Bears - where best to see?

chelegirly

Where are you going to be? Doing any mainland touring? From a cruise, a fly in tour out of Ketchikan will have the greatest success. . Haines, Hoonah and Juneau have possibilities with drive ups, but far more chancy.

Be informed with a Sept. selection. I don't really want past the first week, due to the more foul weather potential, and dusk by 7pm- impacting significantly on scenic sailing.

Totally open on itinerary. The one I'm looking at is the first week in Sept. Thanks for the tips!

Mainland touring the bargain of Alaska is Denali Park. Worth a multi day stay and entry to hedge the bets with lots of bear sightings. Having the cruise at the end of August into Sept - northbound is a great timeframe to consider.

We were on a cruise last week and took Island Wings in Ketchikan last Thursday (September 5) to see bears. I was pleased with our float trip with them. The 1st week of September was a great week to cruise and the John Muir Glacier in glacier Bay opened up on September 1 after being closed to protect sea otters for the summer.

We were on a cruise last week and took Island Wings in Ketchikan last Thursday (September 5) to see bears. I was pleased with our float trip with them. The 1st week of September was a great week to cruise and the John Muir Glacier in glacier Bay opened up on September 1 after being closed to protect sea otters for the summer.

Did you go to Traitor's Cove with Island Wings?

And, sorry, but it is the John Hopkins glacier that opens Sept 1 and it's because it's a harbor seal sanctuary, sea otters don't come up that far.

I am not sure but isn't Sept a bit late for bears. We have done Anan 2x but that was in August. Basically, the bears are wherever there are abundant salmon.

DON

Traitor's Cove has a later salmon run and can be good through the first week of Sept. I don't consider Anan past the first week of August. Neets Bay is peak last week of July through end of August. Tours run outside these times but for these costly options I never consider any timeframes but peak.

Traitor's Cove has a later salmon run and can be good through the first week of Sept. I don't consider Anan past the first week of August. Neets Bay is peak last week of July through end of August. Tours run outside these times but for these costly options I never consider any timeframes but peak.

This is slightly off topic but I am going to Haines around Thanksgiving to do eagle photography. The area there has a very late salmon run and there are apparently 1000s of eagles. Can't wait.

This is what I am hoping to see.

http://www.photosafaris.com/photography-trips-2013/bald-eagles-chilkat-river-photo-tour/

Check out the slide show.

BTW - I do not think that posting this link to a eagle photo trip is a violation of CC rules. If it is, please remove this post. I am not trying to shill for the company.

DON

Yes on Traitors Cove. We saw a mother and 2 cubs that were just under 2 years old and then we saw a large male bear. The large male bear scooped up a salmon and went into the woods to eat it. We departed on our cruise 2 weeks ago today and disembarked a week ago today. I'm ready to go back!

This is slightly off topic but I am going to Haines around Thanksgiving to do eagle photography. The area there has a very late salmon run and there are apparently 1000s of eagles. Can't wait.

This is what I am hoping to see.

http://www.photosafaris.com/photography-trips-2013/bald-eagles-chilkat-river-photo-tour/

Check out the slide show.

BTW - I do not think that posting this link to a eagle photo trip is a violation of CC rules. If it is, please remove this post. I am not trying to shill for the company.

DON

Yep Haines has one of the latest salmon runs on the inside passage. I consider it pretty "deceptive" when the tours during the cruise season, pump up the "eagle" edge in their tour descriptions. Those sightings are WAY after the cruise season ends. :) This is also what Homer is about, the massive congregating of eagles also after the cruise season. :) I might make it sometime, also with the Sitka Whale Fest which is in Nov. I get invited every year. :( But my sights are on another March trip, next year with my aurora priority. So I'll see where I go. I retire in November (but haven't worked since 12/12) so I'm already out of control with my travels. I wish you an excellent trip and hope you will post back, for my selfish interest in your trip report.

Just starting pre-planning our Alaska cruise for 2014. Wildlife is priority other than scenery. Where's the best place to see bears? :D This will most likely be in Sept. I have a feeling I'll be doing more research for this cruise than any other!

The salmon are running the first two weeks in Ketchikan and there is a bear watching tour above one of the creeks. If you are afraid of heights, this tour is not for you.

Just starting pre-planning our Alaska cruise for 2014. Wildlife is priority other than scenery. Where's the best place to see bears? :D This will most likely be in Sept. I have a feeling I'll be doing more research for this cruise than any other!

We were in Skagway Sept 6, 2013 and we booked a tour through Rainbow Glacier Adventures in Haines. They arranged the ferry from Skagway to Haines which was a nice ride. We were met by Barb our tour guide and she told us about the little town and surrounding area. They only take a few people at a time. There were 6 of us. Scenery was gorgeous. Saw plently of wildlife. We saw brown bears including two mother bears playing with their cubs in the river. It was awesome. Google and also check trip advisor. Price reasonable, lunch included. We highly recommend.:D

Archived