Question for Katisdale or anyone with a TravelScoot

RLM77

Hello TravelScoot owners. We are most likely about to join the club and have a question specific to the TravelScoot:

What do you do with your TravelScoot when you need to change planes?

Since the TravelScoot is so light and folds to a small size, I was thinking of folding it, putting in the overhead bin, then carrying it at the connecting airport while DW gets wheelchair assistance between gates. Does this make sense or is it better to gate check it unfolded, retrieve it and use it at the connecting airport, and then gate check it again?

If you do recommend gate checking, would you keep the battery with you or check it with the rest?

Should we be aware of anything else at airports or with the TravelScoot in general? Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

Your thoughts much appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

Rich

On domestic flights I have driven it to the waiting area at the gate and then taken it apart and put it into the canvas bag and let it be checked at that point. Then if doing a plane change I just used the w/c at the airport. If going international we do it a little differently. We bought a hard sided golf bag with wheels that the scooter fits in. We put it in the golf carrier at home and check it in when arriving at the airport. We then get a wheelchair to the baggage area and pick up the scooter there. We got a few holes in the very sturdy canvas bag on our first plane flight so felt that the hard sided bag was a good idea.

I now always gate check my Travelscoot. I insist they bring it back to the gate even if the transfer gate is only one gate away. One airline (I won’t say which one) said they had already transferred the scooter to the other plane but when I got to Rome, no scooter. They couldn’t find it. It was quite a mess but I got it back 48 hours later. Now I insist they bring it to the gate each time. I don’t put the scooter in the bag. I take the backrest off and slide down the handlebar. As far as the battery goes, I usually disconnect it and carry it on the plane. But some foreign airlines don’t allow SLA batteries in the cabin so I leave it on the scooter.

Thanks every one for your replies.

Have you ever tried to store the TravelScoot in the overhead bin as a carry-on?

If you had it to do over, would you purchase Travelscoot again?

Is it sturdy or has it required any maintenance or repairs?

I worry....I'm the driver:rolleyes: Thanks again

Marlee

Marlee,

Hardy Huber (TravelScoot inventor) wrote an article about airline travel using the TravelScoot. It's posted on my blog, at http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-and-easier-way-of-airline-travel.html.

My first airline trip with mine isn't until next week, but I know of others who have flown with theirs. I've even picked Hardy up at the airport and got a first-hand account from him of how it worked.

It's not a good idea to put it in the carry case because then the baggage handlers are likely to treat it like other luggage, which means it could get thrown around quite a bit. Hardy's article gives more details, but basically what he does is to gate check the scooter. That means he goes all the way to the plane with it. In the article he explains how to prepare your scoot for being gate checked, and prepare it in a way where it is most likely to be handled correctly.

If you gate check your scooter they should store it where they store baby strollers and bring it back to you when you exit the plane.

In addition to what Hardy says in his article, I would also be well aware of the policy of the airline you're flying with, in case an unknowing employee insists on you checking it with your baggage. I've researched American and JetBlue's policies, and have information about them on my blog. I'm flying American and I will have a printed copy of their policy with me in case I have problems.

American:

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/07/american-airlines-policy-on-scooters.html

JetBlue:

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/07/jetblue-airline-policy-on-wheelchairs.html

I have owned my TravelScoot for 6 months and I cannot imagine life without it. The ease of portability is incredible. I was budgeting for a scooter that would require a special vehicle and a lift. The TravelScoot made that unnecessary, and as a bonus I can put my scoot in ANY vehicle I'm riding in.

The TravelScoot (with some practice) can be taken apart or assembled in less than a minute. I take the seat off, remove the battery, then press two bolts and the scoot folds down. I put it in my trunk and I'm off.

It's really a remarkable product.

Elizabeth

Ohhhh.... don't laugh at me but I've read your answer three times and the first two I wondered why you were using the watercloset at the airport?

Wheelchair, Elizabeth, wheelchair!

On domestic flights I have driven it to the waiting area at the gate and then taken it apart and put it into the canvas bag and let it be checked at that point. Then if doing a plane change I just used the w/c at the airport. If going international we do it a little differently. We bought a hard sided golf bag with wheels that the scooter fits in. We put it in the golf carrier at home and check it in when arriving at the airport. We then get a wheelchair to the baggage area and pick up the scooter there. We got a few holes in the very sturdy canvas bag on our first plane flight so felt that the hard sided bag was a good idea.

