Do they separate the teens on Indy?

My son (14) and I are sailing on Indy over Thanksgiving this year and I wanted to know if RCI is known to separate the teens on Indy, between ages 12 - 14 and 15 - 17? Although it states on RCI's website that teens are broken up into the two age groups, when we sailed Allure last year during Spring Break, the teens were all grouped together 12 - 17 yrs old. My (then) newly 12 year old was quite intimidated being with the older teens on Allure.

He's older now and will be 14 when we sail Indy for Thanksgiving, so I guess I'm not too worried if they will be grouped together again. Just thought I would ask other's experiences that have sailed on Indy with their teen. I've read cruising during Thanksgiving brings lots of families on board, so maybe they'll separate out the teens this time? :confused: Thanks for any info. :)

I'm interested in this too. We will be sailing this Thanksgiving with 7 grandkids.

Four of them will be ages 15, 15, 14, 14. Those four will want to be together, not separated, in the teen club.

We also have a 12 year old who will not fit in well with the teens--he is young for his age and very much a kid yet. I'm hoping he can go with his 11 and 9 year old sister and cousin, although they may not spend much time in the kid's club anyway. I think he'd be intimidated in the teen club.

Can't answer for what they did on Allure, which sounds very unusual. But as you reference the guidelines are based on age cut off, which is the only objective measure that would apply equally to all.

In our experience - albeit many years ago - the guidelines were adhered to, regardless of ship. This would be my expectation for Independence as well, otherwise IMO they would likely have their hands full with many people looking for an exception - one way or the other.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Can't answer for what they did on Allure, which sounds very unusual. But as you reference the guidelines are based on age cut off, which is the only objective measure that would apply equally to all.

In our experience - albeit many years ago - the guidelines were adhered to, regardless of ship. This would be my expectation for Independence as well, otherwise IMO they would likely have their hands full with many people looking for an exception - one way or the other.

The reason they gave us on Allure for grouping all the teens together when we sailed was because there weren't that many 12 - 17 yr olds on that cruise. Which was surprising to me, because we cruised during prime Spring Break in early April, 2013. Just wondering if this is a general practice on other RCI ships where they group the teens together, depending on the numbers.

Just wondering if this is a general practice on other RCI ships where they group the teens together, depending on the numbers.

I do not believe that is a general practice. The Allure experience you mention is the first I've heard of that. Now that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, my comments are just based on our experience - and maybe that is a recent development. But while children are all adults now, we never saw that happen while they were in the programs.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The reason they gave us on Allure for grouping all the teens together when we sailed was because there weren't that many 12 - 17 yr olds on that cruise. Which was surprising to me, because we cruised during prime Spring Break in early April, 2013. Just wondering if this is a general practice on other RCI ships where they group the teens together, depending on the numbers.

Yes, it is. We had that on the Adventure out of San Juan for Thanksgiving 2012 - there just weren't enough of the older teens coming to the club to keep them separated so they were together with the younger group. I don't know what the cut-off is for "not enough" - but they will do it. It is not so much how many kids are on board - but how many come to the teen and kids clubs.

I am actually hoping it will be the same for us on Radiance this May - my two will be in separate groups. My youngest dd will never go to the club if she has to go alone - she needs her more extroverted sister to drag her along.

I believe it has happened to my kids when they were younger too - we have typically sailed off-season when there are not as many kids on board.

Depending on the ages and how many are in each group, they will allow siblings to stay together sometimes - they have allowed my older dd to stay in with the younger group.

I'm interested in this too. We will be sailing this Thanksgiving with 7 grandkids.

Four of them will be ages 15, 15, 14, 14. Those four will want to be together, not separated, in the teen club.

We also have a 12 year old who will not fit in well with the teens--he is young for his age and very much a kid yet. I'm hoping he can go with his 11 and 9 year old sister and cousin, although they may not spend much time in the kid's club anyway. I think he'd be intimidated in the teen club.

Ask - it won't hurt. They allowed it with my two girls. My guess is that it is very dependant on the numbers and situation on your particular cruise.

Ask - it won't hurt. They allowed it with my two girls. My guess is that it is very dependant on the numbers and situation on your particular cruise.

Thanks; we will definitely ask. I do realize it depends on how many kids/teens are on board; I'm guessing a lot since it's Thanksgiving week and had the kids sail free promotion.

They may not spend much or any time in the club's anyway, it's only a 5 night cruise, on the Liberty, with lots for them to do.

I really don't want the 12 year old to be in the teen club at all; he's just very much a little boy yet, still into Legos and things like that and not into teen things yet, thank goodness.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

...I really don't want the 12 year old to be in the teen club at all; he's just very much a little boy yet, still into Legos and things like that and not into teen things yet, thank goodness.
I think that the first day you pretty much are grouped strictly by age, but talk to the staff. If they agree with your assessment they MAY allow a move either up or down for kids near the cut-off. Entirely up to the staff though, some are more flexible than others.

I think that the first day you pretty much are grouped strictly by age, but talk to the staff. If they agree with your assessment they MAY allow a move either up or down for kids near the cut-off. Entirely up to the staff though, some are more flexible than others.

Thanks, will try that if we need to--that is, the 9 & 11's want to spend time in the club.

Thanks, will try that if we need to--that is, the 9 & 11's want to spend time in the club.

That's what I ended up doing on Allure last year for my 12 year old. I talked to the head counselor the first night to see if they would move him down to the 9 - 11 yr old group, and they let him be a part of that group. He was still able to sign in and out of the activities, with my permission. It doesn't hurt to ask. :)