Cannon Powershot D10

kamac56

just want to thank all of you for helping me choose a camera with all of your picutres and discussions I chose the cannon D10. If anyone has tips they found to be helpful I would appreciate them.

Thanks again.

Now I am stoked for the cruise.:D

just want to thank all of you for helping me choose a camera with all of your picutres and discussions I chose the cannon D10. If anyone has tips they found to be helpful I would appreciate them.

Thanks again.

Now I am stoked for the cruise.:D

Hey when you get back, post your own new found tips (and a few pic's). My first D10 "wetting" will be in March and I'll be anxious to hear how you liked it. Yes, all the reviews have been very good. Remember it's negatively bouyant so get a little floatie on the strap or keep it on your wrist. Enjoy your trip!

Will do thanks, read the reviews on the floatie as well on the internet and went with the Zeikos ZFS10 strap, it appears some of the others have a tooo quick release, so I went with this one. am really excited to see how it works. We also have the Nikon D60 SLR for other shots too. so i think we are set, we just wished we had the Nikon for our alaskan cruise a few years back so I want to make sure for this cruise there are no "I wish I had the underwater camera" thoughts.

Thanks again.:):)

I don't mean to hi-jack your post, but maybe you'd like to know the answer to my question as well...

I too have the canon D10 and have recommended the camera to many. The question I have is for one of the settings.

I'm referring to the one (I think it's called color assist). You can have the whole picture black and white while one color will stay colored on the picture.

Now my question....

In reading the manual I read where "green" is the default color for this setting. When you are done taking your "black and white photo"...with color. Are you to go back in and change the color setting to green for the default? I'm afraid to try this setting because I don't want to be let with a camera that only takes black and white photos.

Has anyone tried this setting and can you explain how to get the camera back to taking regular photos?

Thanks for all this information - I have also set my mind on a Canon d10 - the best price I found was on Amazon - can't wait for my April 4th cruise to try it out - I will make a note of the strap.

Tess

I am by no means an expert, as a matter of fact I jsut got mine yesterday LOl but after reading the info (I pulled it up on the internet easier to read, bigger lettering ) it appears you need to set it back to default.

Resetting Settings to Their Default Values - PowerShot D10 IS.

1. Turn on the camera and press the <MENU> button to open the menu.2. Using the ArrowRightButton.gifbutton, highlight the yellow setup_icon.gif(Set up) tab.3. Using the ArrowDownButton.gif button, select [Reset All..] and press FuncSetIcon.gif.4. Select [OK] and press FuncSetIcon.gif.

But.............hopefully an expert will come along and tell us different.;)

I have an slr and was dead set against getting a little point and shoot to take with me on the cruise to the Carribean.

However, after reading several post about this D10 and it being an underwater camera as well, I think I'm hooked and have to have one.

I can't wait to see pictures of it.

I bought my Canon D10 before Christmas and found it on Amazon for $268 with free shipping. I love it I bought an extra battery and a float strap for a Nikon I believe (who cares as long as it floats) I think the extra battery was only $3-4 .... well worth it IMO. I can't wait to really test it out on my upcoming cruise. :cool:

I bought my Canon D10 before Christmas and found it on Amazon for $268 with free shipping. I love it I bought an extra battery and a float strap for a Nikon I believe (who cares as long as it floats) I think the extra battery was only $3-4 .... well worth it IMO. I can't wait to really test it out on my upcoming cruise. :cool:

When do you go on your cruise? I can't wait to see pictures. How do you think the d10 does on "land" pictures?

We leave 2/7/2010 and I will let you know how it goes but so far they are great when I have tried it out on land.

Oh wow, that's just around the corner. I can't wait to see pics. If you post them in a different thread, can you make sure that you come back here and let us know? That way I'll get a notification and can look for them.

Have fun on your trip! :)

Oh wow, that's just around the corner. I can't wait to see pics. If you post them in a different thread, can you make sure that you come back here and let us know? That way I'll get a notification and can look for them.

Have fun on your trip! :)

I will certainly do that.... and yes it is just around the corner.:D This Friday we leave.... I can hardly wait. I took a couple of pics this weekend in "OUR" normal February weather to show you how they look in land photos. I did not get a chance to edit or really pose them etc but just took them right off the camera. :cool: This first one is an old farm house we saw up against some red rock when we were on a drive on Sunday.... thought it was interesting.

IMG_0164.jpg

This one is DD and DS horsing around same day but more in flat light because it was snowing off and on.

IMG_0156.jpg

I have a D10 and took it on my last cruise. The camera was great and the underwater pictures turned out pretty good as did the video. There is a setting for underwater use which works well, but if you leave it on that setting above water, the pictures get a little off color so make sure you change the settings. We used it in both the pool and ocean and that is where I noticed the difference in the setting when I would take pictures of my DD standing by the side of the pool getting ready to jump in. You do get some odd looks when you take a digital camera and jump into the pool with it. The other thing I noticed is that you can have some water droplets left on the lense when you are going between water and above water and they too can get in the way of taking pictures above water. Biggest downside is that it is not great at rapidly going between water and above water and back without having to switch settings and make sure the lense has not water droplets. Then again, that is a minor thing and for taking underwater photos, it is great. Pictures on land were pretty good as well with the right settings. Below is a photo I took with the D10

Oh wow, the under water picture you shared was lovely. The colors are beautiful and it doesn't seem to have that greenish look to it that you see with a lot of the underwater pictures. Did you process this picture or is this out of the camera?

The picture is out of the camera and I did not enhance it or alter it. This was the best one I took. I think the shallow depth and sun light helped as well. I think the greenish look is addressed by the underwater setting on the camera as the color is a little off above water with the underwater setting.

I used my D10 in oct. on our last cruise, and we were very pleased with the underwater photos as well as land photos. We are sailing out again on saturday. I told DH I can't wait to use the camera again!

I got my D10, and did some testing over the last week. I am very impressed with the interior shots I took, and also the clarity of the underwater shots. While not perfect, the camera's AI seems particularly good, and seems to recognize Different kinds of settings (portrait vs. Macro, vs. interior, etc) really well. The camera actually indicated which mode it detected to be most useful, and saved me the hassle (not that it is much of a hassle) to manually set the shooting mode.

I did notice that a while after thinking the camera was dry, when I opened the seal to connect the camera to my computer, I noticed water droplets very close to sensitive areas of my camera. The water did not get inside, but I am going to be VERY careful opening my camera in the future.

In addition to drying before opening, also remember to rinse the camera in fresh water after using it in saltwater.

I have a special container I bring along when I know I'll be taking the camera in water. Everyone always looks at me and asks, why do you have your camera in water??? Then by the time I get back to my room, it's been soaking for at least an hour or so.

I am not sure why but when I used our D10 underwater than came back up it shut off and did not turn back on again till I got back to the cabin and soaked the camera and charged the battery. I only had the one battery and maybe should have had two for this reason other than that we were real happy with the camera as far as ease to use.

20253_10100151322186060_13929772_59492692_874852_n.jpg.ca7e578dbed76784ecb072e1789a4662.jpg

20253_10100151314107250_13929772_59492291_6738146_n.jpg.6af1d12090cfe33d468a29b68c5cd399.jpg

20253_10100151314112240_13929772_59492292_5526255_n.jpg.b8651211b8df2a6036afd3053a561d23.jpg

20253_10100151314072320_13929772_59492287_1559465_n.jpg.28a1f53286de9b69d222530bece9af02.jpg

20253_10100151322275880_13929772_59492705_3803722_n.jpg.c6f640f54b9b2cab14b6cd7353d4d44b.jpg

Archived