How big is the island of Coco Cay?

Bahama_Bound

You can wander about, but it's probably best to stick near any trails....the island isn't huge, tho....

Not sure what you'll looking to find, by wandering about. This is a lovely beach day....Coco Cay and Labadee are my favorite spots!

• 2 weeks later...
I love to go hiking and explore new places. How big is Coco Cay island? I know there are nature trails, but how many miles of trails do they actually have? Can you walk anywhere on the island or do you have to stay on designated trails?

There are some trails that you can wander around, but should have some sturdy shoes on as they are rocky. When I parasailed on CocaCay recently you could see from one side to the other. I asked the girl at the desk how big the island was and she told me, but I can't remember the exact distance. She mentioned something like a mile around.

We didn't do any hiking, but the people in the lounger next to us did. They told me not to try the trail without tennis shoes. Apparently the trail starts off fine, but gets rockier further away from the dock.

The island is part of the Berry Isles. I found this on the web

"Little Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, is one of the Berry Islands, a collection of cays and small islands and is located approximately 55 miles north of Nassau.[1] The island is less than a mile (around one kilometer) wide from east to west and less than a 200 yards (meters) from north to south. The east end is the center of recreational activities with beaches fronting a coral basin where manatee, rays, and numerous fish can be seen. There is a rocky inlet on the north side of the island large enough for the tenders operate from. Nature trails run the entire length and width of the island.

The island was previously used by Admiral Cruises (which was later acquired by Royal Caribbean) which renamed it Coco Cay.[2]

Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD,which owns Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises, leased the island and renamed it "Coco Cay", one of the first cruise lines to lease islands for their exclusive use.[3] Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruise ships frequently anchor off the island and bring passengers ashore by tenders. Activities available to guests include swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, parasailing, scuba diving, and Waverunner piloting. Royal Caribbean extends its children's programs onto the island including a Fisher-Price sponsored Power Wheels track for young children.

Little Stirrup Cay is adjacent to Great Stirrup Cay, Norwegian Cruse Line's private island"

It's tiny.

The attached image from google maps shows Coco Cay, aka Little Stirrup Cay marked with an "A". Next to it in the image is Gret Stirrup Cay - NCL's Private Island. I arranged the view with the scale of miles right below the Island.

As you can see Coco cay is a bit less than a mile in length and a bit less than half a mile wide.

cococay.JPG.1fdd20dce472501d553679b9c7917903.JPG

Just got back from spending Thanksgiving Day on Coco Cay. While you can do some hiking and exploring around you'll find some path's marked "Do Not Enter." Seems some of the people you'll encounter working on the island live there for period's of time and their quarters are somewhere in the middle of the island. You'll be able to get an idea of the layout from the ship. It's a really great spot to just chill and soak up the sun or make use of the jet ski's, kayak's, snrorkle gear, etc. they have for rent.

Shops on Coco Cay

cococruise249Large.jpg

Popular swimming area

cococruise269Large.jpg

More secluded side of island

cococruise239Large.jpg

Full island view from ship

cococruise313Large.jpg

Main area seen from ship

cococruise304Large.jpg

Archived