Acft Mechanic

acft mechanic

:mad: I was a passenger aboard Carnivals Miracle on the 12/15/08-12/23/08 cruise. We were told at the dock that our itinerary had changed due to a propulsion problem. Then on the 22nd the Capt came on the intercom to say that we had to make flank speed 22 kts back to Ft. Lauderdale due to a medical emergency. Now all the engines were working. I decided to write Carnival about this. Today I recieved a letter for a Amanda Lopez which said that on your ticket contract and welcome aboard brochure its says Carnival can change the itineary for any reason. Well I called her office and told them that Engines don't fix themselves due to Emergancys. I asked her does Carnival reserve the right to change itinaries due to lies and she said yes. I told her I didn't care to travel Carnival with that kind of statement .

This is from the cruise contract, I guess "lies" would fall into any reason whatsoever

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

7 © The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances.

I was on the Miracle 12/23-12/31 and our cruise was also changed due to propulsion issues. I read about the Captain running the engines full speed on the previous cruise to get back to Florida, because someone had a heart attack. I can understand putting the propulsion system in jeopardy to get back to shore for that reason, but to put the propulsion system in jeopardy just because you want to go to the ports you booked seems ridiculous. If the propulsion system had failed completely trying to get back to shore to save a life is one thing but to do damage just so you can see an island is crazy. That is just my opinion.

Anyway, my family and I had a great time on the ship no matter what ports we stopped at.

I was on the Miracle 12/23-12/31 and our cruise was also changed due to propulsion issues. I read about the Captain running the engines full speed on the previous cruise to get back to Florida, because someone had a heart attack. I can understand putting the propulsion system in jeopardy to get back to shore for that reason, but to put the propulsion system in jeopardy just because you want to go to the ports you booked seems ridiculous. If the propulsion system had failed completely trying to get back to shore to save a life is one thing but to do damage just so you can see an island is crazy. That is just my opinion.

Anyway, my family and I had a great time on the ship no matter what ports we stopped at.

They didn't have to run the engines full speed......they could have discontinued that itinerary and not continue to sell it until she was repaired........

:mad: I was a passenger aboard Carnivals Miracle on the 12/15/08-12/23/08 cruise. We were told at the dock that our itinerary had changed due to a propulsion problem. Then on the 22nd the Capt came on the intercom to say that we had to make flank speed 22 kts back to Ft. Lauderdale due to a medical emergency. Now all the engines were working. I decided to write Carnival about this. Today I recieved a letter for a Amanda Lopez which said that on your ticket contract and welcome aboard brochure its says Carnival can change the itineary for any reason. Well I called her office and told them that Engines don't fix themselves due to Emergancys. I asked her does Carnival reserve the right to change itinaries due to lies and she said yes. I told her I didn't care to travel Carnival with that kind of statement .

Unless you are a cruise ship mechanic by trade I don't see where you could "assume" anything about the workings of the ship.....

I'm so sorry the poor person with a medical emergency upset your plans:mad:

As a tech you may appreciate this a bit more than the explanation that was offered...

The propulsion system on the ship is driven by electric motors. On the Miracle there are two propulsion units, called Azipods, that drive the ship. There are six Wartsila diesel engines that directly drive alternators. These alternators not only produce power for the Azipods but for every other electrical system on the ship.

If they were able to make 22 knots on the way home that means that both 'pods were working properly. Without doubt, the 'propulsion problem' was that they lost one of the diesel engines. In order to run at flank speed they had to sacrifice other systems, probably in the crew quarters, to provide the necessary power.

It wouldn't be reasonable to divert power from the crew quarters and other systems for an entire week just to preserve a port.

No one likes missing a port but stuff happens... plans change... I liken it to being diverted to a different airport due to a system malfuntion...

Next time do your homework and read the cruise contract, besides its been general knowledge on here about the miracle propulsion problems and the upcoming drydock because of it.

Your ignorance of the situation at hand leads you to believe that you were lied to? Come on crew chief, show some freakin compassion for the person in need. Being an aircraft mechanc and understanding how often aircraft fly with disabled systems I am truly surprised by your comments.

Your ignorance of the situation at hand leads you to believe that you were lied to? Come on crew chief, show some freakin compassion for the person in need. Being an aircraft mechanc and understanding how often aircraft fly with disabled systems I am truly surprised by your comments.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Archived