America's cup- 12 mètre yatch race

Mp:)

My BIL and I did this in St Martin one time. Same Company. Is it "fun"? Yes, if you sail or have every sailed in yacht races or watch the America's Cup (old school, not latest jet boats), which both of us have done in the past (Trans Pac vet). But for those looking for a leisurely tour around the island it may not be. These boats do race each other and just about everyone has something to do. Could be iceberg lookout if you want. So unless you're grinding, trimming the main sheet, or occasionally adjusting the backstays, it's mainly a ride. And some younger folks and teens may find it a tad boring.

We did this last summer. I fell in love with the America's Cup when the 12-meter boats were around and did a bit of competitive sailing when I was younger. The outing in Cozumel was like going to a fantasy camp for a baseball fan. We absolutely loved it. Everyone got to participate to their comfort level. The highlight was passing the other boat on the last leg, crossing the line to win, and then having the captain ask if I would like to take the helm. Yeah, it was a top 10 moments of my life kind of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also did it in St. Martin. I'd do it again in a second. Hope Cozumel's race is as much fun.

Remember to wear your t-shirt to get a new one for free. The Coz operation accepted my shirt from St Maarten, even tho it was ancient and almost in shreds (I dug it out of the rag box in my garage to bring along). I wanted a long sleeve t shirt, so they just had me pay the price difference between the regular and long sleeve ones.

It is a lot of fun, tho not sure it is recommended for little, little kids. It is a tight fit on the boat, and it gets fast and insanely competitive, so unless they are old enough to sit, stay, and hold on, it could get dicy for them or other passengers.

We have sailed in this regatta twice in Cozumel and enjoyed it both times. First attempt, we had very light wind (the organizers even delayed our start in hopes winds would pick up), so it was slow going. Second time we booked, it was canceled because winds were too high. Third time we had decent wind and rails in the water! Would like to do it again this winter, but so far it is not offered as an excursion for our sailing. :(

For those who have not done this, please don't expect this to be a cruising sailboat. It is an actual racing boat - no cushy seats and no bathroom onboard - and you are in an actual race against another boat. The captain calls out orders that you have to implement as part of the sailing team. It's not a sightseeing cruise. You also have to be careful where you place your hands/arms/legs, and you have to be OK with heeling over (riding along on a somewhat unnatural angle through the water). They will give you a life vest if you want one. Also, you are taken to where the sailboats are moored on a pontoon boat, and you have to get from one boat to the other safely. For people with mobility issues, this might be challenging. I say all of this not to discourage folks (as I said - I am a repeat customer), but I do think it's important to know what you are signing up for.

If you enjoy sailing, I encourage you to take this opportunity to race on actual America' Cup boats!

• 1 month later...

Just did this excursion last week. We were on the True North and we won! Everyone was surprised because none of the participants had any experience as compared to the participants on the other boat. I have mobility issues and the crew on the pontoon boat and True North were just great in helping me. I strongly discourage this excursion for kids like others have also commented on. Tight quarters, moving parts, and things happen quickly. Kids would instinctively want to 'help' and accidents could happen suddenly and could be quite serious.