ADVICE: Unsafe beaches/clubs and areas to avoid?

manmtnmike

OK... my DW heard some reports of safety concerns in Coz. Been there twice and we just explored on our own.

I guess we need advice on safe excursions... for snorkeling first and then the most popular hang-outs for later. Be great to combine the two!!

What do you think?

Thanks!

Mike

OK... my DW heard some reports of safety concerns in Coz. Been there twice and we just explored on our own.

I guess we need advice on safe excursions... for snorkeling first and then the most popular hang-outs for later. Be great to combine the two!!

What do you think?

Thanks!

Mike

Hola Mike,

We have had the pleasure to visit Cozumel 7 times and have done something different each trip. I have seen nothing that smacked of danger anywhere on the island and would not be afraid to go anywhere. I should mention, though, that I am 6' and 215#. If I was a petite cutie, I might have a different view.:rolleyes:

The best advice that I can give you or anyone headed to Coz are these websites. www.cozumelinsider.com and www.cozumelmycozumel.com.

Both have gobs of info.

Some of the better known snorkel trips are Mystic Snorkel, and Eagle Ray. We took a trip with Playa Palancar when we were there 2 years ago and I've read that PB Tom can arrange a trip if you contact him ahead of time.

At least in the last 10 years of our trips to Cozumel (sometimes as many as 5 times in 12 months) we have never felt uncomfortable in any way.

There was a report earlier this month about a young lady who rented a car from one of the car rental places...had an very minor accident and got scammed by the police for large damages. So do be aware if you rent a car.

It is unclear if she had a deductible or a ZERO deductible (which is what other CCers recommend if renting a car). But it sounds like taking a taxi is the best option to avoid this. There are more taxis than sand in Cozumel so you can always catch a ride going or coming!!

Also know that there are "Tourist Police" who are suppose to speak English and be there for you if you need their assistance.

OK... my DW heard some reports of safety concerns in Coz.

Huh? What are you talking about? IMO, Cozumel is just about the safest island you can visit on a cruise. It's right up there with Grand Cayman as far as visitor safety. The only way to be safer is to stay on the ship.

manm- I've heard these reports a few time before and I assure you they are total bunk. We walked the back street's, side street's and just about all of the streets of Cozumel in the dead of night and never felt the least bit threatened or unsafe. You'd never catch me doing this in Charlotte Amelie or Phillipsburg.

Archived