America's Cup Excursion - Worth It??

junebuggy

Comments please from anyone who has done the America's Cup excursion. Is it worth it? Thanks - cruising in 5 weeks!

If you are 'into' sailing, it is worth it. I did it my last trip and just went along for the ride. It was fun and I'm glad I did it. But I think those that could partake of the action had a lot more fun that I did.

My husband took this excursion and he was thrilled by the experience. He was not a "crewman", but sat in the middle. I think you would really enjoy it, especially if you know the history of the large racing ships.

Absolutely worth it, but you need to know what you're "getting into". It is not a sightseeing excursion, as the "race" is contested in the same bay that your ship is docked in. When everyone initially meets they are given a brief history of the America's Cup, then divided into teams and assigned a yacht. Once aboard your yacht, jobs are assigned (no one needs to do anything that they don't want to), and those with chores are schooled and given time to practice. Then, it's "off to the races"! I will never forget the thrill I got when the sails first filled with wind and the boat listed, picking up speed. For an hour or so, we zigged and zagged to cover the course, only to be edged at the finish line (our yacht, True North edged out by Stars & Stripes). The professional crew aboard made the entire time fun, but alot of attention was paid to safety. Bottom line - this was easily the most exciting excursion we have done on our 8 cruises. Enjoy!!!

We did this excursion a few years ago. Neither of us had any previous sailing experience but we thought it was something different to do. It was very interesting and exciting. A storm actually started up mid-way through the race (it was beautiful at the start and at the end, but in th emiddle it was dark skies, slight rain and WAVES). This just added to the fun! The crew was a lot of fun too. As for jobs, I forget what my husband did - but my job was, uh, I guess you would call the "beer wench?" I passed out the drinks:)

Thanks for the recommendations. As someone who has never had the chance to sail while being pretty passionate about the sport (did you see that 33rd Cup last weekend? Awesome!) this excursion jumped to the top of my list the moment I saw it. I'll likely be going it alone though... my wife is totally not into boats that list. LOL I'll meet her on the beach when I'm done I guess. :D

When I was in St Martin for a week a couple of years ago, I contacted the America's Cup office directly and they wouldn't book me on until all the cruise ship reservations were taken care of. I'd be cautious about using an outside vendor should it be a busy cruise ship day. Maybe that's changed since I went.

It was a great excursion and worth every penny

Has anyone booked this tour without going thru Carnival? We are on the Dream next week and have it booked thru http://stmaartencruiseexcursions.com/StMaartenAmericasCup.htm

I have booked other tours through them without any problems but have never seen any posts regarding this tour.

Thanks

I'm looking at this too for May. I've had a couple of emails with AC directly, and wasn't aware of any issues of waiting for the ship excursions to fill in. Maybe that's if you show up the day you want to go. But contact stmartenexcursions and see what they say. I do know that the ship excursions impose some restrictions on physical conditions out of liabilaty concerns that the actual vendor does not impose.

Come back and let me know how your excursion went. Really want to do this since I've walked around on some of these boats during their actual AC trials.

I'm looking at this too for May. I've had a couple of emails with AC directly, and wasn't aware of any issues of waiting for the ship excursions to fill in. Maybe that's if you show up the day you want to go. But contact stmartenexcursions and see what they say. I do know that the ship excursions impose some restrictions on physical conditions out of liabilaty concerns that the actual vendor does not impose.

Come back and let me know how your excursion went. Really want to do this since I've walked around on some of these boats during their actual AC trials.

Will let you know. When we booked they did ask the name of the ship etc. so they know we are on a cruise. We did request an earlier time but was granted the 1:00pm time. I am assuming this is because the earlier times are for the cruise ships. Excited about this excursion so hope it all works out.

• 4 weeks later...

Back from our cruise and wanted to share our experience with Americas Cup Regatta. We booked thru http://stmaartencruiseexcursions.com/StMaartenAmericasCup.htm instead of booking thru Carnival. (Cheaper this way) Did not have any problems with our reservations. I had requested a 10- 11 time slot but could only get a 1:00 time which ended up being a great time as we then had time to walk around and shop etc.

When we arrived at 1:00 we found we were the only ones who booked online (not thru the cruiseline) and we were put on with a group from Princess cruise. No big deal.

The excursion itself was OK but not as exciting as we had hoped. It could have been due to the fact the crew was on their 5th sail of the day and seemed tired. (There were 5 or 6 ships in port that day, including the Oasis) Dh had an active part and did enjoy it. I sat on the bow and simply watched (which was fine with me).

