Naples/Pompeii

LindaJ+

If you're on a cruise ship day tour of Pompeii, can you ask the driver to drop you off at a point of interest in Naples (e.g., the archaeological museum) rather than taking you back to the ship? Looks like we would have 3 or 4 hours to spend in the town after the tour.

If you're on a cruise ship day tour of Pompeii, can you ask the driver to drop you off at a point of interest in Naples (e.g., the archaeological museum) rather than taking you back to the ship? Looks like we would have 3 or 4 hours to spend in the town after the tour.

If you are referring to a tour purchased through the cruise line, they are not generally set up to do this, so you won't likely be able to arrange it in advance. However, if you work with your guide they may (or may not) agree to it. Also, their planned route back to the ship may not even go near the place you want to be dropped at. They are not likely to change their route for you.

Having said that, even if they take you back to the ship, you don't have to board the ship and can venture wherever you want. 4 hours would be enough time to take a taxi or public transit to the museum and enjoy it for a couple hours.

It's probably easier, in any event, to simply return to the cruise port with the tour and then go to the museum on your own. The museum is one and a quarter miles from the cruise port, slightly uphill. You can get metro from the new station at Piazza Municipio and be there in minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please help me try to figure this out??? I have never been to Italy and we planned this trip 2 others times and had to cancel it but now we are paid in full and leaving in 107 days. The cruise line is sold out of the tour we wanted but since studying latin in High school 20 years ago… I have dreamed of visiting Pompeii and exploring it. Now that I finally get to do it…. I also get to share it with my son. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

If returning to Naples from the south (Pompeii and Naples) the bus would likely use the A3 Exit to the Port area which would not even take you close to the Museum. While it is not unheard of some passengers to leave a cruise line excursion (and return to the ship on their own) this usually only happens if you leave a a normal tour stop. Excursions buses do not also function as taxis or hop on hop off buses :). As an alternative you might want to consider booking a private tour where you can set your own itinerary. The other alternative is to simply do everything on your own (not too difficult in Naples).

If you do return to the port on your excursion bus, and have enough time, you can get to the Museum in about 15 minutes (or less) by grabbing a taxi. With luck you might get 2 hours in the Museum. We have walked from the port to the museum, but this would not be a good idea for you given the time constraints.

Hank

Could you please help me try to figure this out??? I have never been to Italy and we planned this trip 2 others times and had to cancel it but now we are paid in full and leaving in 107 days. The cruise line is sold out of the tour we wanted but since studying latin in High school 20 years ago… I have dreamed of visiting Pompeii and exploring it. Now that I finally get to do it…. I also get to share it with my son. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

If docked in Naples take a cab to the train station. Take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei and it's a few minute walk to the site. Trains leave every half hour and it's about a 1/2 hour ride. It's about €3 I think for the train and €11 to get in. Hopefully it won't be the first Sunday of the month when entry is free and it's a zoo. Was there two weeks ago, it's amazing!