Collapsible Cooler Question's

jaxcruiser23

Has any brought one of these on board before?IF so where can you find a really good size one but doesn't take up too much room.How much ice can they hold and how many drink's can they hold?

If anyone has any pic's of some that i could compare some to that would be great,thanks.

I take one. I put in 12 bottles of water and then fill with ice. Any extra room gets used with bottles on top. I got mine at walmart and is less than 1" thick when it's collapsed. Fits nicely in the zipper pocket of your luggage. I think it's a wise investment and perfect for the cabin. I usually tip the room steward up front and he keeps it filled with ice otherwise you can get your own ice anytime you want.

Has any brought one of these on board before?IF so where can you find a really good size one but doesn't take up too much room.How much ice can they hold and how many drink's can they hold?

If anyone has any pic's of some that i could compare some to that would be great,thanks.

In the past we have headed to a local grocery/convenience store near our embarkation port and purchased a small styrofoam cooler. They cost < $5. We use it during the cruise and then leave it in our stateroom at the end of the cruise. That saves room in our luggage!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360055&page=2 has some links to Amazon with pictures of what works for me.

Why does the cooler have to be collapsible? I mean, can you bring the cooler already filled with ice thru security, or are you not allowed to do that? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about bringing some local iced tea for my non-alcoholic drinks, and you buy them already refridgerated, and they need to stay cold. We are driving to the port, so keeping them on ice on the 1.5 hour drive to Baltimore wouldn't be difficult at all. I just didn't know if security would let you thru with the cooler already filled, or if it must be empty and that's why it has to be collapsible.

Why does the cooler have to be collapsible? I mean, can you bring the cooler already filled with ice thru security, or are you not allowed to do that? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about bringing some local iced tea for my non-alcoholic drinks, and you buy them already refridgerated, and they need to stay cold. We are driving to the port, so keeping them on ice on the 1.5 hour drive to Baltimore wouldn't be difficult at all. I just didn't know if security would let you thru with the cooler already filled, or if it must be empty and that's why it has to be collapsible.

The reason most people bring the collapsible is that they fly in to the ports and they store them in their luggage. I have seen people roll the bigs one on.

The only size cooler "allowed" by security has to be 12"x12"x12" or less.

If you have a collapsible cooler you fold it down in your luggage and open it up once onboard.

If your ice tea will fit in a cooler 12"x12"x12" or less, you are good to go.

Anything bigger runs the risk of confiscation or having to return it to your car.

If you are talking about half gallon or gallon bottles, you are probably out of luck.

Bill

This is what I was thinking of bringing. It holds 60 cans, and collapses pretty flat. We are driving in so it does not need to go in the suitcase. You can get them at Costco.

Coolers_1126fs.jpg

We use one similar to this picture, purchased at Sams. Love that it is on wheels and when debarking can throw purchased goodies into cooler and just roll it off. I have had it for several years and no problems with leakage. We have always packed it in our luggage for embarkation as it is a lot bigger than 12x12x12 when expanded.

We use one similar to this picture, purchased at Sams. Love that it is on wheels and when debarking can throw purchased goodies into cooler and just roll it off. I have had it for several years and no problems with leakage. We have always packed it in our luggage for embarkation as it is a lot bigger than 12x12x12 when expanded.

I will have to look for this at Sams, that looks perfect for us.

Thank's everyone for all the great advice and the pic's to compare some too.But i believe me and my DH are going to go with the collapsable cooler.

Thank's for pointing that out rosefloater,didn't even notice that this was our 10th cruise.:D

Just curious, what's the need for a cooler if you have a fridge in your stateroom?

The fridge does not keep things cold. It keeps things "cool."

And to the previous poster who said they tipped to get the cooler filled with ice. No need. I left a nice note on our first day for the steward to kindly fill my cooler with ice and he did it everyday without fail!!

We took a soft-sided cooler on wheels with a handle since we took our drinks on board with us. It was easy to wheel around while we waited for our room to be ready. Remember folks, all these drinks have to be in your carry-on! No more putting them in checked luggage!!

We bought ours at Wal-Mart and it ran around 30 bucks.

Thanks. On our previous cruises, the fridge was cold and kept my kids milk chilled. Great to know that I'll need the cooler on Carnival.

Can I put our beverages in the cooler prior to boarding or is it easier for them to allocate the quantity if the beverages are still packaged on a luggage cart (very smally trolly). I plan on bringing water, soda and juice boxes.

Also, do the suites have better quality fridges? We'll be in a grand suite on the Sensation, wondering if the cooler is still necessary.

Thanks!

Mare

Thanks. On our previous cruises, the fridge was cold and kept my kids milk chilled. Great to know that I'll need the cooler on Carnival.

Can I put our beverages in the cooler prior to boarding or is it easier for them to allocate the quantity if the beverages are still packaged on a luggage cart (very smally trolly). I plan on bringing water, soda and juice boxes.

Also, do the suites have better quality fridges? We'll be in a grand suite on the Sensation, wondering if the cooler is still necessary.

Thanks!

Mare

I placed 24 12-ounce plastic bottles of soda (12 for me, 12 for DH) loose in the cooler and the security folks didn't blink when it went through the scanner. I probably coulda packed twice that amount or even replaced the soda with alcohol, LOL!

This is similar to what I have: http://www.promaxcommerce.com/Coleman-50Quart-Wheeled-SoftSided-Cooler-Color/M/B0032N03OK.htm?traffic_src=bing_shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing_shopping

Thank's everyone for all the great advice and the pic's to compare some too.But i believe me and my DH are going to go with the collapsable cooler.

Thank's for pointing that out rosefloater,didn't even notice that this was our 10th cruise.:D

Enjoy your 1st Platinum cruise. Embark is especially nice. Not to mention the free entrance into the bj or slot tourney.

1-38245-03-09.jpg

I have this- very nice.

1-38245-03-09.P01.jpg

We've had this exact one for about 3 years now and love it. Made by California Innovations and can be found on the web from $15 to $20. Holds 24 cans, but we keep our filled with wine. CA Innovations also makes one a bit larger as well. This link shows both sizes:

http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4295447&CAWELAID=550944932

$15.99 with Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/California-Innovations-Can-Pop-Up-Cooler/dp/B00314DMAM

We purchased ours at Walmart and it looks somewhat like this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=14313287&findingMethod=rr I took the hard plastic insert out of it and actually use it to pack our toiletries. I lay it on it's side and it fits perfectly in the suitcase. No need to flatten it out etc since it's padded and lined it doubles as a perfect way to protect our toiletries :)

Archived