Frankly, I would advise against even trying to put your TravelScoot in the overhead bin of any plane. Not only is it heavy, but when you see how others just jam stuff in those bins, I think it would be most unwise:)

Leo and Hugh,

Thanks for your wise advice. On the TravelScoot website there is a photo of it in its duffel happily snuggled in an overhead bin. Alone.

Your right...the problem is those pesky other passengers!:rolleyes:

Just as an FYI, and somewhat unbelivably, the weight limit on Continental for carry-ons is 40lbs. The TS is 30 without the battery.

Marlee

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for Traveling T - it's not about this thread but is in regards to your stay in cabin #1137 on Celebrity Mercury.

I am interested to talk to you, see if you have any pictures, etc. It's hard to find details about this cabin but we are considering this for a sailing in early 2010. The main reason for this cabin is because we have 4 family members three of which are over 70. I would be the one in the pullman. Any detail would be welcome. I will also continue my search as well.

Many thanks in advance for your consideration & pardon the interuption here on this thread.

~ Sebie ( ps_vendor@yahoo dot com )

Quick question for Traveling T - it's not about this thread but is in regards to your stay in cabin #1137 on Celebrity Mercury.

I am interested to talk to you, see if you have any pictures, etc. It's hard to find details about this cabin but we are considering this for a sailing in early 2010. The main reason for this cabin is because we have 4 family members three of which are over 70. I would be the one in the pullman. Any detail would be welcome. I will also continue my search as well.

Many thanks in advance for your consideration & pardon the interuption here on this thread.

~ Sebie ( ps_vendor@yahoo dot com )

Hey there! Send me an email at tbahmanz@yahoo.com. I think I have some pictures to send. It was a good cabin for privacy between the door but the double bed was small and very close to the wall, so if two sleep there then one has to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom or out of the bed. If they are married it might be fine.

Rich,

I recently flew with American Airlines from New Orleans to Dallas to Dulles. I wrote a post on my blog about my experience changing planes with the TravelScoot. Click here to read it.

There are also other posts on my blog about airline travel if you haven't already read them. My blog is at http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com.

Elizabeth

Hello TravelScoot owners. We are most likely about to join the club and have a question specific to the TravelScoot:

What do you do with your TravelScoot when you need to change planes?

Since the TravelScoot is so light and folds to a small size, I was thinking of folding it, putting in the overhead bin, then carrying it at the connecting airport while DW gets wheelchair assistance between gates. Does this make sense or is it better to gate check it unfolded, retrieve it and use it at the connecting airport, and then gate check it again?

If you do recommend gate checking, would you keep the battery with you or check it with the rest?

Should we be aware of anything else at airports or with the TravelScoot in general? Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

Your thoughts much appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

Rich

While we are talking about the Travelscoot and airlines, let’s talk about batteries. I have flown a couple of times with my Travelscoot with the SLA battery and had no trouble. However this December I’m flying on Continental and this is their policy. “The battery must be securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility aid, and fully enclosed in a rigid housing that is properly marked.” The Travelscoots battery is in a canvas bag not a rigid housing. Anyone think that will be a problem? Also I had considered buying a Lithium-ion battery for a Baltic’s cruise next year because of the weight. Going through the policies of several European airlines they limit lithium-ion batteries to 160 watts. Travelscoots lithium battery is 240 watts. Anyone hear of someone being refused boarding because of the battery?

The FAA regulations about Lithium batteries are for stand alone batteries or in conjuction with general equipment.

For batteries in mobility devices they have relaxed rules, see http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/media/MaterialsCarriedByPassengersAndCrew.pdf

According to that the airline only want to know whether the battery is spillable or non-spillable. Even spillable batteries are permitted but they will be stored in special boxes and kept upright.

All TravelScoot batteries are non-spillable are marked as such.

Di Blasi

anyone have any experience with using this scooter on cobblestone streets in Europe? We're coming up on a river cruise and would like to consider this as an option for DH who has Parkinson's but not sure it'll work.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got to tell you all, I am so very nervous about flying for the first time with my Pride GoGo. I'm not at all sure what to do, despite all the wonderful ideas from my fellow board members. I'm trying to find flights that are direct, but from where I live, not a small city by any means, but we don't have many choices for direct flights and that's what's bothering me. I'm so scared someone is going to screw up and when I arrive in NYC, I'll have no scooter. And then flying home from Miami, there are some flights that have two stops. This is really driving me nuts.