Overall it was a nice tour but would not do it again. Having said that we aren't big followers of the America's Cup so it may be a better experience for those who are.

Back from our cruise and wanted to share our experience with Americas Cup Regatta. We booked thru http://stmaartencruiseexcursions.com/StMaartenAmericasCup.htm instead of booking thru Carnival. (Cheaper this way) Did not have any problems with our reservations. I had requested a 10- 11 time slot but could only get a 1:00 time which ended up being a great time as we then had time to walk around and shop etc.

When we arrived at 1:00 we found we were the only ones who booked online (not thru the cruiseline) and we were put on with a group from Princess cruise. No big deal.

The excursion itself was OK but not as exciting as we had hoped. It could have been due to the fact the crew was on their 5th sail of the day and seemed tired. (There were 5 or 6 ships in port that day, including the Oasis) Dh had an active part and did enjoy it. I sat on the bow and simply watched (which was fine with me).

Overall it was a nice tour but would not do it again. Having said that we aren't big followers of the America's Cup so it may be a better experience for those who are.

Hey thanks for the update. How was the wind? Low winds make a dull race too. I can see crews being tired with 5 or 6 ships in port. I think there are only 2 when we're there but will double check. I'm in heaven on any boat that has a sail or an oar:). Also would rather be doing something to get my sunburn than sweating on a beach towel with sand.

We did this on our 2006 AOS cruise. Some people in our group liked it, while others did not. I personally was sorry that I did this. I did not feel that it was as "exciting" as it was advertised.

My family did this a few years ago and had a blast! My teenage daughters still talk about how much fun this was. I definitely recommend this excursion. You do have to book thru the cruiseline which is the only down side to it as I always book excursions on our own.

It's worth every penny. We booked thru HAL on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We were the first group of the day at 8:30.

The representative met us on the dock, we walked through the port area to the water taxi dock where the rep gave us some info on the history of the America's Cup race, divided us into 2 teams (there were 25 of us off the Westerdam) and we got to choose our boat - either the Stars & Stripes or Canada II. We then took a small ferry type boat to the mooring area where the boats are. Ian (from Great Britain) was our captain. DH was timekeeper and I was "bar wench" since we didn't think we wanted to do anything too active. And at ages 63 and 64 we were not the oldest in the group.

We ended up winning the race too.

Did this last week, booked with Carnival. I love to sail and this was a chance of a lifetime. Caution though if you say you want an active role in sailing the boat, you will work hard! My wife and I had a blast on this tour!

I've done this excursion twice and would do it again if my daughter fit the age requirement. BEST excursion I have ever been on. The first time was a blast because the wind was great, the second time was not as much fun because the wind was much diminished. The captains on each boat are a riot. Both times I did it in the morning so maybe that is why I had a better experience than others. I definitelly recommend it- I was the "Winch Wench" both times because I had sailing experience... the more you are willing to participate, the more fun you will have.

My DH and DD/SL did this last week (17th) at 1:30p. They were on the Stars and Stripes and it is a bit heavier--made to handle wind and heavier seas. They were losing the race until the winds picked up at the end...they did a tactical move and edged out Canada I and II at the finish line! All three really enjoyed the experience and their fellow crewmates.

We saw the 3 boats sailing back into Great Bay in the evening--what a long day for the real crew.

We are going back for our third time in October. I have a bit of experience on 12s, (Mitena and Bachant) so my situation is a bit different than most excursionists. When I was a kid, I was a fore-deck hand whenever I could find a slot on a racer, be it around the buoys or the Queens Cup or Chicago-Mackinac. Now being very mature, I usually grind a backstay. In our two previous trips, the racing was close and fun. I felt I was helping as I taught my companions on the backstays how to make their performance better. Of course I also know that the four of us working the backstays are doing the Chinese for the tactician/navigator in real world racing. Yup, one crewman does all that as a second job.

Anyway, the thing, I think that makes it fun is that all can be as involved as they wish. I want DW to work as a winch wench this upcoming trip. I think she will enjoy that a lot more than being bartender or whale lookout. I also see how quickly a crew comes together. The last tack or jibe is usually pretty good compared to the first. Sailing teaches teamwork.

This all amounts to a very long-winded way of saying it is great fun for all and especially if you sail anything at all.

Doc

I did this as a ships tour last November and had a really great time. I'll echo the post at the top of this page: most fun I've ever had on an excursion. And yes, DocF, I think the teamwork had a lot to do with that.

Archived