Best Shrimp in Mazatlan-Victor's or Tony's on the Beach or ??

dreamorone

Good Afternoon

We will be in Mazatlan in two weeks and would like your opiniion on the best shrimp in Mazatlan. I love the kahlua shrimp at Tony's on the Beach and have heard rave reviews about Victors on Stone Island. What do you think? Or is there anywhere better?

Thank You

Just had Coconut Shrimp there last Wednesday off the Dawn Princess! AWESOME. As good as I remember from when I had it 7 years ago. So good we had to order another one! Oh by the way we hate coconut. One of the top 3 things we ate the entire trip and all the food in San Diego.

Gee, we are going to be there almost the same time you will be...we are sailing down that way Feb 5........However we are going to Tony's....(doing private tour with Mazatlan Frank)......We'll try to report back to the board on how that all turns out......

Gee, we are going to be there almost the same time you will be...we are sailing down that way Feb 5........However we are going to Tony's....(doing private tour with Mazatlan Frank)......We'll try to report back to the board on how that all turns out......

Thanks! You will have a great time with Frank. We toured with him awhile back. He is amazing. He has a degree in business I think it is and speaks perfect English. That is how we got introduced to Tony's on the Beach and have returned there for kahlua and garlic shrimp each time we go back. The Imperial Platter was great. Enjoy. I just keep reading about Victors on Stone Island. We may just go to Stone Island early and try a little of their food and then back to the Golden zone for a very late lunch at Tonys. Can't decide.

Happy Sails

Kathy

You can even get a plate that has both garlic & coconut shrimp at Victor's. Just ask Chris... no problem. DD13 really enjoyed her shrimp kabob too!

Oh, how I wish I were back there in that hammock with my Pacifico instead of looking at rain thru my window at work. :(

Thanks! You will have a great time with Frank. We toured with him awhile back. He is amazing. He has a degree in business I think it is and speaks perfect English. That is how we got introduced to Tony's on the Beach and have returned there for kahlua and garlic shrimp each time we go back. The Imperial Platter was great. Enjoy. I just keep reading about Victors on Stone Island. We may just go to Stone Island early and try a little of their food and then back to the Golden zone for a very late lunch at Tonys. Can't decide.

Happy Sails

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Which tour did you take with Frank? We're going to be in Mazatlan on April 2 and are trying to decide.

Thanks!

Hi Kathy,

Which tour did you take with Frank? We're going to be in Mazatlan on April 2 and are trying to decide.

Thanks!

Hi,

It was awhile ago and I don't remember the name. We went to the colonial village, the bakery with the yummy Mexican rolls, brick making place, tile-making place(I should have bought a couple more). These were all small operations, just a couple of people. It illustrated the non factory way of doing these crafts. I thought it was interesting that tour buses from the ships seemed to pull up right after we left some of these places. We were lucky to to visit the hacienda of one of the founding families in the village as well. Tony's for lunch was next and then a city tour combined with shopping. It was a full day. Frank is great. He is deserving of all the praise you hear about him on the boards. You will enjoy whatever you do with him, and the food at Tony's is yummy. It isn't just the shrimp and Mexican lobster, but the tortilla soup, and chips and salsa, Corona and everything.Enjoy. It has been fun reminiscing about that day. Enjoy!!!

Happy Sails

Kathy

You can even get a plate that has both garlic & coconut shrimp at Victor's. Just ask Chris... no problem. DD13 really enjoyed her shrimp kabob too!

Oh, how I wish I were back there in that hammock with my Pacifico instead of looking at rain thru my window at work. :(

You and me both! What a wonderful day we spent on Stone Island at Victor's. Out of all the stops on the Riviera trips it would be hard to choose between Victor's, Stone Island and The Office, in Cabo. Both are on the beach, both have wonderful food, much more serene on Stone Island but Cabo is wonderful in it's way, too.

Hi,

It was awhile ago and I don't remember the name. We went to the colonial village, the bakery with the yummy Mexican rolls, brick making place, tile-making place(I should have bought a couple more). These were all small operations, just a couple of people. It illustrated the non factory way of doing these crafts. I thought it was interesting that tour buses from the ships seemed to pull up right after we left some of these places. We were lucky to to visit the hacienda of one of the founding families in the village as well. Tony's for lunch was next and then a city tour combined with shopping. It was a full day. Frank is great. He is deserving of all the praise you hear about him on the boards. You will enjoy whatever you do with him, and the food at Tony's is yummy. It isn't just the shrimp and Mexican lobster, but the tortilla soup, and chips and salsa, Corona and everything.Enjoy. It has been fun reminiscing about that day. Enjoy!!!

