Caribbean Cruise

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:44 AM.
11 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by ChalkDust55
Do u have to go alone?.? You will think too much. Everyone is different. I love the motion of the ship. It relaxes me. You will not know until you get there. But the movement of the ship is like any boat on the water. If you are this fearful, don’t do it unless you have a buddy who LOVES cruising. You are setting yourself up by already asking for an out. It is too much money for this much apprehension. Do a Riverboat Cruise instead. No open waters

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Yea I've asked everyone unless you can come with me.
11 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by butterflylarvae
Yea I've asked everyone unless you can come with me.
I did a river cruise and I loved it. I told myself I would try that first. There wasnt really any motion though there. I can imagine in the ocean its going to be different.
SoCal
10,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Hmm so it sounds like maybe it's a possibility?? for a cruise leaving from FL and ending in PR that I could get off I needed to before it reached PR.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on where you get on the ship (beginning of cruise), where you are supposed to get off the ship (end of cruise), and where you actually get off.

As noted, you MUST call your cruise line and ask them. And it must be arranged beforehand. It's very unlikely that you will be able to make the decision to get off the ship at a port other than your debarkation port once onboard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
21 Cruises, 13 ships, 202 nights
SoCal
10,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thank you. I think it would be amazing to have someone go with me. Is there a particular place on this forum to find someone that is sane to go with
No place on Cruise Critic to "meet" others to pair up with.

For the same, basic, reason as you seem to be aware of - no way of knowing if they are "sane".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boynton Beach, Fl
1,080 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
My husband used to get seasick and was very concerned about cruising. Our first cruise was many, many years ago before ships had the great stabilizers that they have now. We took a 4 day cruise, and when he actually enjoyed being on the ocean, we increased the length of our cruises to a minimum of 14 days. Good luck and try not to worry too much. If my husband could enjoy cruising, almost anyone can.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
joan
354 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I am not advocating the words below, rather curious as to what the ship has to do paperwork wise in this scenario.
If a person is late back to the boat, I have seen them take luggage off and leave it with the harbor master office, how is this different from a customs perspective to someone voluntarily leaving a cruise at a port half way through the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
SoCal
10,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by SoCalCruzzing
I am not advocating the words below, rather curious as to what the ship has to do paperwork wise in this scenario.
If a person is late back to the boat, I have seen them take luggage off and leave it with the harbor master office, how is this different from a customs perspective to someone voluntarily leaving a cruise at a port half way through the trip?

Well, there's the difference that in one scenario the ship has put them ashore. The other, they left the ship voluntarily.

Don't know what, if any, impact that has on whether the ship must now process the paperwork differently (as they must do if someone voluntarily is permitted to debark early). I'd suspect there's no difference in that respect.

Plus, any fines (if there are any) would be passed on to the person who left the ship without permission.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Point Richmond CA
5,284 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Shmoo here
No place on Cruise Critic to "meet" others to pair up with.

For the same, basic, reason as you seem to be aware of - no way of knowing if they are "sane".

Or vice versa.

SoCal
10,239 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
Or vice versa.

True.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cincinnati
3,109 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
I surely hope so. My aunt says it doesn't even feel like you are on a boat. Is that true? Is there alot of movement? Since I'm going alone I always wonder if im up at night if it would scare me if i had to deal with some motion.

This is true. It doesn’t feel like any boat you have been on. There is some motion. But the entire room is moving and it’s just different than a sail boat. More like a plane.

Do you get motion sick at home? In cars, planes, buses, amusement park rides? If the answer is no, you almost certainly will not get sick. If the answer is yes, you should look into motion sickness remedies. I am very motion sickness prone. I’ve used the patch (prescription only) and bonine (otc) with good experiences.

As far as motion in the room at night, I find it pleasant. It’s a bit like being rocked to sleep in a hammock when the boat is moving.

I would focus less on whether you can get off in port - and yes, if there’s an emergency and you need to get off they will work with you. But cruises aren’t meant to be a la carte where you board and disembark wherever you please. They are less accommodating to people planning on leaving early because it changes they paperwork they have to do. Focus more on how to enjoy your cruise so you don’t want to get off!

Boston, MA
119 Posts
Joined May 2015
Ok, if you're worried about seasickness and the motion, try one of the megaships. I was just on Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) a couple of weeks ago, and it felt a lot like a hotel on land. when I was inside on the promendade, I couldn't even feel the movement. At dinner, I felt the vibration of the engines, but no movement. Talk to a travel agent who specializes in cruises. They've been on many of the ships, and will be able to guide you to a cabin where you're less likely to feel motion as well as a ship that gives you little to no sensation of moving.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Dawn 10/17/14-10/24/14 Bermuda....er, Bahamas (Hurricane Gonzalo revised my itinerary)
Norwegian Gem 7/11/15-7/18/15 Florida & Bahamas
Norwegian Getaway 1/10/16-1/17/16 Western Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 12/20/16-1/6/2017 Eastern Caribbean

Oasis of the Seas 10/29/2017-11/12/2017 - Western & Eastern...er, Western x2 Caribbean (Hurricanes Irma and Maria this time)