking on this very subject. She almost word for word echoed your comments. I don't think I have ever been around when she has purchased pics.....now I know the prices, I may follow her next time.

My wife and I were just talking on this very subject. She almost word for word echoed your comments. I don't think I have ever been around when she has purchased pics.....now I know the prices, I may follow her next time.

Patti always gets the pictures. Once in a blue moon she'll ask me to take a look and give an opinion. I think we're better off this way Jimbo!!! :D:D:D

Patti always gets the pictures. Once in a blue moon she'll ask me to take a look and give an opinion. I think we're better off this way Jimbo!!! :D:D:D

Ignorance is bliss.

I saw this before I posted here but it does not include a digitals only option without getting the prints. :( :loudcry:

I should note that I am more picky than most. I am a professional photographer and cruise line photos are not professional. Are they better than we can take on our smart phones and point and shoot cameras in regards to quality? Yes. Are the backdrops and props nice? Sure. But, when I edit my client photos, I hand edit them. Every single portrait is treated different based on the lighting of the subject, based on their skin pigmentation, based on the color saturations and based on the skin texture of my subjects. The cruise lines run a contrast, smoothing, etc filter over the images and pop them out like biscuits by the thousands every day. They don't individually hand edit the photos.

They have expenses and should get paid fairly for that. The staff to set up and shoot the images, the staff required to run the photo sales as well as the space to do the photo business and overhead expenses such as paper, ink, machinery, backdrops, lights, cameras, memory cards, props, etc.

However, I do believe that $25 for an 8x10 of a NON hand retouched image is too high. And I personally do not want prints that are not properly edited and just have a basic skin smoothing filter ran all over the image. With that said, I do enjoy the memories. On RCC in 2014, we were able to purchase our digital images and I was quite thrilled with that. They even said they didn't mind me editing them to make them more the way I wanted them. They even gave me the original files without the over plastic smoothing so that I could hand edit them myself.

Would I ever ask a professional photographer that I hire locally to let me edit my own photos? No. Because I'd be hiring them based on their work, their website, their finished product and entrusting them to make my images beautiful with their hand edits.

But on a cruise ship, I don't get a choice. I do take my own professional photos and even bring a tripod and remote but there are locations you're not allowed to take your own photos. If they would hand edit and tailor the editing to customer preferences like any regular pro photography studio, I'd be willing to purchase the prints. But as it is, I have over 100 prints from past cruises that I am not keen on and have zero on display.