Missing Items from Stateroom

Taz_1

Has anyone experienced items going missing from their stateroom. Having looked on here, I can see little in the way of suggested missing items.

We have only recently returned from a cruise on QV and my wife is very upset to find two items missing. One of the items was a bracelet I gave her for our 25th wedding anniversary last year. Both items were in their original boxes and were packed safely in her hand luggage on the day of disembarkation. After getting ourselves ready, we went to breakfast foolishly leaving our hand luggage on the bed. On returning 30 minutes later to collect them, the room had been made up. We collected the bags and left the room to wait to disembark. It was only when we put everything away at home that the items were found to be missing. I dont want to blame the room stewards at they do an excellent job and are known to be trustworthy, but I cant think of any other explanation.

Has anyone experienced items going missing from their stateroom. Having looked on here, I can see little in the way of suggested missing items. We have only recently returned from a cruise on QV and my wife is very upset to find two items missing. One of the items was a bracelet I gave her for our 25th wedding anniversary last year. Both items were in their original boxes and were packed safely in her hand luggage on the day of disembarkation. After getting ourselves ready, we went to breakfast foolishly leaving our hand luggage on the bed. On returning 30 minutes later to collect them, the room had been made up. We collected the bags and left the room to wait to disembark. It was only when we put everything away at home that the items were found to be missing. I dont want to blame the room stewards at they do an excellent job and are known to be trustworthy, but I cant think of any other explanation.
Hi Taz_1,

This is something I have never previously heard of, either here on CC or on board.

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of these precious and irreplaceable items. I too have a few small items (in my case of very little monetary value) that are priceless to me (and with no value to anyone else). I don't know how I would react if I was to lose them.

I can offer no explanation, it is of course easy to be wise after the event, I leave passport, money and valuables in the safe until the last possible moment, but then one could easily leave the ship without them! (I did once leave something trivial in a cabin, years ago).

I would strongly doubt that the steward would be responsible, and equally doubt that a passenger would go through a bag on a bed (in a cabin with an open door, whilst being serviced) on the off-chance there was something of value in it. And, without causing any offence, I presume you are totally and absolutely certain that these items weren't left in a drawer or in the safe? (I'm sure you've been through that many times). And that no-one could have taken the items between ship and home? I am only asking, please do not be offended by me suggesting this, if you've covered this already (sure you have).

It is a mystery.

(I once thought I'd lost a watch, it turned up nearly three months later when I went to put on a pair of shoes and my left foot found it!)

Again, you have my sincere sympathy for your loss, I'd be devastated if something similar happened to me, and do know that sick feeling in the stomach when one realises that something valuable has vanished forever.

With all possible best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

A couple of years ago after getting in to our stateroom I went to re set the safe only to find a passport and wallet inside so it does happen....needless to say we called the pursers office straight away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bunkrest

Hi Taz_1,

This is something I have never previously heard of, either here on CC or on board.

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of these precious and irreplaceable items. I too have a few small items (in my case of very little monetary value) that are priceless to me (and with no value to anyone else). I don't know how I would react if I was to lose them.

I can offer no explanation, it is of course easy to be wise after the event, I leave passport, money and valuables in the safe until the last possible moment, but then one could easily leave the ship without them! (I did once leave something trivial in a cabin, years ago).

I would strongly doubt that the steward would be responsible, and equally doubt that a passenger would go through a bag on a bed (in a cabin with an open door, whilst being serviced) on the off-chance there was something of value in it. And, without causing any offence, I presume you are totally and absolutely certain that these items weren't left in a drawer or in the safe? (I'm sure you've been through that many times). And that no-one could have taken the items between ship and home? I am only asking, please do not be offended by me suggesting this, if you've covered this already (sure you have).

It is a mystery.

(I once thought I'd lost a watch, it turned up nearly three months later when I went to put on a pair of shoes and my left foot found it!)

Again, you have my sincere sympathy for your loss, I'd be devastated if something similar happened to me, and do know that sick feeling in the stomach when one realises that something valuable has vanished forever.

With all possible best wishes.

You are quite right to question other possibilities. We have thought about nothing else for a few days before even contacting insurance and Cunard. Value is around £500, so more than you want to loose. Quite honestly, we thoroughly checked the room and every drawer/safe etc. before we left the room so it is unlikely we missed two items, both in boxes.

As far as it going missing elsewhere, my wife kept her bag (and my camera bag) on the trolley whilst I collected the cases. We were transported back to the car where the hand luggage was on our knees and then drove home.

I have a panic moment after almost every trip......knowing exactly where I had put my items. Each and every time I find the missing item in an odd place...having put it in a "safe place" at the last minute. There is so much to keep track of on the last evening, even the most well organized sometimes do the odd thing.

Taz_1....I sincerely hope you have the same luck. Best wishes....I know that awful feeling too well.

Has anyone experienced items going missing from their stateroom. Having looked on here, I can see little in the way of suggested missing items.

We have only recently returned from a cruise on QV and my wife is very upset to find two items missing. One of the items was a bracelet I gave her for our 25th wedding anniversary last year. Both items were in their original boxes and were packed safely in her hand luggage on the day of disembarkation. After getting ourselves ready, we went to breakfast foolishly leaving our hand luggage on the bed. On returning 30 minutes later to collect them, the room had been made up. We collected the bags and left the room to wait to disembark. It was only when we put everything away at home that the items were found to be missing. I dont want to blame the room stewards at they do an excellent job and are known to be trustworthy, but I cant think of any other explanation.