Happy Sails

Kathy

Thanks for the info Kathy. I'll look over Frank's website and see what I can figure out. Can't wait for this cruise, that's for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
Please let me how to get in touch with Frank. We are going to be there the week of 2/24 and would like info.

thanks,

His website is http://www.mazatlan-frank.com/CITYeng.html

and can be emailed at frank@mazatlan-frank.com.

We are booked with him on our upcoming cruise. Looking forward to Tony's on the Beach for shrimp.

The Shrimp Factory is just what it sounds like. A factory kind of shrimp. For fresh shrimp, either Tony's on the beach or Victor's on the Island. If you are afraid of FRESH shrimp instead of frozen and caught who knows where then the Shrimp Factory would be for you but if not try one of the other 2.

Scruffers:)

Victor's is not only worth it for the freshest shrimp, but it is also just a very relaxing spot to hang out on the beach enjoying the sun and cold beer. The water is wonderful and the view is outstanding, not to mention no crowds. You can walk down the beach for miles or horseback ride down the beach for miles. Anyway, you can't even compare this spot to the "golden zone".

Hi,

We just got back from our cruise on the Golden. I could not resist the call of Tony's kahlua shrimp. They were awesome-stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and sauted in Kahlua, I think. Even better than I remembered. The tortilla soup was wonderful and Don really enjoyed his Mexican Lobster. I guess we will always go to Tony's on the Beach because it is so great. Frank had a tour come in while we were there. Another group from the Golden that had read about Tony's on Cruise Critic were enjoying their meal there. The food is outstanding and the service is great. Everyone is so very friendly. It is always fun.

If we were in Mazatlan for more than one day once a year, I am sure we would try other places for shrimp, but on our one day we will continue to go to Tony's because for us it is not an urban myth but a true urban legend.

Thanks to all who responded.:)

Happy Sails

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...
That certainly didn't sound right! I wasn't looking for someone to share the cost of our lobster! I should word that differently! Would you mind telling me what the cost of the lobster was?

Diane

Hi again,

Sorry about that. I got kicked off the computer and had a terrible time getting back on. Tony's is located between the Caravale and Fiesta Hotels in the Golden Zone. The taxi cost was $12 to get there and $10 to return to the ship. You can go by bus, but i don't know how. We had the Imperial Platter for 2 which consists of tortilla soup, potatoes, veggies and rice I think. 3 large Mexican lobsters and 6 large shrimp are served over a small oveny thing. The cost was $40. I really don't know other prices. Following are directions I copied from a CCer long ago.

You can do many things in Mazatlan. Either organized tours or go on your own to see some places. If you like the beaches, there is a nice restaurant on the beach called TONYS ON THE BEACH (there are other Tonys but this is the best). It is in between Caravelle and Fiesta Inn Hotels, next to another restaurant called Chili Peppers. You can sit down in a chair with a table and umbrella right on the sand, or, upstairs on the side of the beach watching the sea and having a margarita or piña colada. They have excellent Mexican or Sea food. Another choice is to go to a Hotel to use their instalations, like El Cid. As long as you spend some money there (food, drinks) they normally are happy to have you there. In case you want to do some snorkling, or kayaks, they have an aqua sports center.

Another choice is a visit to the Mazatlan Aquarium, which is very nice and they also have a Botanical garden and some shows with sea lions and birds.

I would also do a walk thru the Old Mazatlan, where there are many sidewalk cafes with excellent food also.

I could go on and on with the list, but I hope I gave you a little idea of something to Whatever you decide, enjoy this beautiful city.

Enjoy

Happy Sails

Kathy

We went to The Shrimp Factory last week while in Mazatlan and none of our grouip was impressed with the food quality or quantity. And I had two margaritas that were no better than any standard pre-mix that you could pick up at the grocery store.

Mike:)

Just back from the Pride.

Went to Stone Island and Victors.

Used directions from this board.

It was wonderful.

Sat on the beach chairs with a table and umbrella, a friendly dog at my feet, a beer in my hand and coconut shrimp in my mouth.

Perrrrrrrfect !

PS Chris takes good care of you.

Archived