Has anyone had to fly those ERJ planes---those tiny regional jets? Those are just about the only planes that fly out of my city. And then, they don't have jetways for those planes at this airport----you have to board outside on the tarmac. This is going to be a real pain.

I've got to tell you all, I am so very nervous about flying for the first time with my Pride GoGo. I'm not at all sure what to do, despite all the wonderful ideas from my fellow board members. I'm trying to find flights that are direct, but from where I live, not a small city by any means, but we don't have many choices for direct flights and that's what's bothering me. I'm so scared someone is going to screw up and when I arrive in NYC, I'll have no scooter. And then flying home from Miami, there are some flights that have two stops. This is really driving me nuts.

Has anyone had to fly those ERJ planes---those tiny regional jets? Those are just about the only planes that fly out of my city. And then, they don't have jetways for those planes at this airport----you have to board outside on the tarmac. This is going to be a real pain.

Hi Darcie

Just picked up my Pride Go Go Elite Traveler this evening. Was very lucky to find someone selling it locally. The mother went into the nursing home after having it only 2 weeks. There was still some of the original packing sattached and she hadn't even sent in the warranty yet. Felt bad for the family but they were happy it was going to help someone that needed it. Got an incredible deal !

The only thing I can say to you is try not stress over the connections. It will all work out. Have you spoken to the airlines directly ? What do they tell you ? Since it's a smaller aircraft and the cargo area will be tighter. You might consider folding the seat down and putting the steering column down on the seat before it's stowed in cargo. You'll find a little yellow triangle with "!" directly above the front tire. After you have folded the steering column down onto the seat , push this button in and turn it to lock. This will make it more compact. My question is what does everyone do with the basket since it's not permantly attached ? I'm thinking of leaving the basket home or carrying it on the plan with me.

The airlines have said you have to remove the basket and take it with you. You also have to put your name/address on the separate parts like the seat, base, battery and rear wheel housing. I don't know about the ramps at your airport that service those small jets, but ours are steep, and have tight corners and I'm not even sure the GoGo could make the tight turn.

When we put the scooter in the back of my Jeep, we fold the seatback down and fold the steering column in. It makes it easier to fit it in the Jeep.

The airlines have said you have to remove the basket and take it with you. You also have to put your name/address on the separate parts like the seat, base, battery and rear wheel housing. I don't know about the ramps at your airport that service those small jets, but ours are steep, and have tight corners and I'm not even sure the GoGo could make the tight turn.

When we put the scooter in the back of my Jeep, we fold the seatback down and fold the steering column in. It makes it easier to fit it in the Jeep.

Darcie

Thanks for the information about the basket and marking all pieces.:) When I picked it up last night the person that I bought it from made certain everything was properly adjusted for my height, removed the arm rests for me as I find them only to get in the way and he even took the time to determine how best to arrange it in my SVU so it would be the easiest for me. Took a lot of time with me and he didn't have to. He was so excited that his mother would be very pleased it was going to some that really needed it. My first trip with it will be in November to my sisters. My airport is not the problem, her's will be. Oh well we have to look at it as another new adventurer.

Yeah, that's how I'm looking at my November cruise--an adventure. I usually just rent a scooter for my cruises, but since fracturing my knee, and I'm behind schedule on healing, I'll need the scooter in the airports and on the ship.

Good luck with your adventure !!!!!

Darcie

Thanks for the information about the basket and marking all pieces.:) When I picked it up last night the person that I bought it from made certain everything was properly adjusted for my height, removed the arm rests for me as I find them only to get in the way and he even took the time to determine how best to arrange it in my SVU so it would be the easiest for me. Took a lot of time with me and he didn't have to. He was so excited that his mother would be very pleased it was going to some that really needed it. My first trip with it will be in November to my sisters. My airport is not the problem, her's will be. Oh well we have to look at it as another new adventurer.

What a joy this board has been!

After reading about the basket being removed from the GoGo before entering the airplane; it started me thinking, what to do? Yea, I found a lightweight backpack that fits over the back of the GoGo’s seat, lots of room for DH’s cane, books, and meds. He can just carry it on to the plane, or I can, which is more the case.

Again, thanks.

Archived