Question on Britannia internet

mat5664

I am taking my mother on Britannia tomorrow for her 80th birthday.

Unfortunately, I will have to do some work and will need internet access.

Can anyone advise me of whether there is wifi in the cabin and the costs? I did call CS, but they gave me a boiler plate answer read out from a crib sheet about P&O currently changing their Internet packages and they can't give me any information on services or cost!

Can anyone advise me of whether there is wifi in the cabin and the costs? I did call CS, but they gave me a boiler plate answer read out from a crib sheet about P&O currently changing their Internet packages and they can't give me any information on services or cost!

Hello,

There was a thread about the new internet costs a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if this will take you to it or not?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2375408

If it doesn't then this is what the OP was saying ...

Received an e-mail from P&O last night regarding the new internet packages available for our cruise on Ventura this Friday as follows:-

The current system is gradually being phased out and you’re one of the first to use our new satellite internet service.

Now...

With the current system, it’s all about time. You buy a package, log in to the wifi and your time starts to tick away. But the experience hasn’t been ideal, so we’re introducing a new system with more flexible packages.

New…

Forming part of our current Stay Connected service, there’s no more clock-watching - our new service is always available, so you’ll have internet access 24/7*. There are three packages to choose from, each based on how you like to use the internet...

The 3 packages are £7.75 per 24 hours using internet messaging and social media

£12.50 per 24 hours for browsing, internet and social media.

£24.95 per 24 hours for the full package as above plus youtube, spotify etc.

Hope this helps & that your Mum has a wonderful 80th Birthday :)

Joan

When we were onboard last december wifi was available in the cabin but was a bit hit and miss.Sometimes wasnt available at all whilst in port so if I had been paying the new prices I wouldnt have been pleased. I think I have heard that the satellite internet as been improved recently so may be better now.

We found that the signal was stronger if you stood at the cabin door with it open.(got a few odd looks from passing passengers though)!

BTW we were on B deck.

I rang P&O last week to pre pay Internet was told they could no longer do as changed satellite provider needed to buy on board it's still thirty pounds for 100 mins, on Britannia this year it was a bit hit and miss but were aft cabin as previous post better by cabin door or try hooking up in the library/internet hub

Hope that helps in some way

Mrs Blue Sky

I got off Britannia two weeks ago and I paid £62.50 for 240 minutes of Internet. It was a pretty good connection but hated having to watch clock all the time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello Monica,

I know I'm stating the obvious here, as you've already said what you got / paid for etc.

So just to confirm you can still purchase the 240 mins package as opposed to having to buy one of the new 24 hour packages?

If so, that's great (well as great as it can be :rolleyes:) as I always type my emails etc off line in draft & just log on to send them. I find doing it this way 240 mins will last me a 2 week cruise OK.

Joan

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. I was expecting to have to buy one of the 24 hour packages after reading on here, but was very pleased to find that this was a better deal for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions [emoji1]

Hi,

Yes, that's correct. I was expecting to have to buy one of the 24 hour packages after reading on here, but was very pleased to find that this was a better deal for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions [emoji1]

Thanks Monica, that's great to know as I too was expecting to have to buy one of the new packages.

The week after we disembarked on Arcadia it changed to the new costs. Makes me laugh with saying you get 24 hours, take time off for sleep, eat etc you may be lucky to get 12 hours in and how many of us are on our computers for 12 hours a day.

• 1 year later...

New 24 hour packages are on Britannia. Sailed last two weeks. Started with the cheapest package but could not send/receive mail. You would think that was a basic requirement. Had to upgrade to Browse package. £12.50 for 24 hours. Didn't plan on staying awake all night so that equates to £12.50 for use during the day. Would not permit whats app calls or sending single images but messages were fine. Much preferred purchasing time .. could type off line and log in to send and receive. !00 mins easily lasted the whole cruise. Ended up purchasing three sea days and looked for free wifi when ashore. Spoke to people who had set up packages with their mobile phone providers which seemed to work out much cheaper. Look into this next time before leaving home.