Fatima: Pope Visits, Doing from Lisbon

Getting ready in less than three weeks to depart for Lisbon and to start a cruise from there to Rouen/France on June 14. On June 12, we are planning for a private tour from Lisbon that goes up to Fatima, plus stops at Batalha, Nazaré and Óbidos. Should be an interesting day with a variety of sights and experiences.

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Half a million believers see Pope Francis make saints of two child shepherds of Fatima with these highlights: One hundred years ago, the two children, and their cousin Lucia, said the Virgin Mary appeared to them and gave them three secrets, including the end of the Cold War and World War Two. But the children were not believed and civil authorities threatened them with death by boiling oil if they didn't recant their story. But they held fast and eventually the church recognized the apparitions as authentic in 1930”. Below are three of the visuals used in this Daily Mail story.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4502158/Pope-Francis-makes-saints-three-shepherd-children.html

Although I am not Roman Catholic, I look forward to learning more and seeing the sights that the Pope just visited. Makes things more interesting and historic!! Other tips and insights to share from visiting Fatima and/or these other locations north of Lisbon?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 224,432 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Daily Mail, here are three of their visuals from the Pope visiting Fatima yesterday.:

MarTravel2017BB%20145_zpsiwlsdyda.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20146_zpsnxbleaav.jpg

MarTravel2017BB%20147_zpse6yx5hwj.jpg

Hey Terry!

We visited Fatima on a land trip to Portugal. We are R.C., but my BiL is fallen-away. He was very moved by the holy site there, feeling that it was non-commercialized as some others can be. I hope you are moved as well!

Barb

Hey Terry! We visited Fatima on a land trip to Portugal. We are R.C., but my BiL is fallen-away. He was very moved by the holy site there, feeling that it was non-commercialized as some others can be. I hope you are moved as well! Barb

Appreciate, Barb, this nice follow-up and these added details. Yes, looking forward to doing this visit and sampling more of Portugal away from just Lisbon. This will be our first visit to Portugal and many have suggested it is important to see some of the countrysides, smaller town, etc. This excursion should help give us more depth and background for this historic country.

Added suggestions, experiences and details for Fatima, Portugal or Lisbon?

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,744 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Terry, I hope you enjoy your time in Portugal. I am currently planning a trip to Portugal and Spain specifically to visit Roman sites there. (You know, there are a few Roman remains to be seen in Lisbon, if you are interested I can say more...)

On a previous visit to Lisbon, I also did some day trips to other areas. Loved Sintra and Cascais. Obidos was pleasant. There's also a lovely, surprisingly intact Temple of Diana in Evora, which I visited from Lisbon on my own via bus -- very nice service and easy; it was almost like traveling by train.

Unfortunately I was not as enamored of Fatima, but that may have been influenced by a lousy guide who basically provided no information -- luckily I had some of my own. But since I'm mostly an "antiquities" person, I found the massively large and modern cathedral did not move me. I wish you a much different experience. :)

Terry, I hope you enjoy your time in Portugal. I am currently planning a trip to Portugal and Spain specifically to visit Roman sites there. (You know, there are a few Roman remains to be seen in Lisbon, if you are interested I can say more...) On a previous visit to Lisbon, I also did some day trips to other areas. Loved Sintra and Cascais. Obidos was pleasant. There's also a lovely, surprisingly intact Temple of Diana in Evora, which I visited from Lisbon on my own via bus -- very nice service and easy; it was almost like traveling by train. Unfortunately I was not as enamored of Fatima, but that may have been influenced by a lousy guide who basically provided no information -- luckily I had some of my own. But since I'm mostly an "antiquities" person, I found the massively large and modern cathedral did not move me. I wish you a much different experience. :)

Appreciate these details, tips, ideas and follow-up by super expert Cruisemom42. Very interesting and helpful!! Will be on the look-out for those Roman sites in Portugal and Spain. Agree that Fatima is a little "newer" than I would desire, but we will have an excellent and skilled personal guide. That should help much to avoid what affect your trip there. Will do reporting as to how our "adventure" in three weeks works and happens.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 9 months later...

Terry, How was your visit to Fatima last year. What details can you share? What tour company or guide did you use, or did you go with a ship's tour? We will be stopping in Lisbon in September and I hope to visit Fatima. Thanks - Maddle

Terry, How was your visit to Fatima last year. What details can you share? What tour company or guide did you use, or did you go with a ship's tour? We will be stopping in Lisbon in September and I hope to visit Fatima. Thanks - Maddle

We had private tour to Fatima and three other stops on Monday, June 12, with Suzana. More details on her is listed below. Fatima is where Pope Francis just visited for the 100th anniversary last year. Pope John Paul II visited there three times and credits "our Lady" for his recovery from the assassination attempt against his life. The three bullet that struck him were given by this Pope to enshrine there at Fatima that just about an hour plus north of Lisbon. Although we are not Roman Catholic, this site was very moving and inspirational. A few pictures to share below. More to come!! Does this help? Need more info?

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: See more on our June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

The first two visuals are from Fatima with its older church, plus the newer Cathedral that seats 8600+ for mass, etc. Third is Our Lady of Victory at Batalha. It is considered the best example of gothic architecture in Portugal. The fourth picture is from Óbidos, the medieval town surrounded by walls. Most tours to this area will also make others either coming up to or coming back from Fatima. We had super expert personal guide Suzana. Her e-mail is: guide_1251-181@toursbylocals.com. You can also check that toursbylocals.com website that lists her under the Lisbon area. Many wonderful history and sights to sample Portugal beyond Lisbon.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201552_zpsqmh7zodh.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpswd9ihvxs.jpg

June%202017A%201553_zpsxcgjsx3o.jpg

June%202017A%201556_zpsgpx8z2al.jpg

Here are two more visuals from Fatima and its newer Cathedral. These were posted later on my live/blog connected above.:

July%202017A%201630_zpsl1lceyyg.jpg

July%202017A%201629_zpsa6mz4uug.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Below are a few more visuals from what we experienced at Fatima. As noted, it was a very "moving" visit to this location, even for a non-Catholic.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 198,584 views for this posting.

Here are two more visuals from Fatima and our visit there last year. First shows the large worship set-up used by the Pope last year in front of the older church there. Second is a small site used on a daily basis for mass.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

July%202017A%201633_zps5wbpzbcz.jpg

July%202017A%201634_zps50mam1qq.jpg