I feel sad that you think it may have been stolen. But when we go for our last breakfast we leave our handluggage on the sofa lock the door, the steward may come in to strip the bed that is all, other times when the steward is inthe the room the door is always kept wide open, maybe we have been lucky ? but we have always fully trusted the staff.:confused:

I always carry my valuables with me on that last day as I know that the steward and any other helpers will be inside my cabin making up the bed - even if they don't do the bathroom because I've told them I'll return. Also, doors may be left open while they go elsewhere to collect fresh bedding, etc. It's a nuisance carrying them but I always have the feeling that the room is no longer my own.

It's easy to give advice after the event, but I'm so sorry that you have lost these items.

I have been unable to find two items after cruises. I can only assume that one (a necklace I'd bought in St Petersburg on a previous cruise, of little value) had been left in the safe and unseen because of its small size. The other, I have no idea as I inspect safes carefully now. I have assumed that in both cases it was my own fault as they were not particularly valuable items, just pendants I liked a lot.

We leave carry ons in the closet when we go to breakfast (out of sight) and also tell our cabin stewart that we will be back.

I've also been known to tuck an item into a folded sweater....come home and put the folded sweater right back in its proper place. :)

I feel sad that you think it may have been stolen. But when we go for our last breakfast we leave our handluggage on the sofa lock the door, the steward may come in to strip the bed that is all, other times when the steward is inthe the room the door is always kept wide open, maybe we have been lucky ? but we have always fully trusted the staff.:confused:

I actually do trust the ships crew and never had such a problem.

On disembarkation days the cleaning crew is supported by local subcontractors. I have no reason to trust them and so I always carry personal belongings to the QG for breakfast.

It really is such a sad ending to your cruise!

My husband and I have different attitudes to what to do with precious items on last mornings...he confidently leaves his wallet etc in the LOCKED safe while we breakfast , but I still check it for anything possibly left behind even after he says he has taken it all out , and before we leave the cabin for good.

I prefer to carry EVERYTHING precious to breakfast .. money , passports , airline tickets , jewellery I don't put in my "big" luggage......and it is a hassle carrying EVERYTHING but to my mind the cabin steward/ess can't do it all and keep the cabin door shut 100% of the time while you are away, to prevent anyone else going into the cabin while your other bags are still there. If the door is left open even for a moment or two while they work elsewhere, it is an opportunity for something as gut wrenching as this to occur .

I am so sorry your things have gone missing and hope you will be recompensed at least, but I do understand how much this will sadden you.

I have just been searching for something I knew I had taken on our last cruise but could not find anywhere in the house even although I was certain it was definitely unpacked after our cruise!

Checking the suitcases was a last effort to see if by chance it had been left in my case....which I was utterly convinced was wasted effort ...and there in the corner unseen by me during the unpacking, mixed up with the internal elastic straps, was the lost item.So you can find a surprise later on.

We have to assume you have absolutely checked every possible place the missing items could have been placed without success , so it is indeed a sad ending to your holiday. I am so sorry for your loss.

Yes I had a pearl necklace and bracelet which "vanished" from my bedside table, i usually put jewellery in the safe but changed outfits at the last minute before going to dinner and put it in the drawer for quickness. When I came back they had gone. Oddly the room service tag on my turned down bed was taken out of the same closed drawer - I know this as it was the same one I had completed in pen the night before, changed my mind about room service and had placed in my drawer.

On one of the cruises I was missing large sum of money from a safe and have reported it. On my return home I have found the money that I have prepared to take. Had to contact cruise line to report. The worst part was that I had to face the same room steward on the next cruise who said: You are the person who lost the money on cruise and had to ring cruise company when you found it at home. I was so embarrassed.

Burchan, at least you were honest enough to report you'd found the money, despite your embarrassment. For someone as obviously honest as you, it would have been terrible to meet that same steward on the next cruise and know you hadn't cleared his/her name.

Well done for the phone call.

On one of the cruises I was missing large sum of money from a safe and have reported it. On my return home I have found the money that I have prepared to take. Had to contact cruise line to report. The worst part was that I had to face the same room steward on the next cruise who said: You are the person who lost the money on cruise and had to ring cruise company when you found it at home. I was so embarrassed.

They are used to this like any retirement home.

I actually do trust the ships crew and never had such a problem.

On disembarkation days the cleaning crew is supported by local subcontractors. I have no reason to trust them and so I always carry personal belongings to the QG for breakfast.

I do the same. Passport,money etc... in a small shoulder bag.

If a member of the crew is found stealing, they are put off at the next port and have to find their way home. If they have any family members working for Cunard, they would also lose their jobs and never be able to work in the cruise industry again.

Given such draconian measures, I think the crew can be trusted.

A couple of years ago a lady had her camera stolen from the Grills Lounge and on my transatlantic a couple of weeks ago the lady from the art gallery left her iphone on the desk. When she went back to retrieve it, it was gone. I don't think crew members were resopnsible.

Really? Fancy that.

But then again what makes anyone think that people aboard ship are any different then people in general.

It's hard to believe that people who spent that kind of money would resort to stealing from others. Then again...my deterrent would be that I'm a captive audience with no where to go with my stolen goods. And the cameras in all public rooms and hallways. :eek:

Happened on Cunard? Hard to believe.

But then again what makes anyone think that people aboard ship are any different then people in general.

Have you ever heard of Cleptomania? This disorientation is found in all societies.