ques. about Grand Turk

rdr525

First time visiting Grand Turk and would like to to a "get acquanted" tour of the island. Ships tour is almost $50. ea. Does Gr Turk have tour cabs at the dock as do Bermuda, St Thomas etc?? Are they safe?

Going in Mid May- thanks R

First time visiting Grand Turk and would like to to a "get acquanted" tour of the island. Ships tour is almost $50. ea. Does Gr Turk have tour cabs at the dock as do Bermuda, St Thomas etc?? Are they safe?

We were in Grand Turk last July. We took into account that the island had been devastated the preceeding September by a hurricane but the island really had nothing to see. We rented a car and drove around but I don't know if I can adequately explain that there was nothing there. We drove to the lighthouse, not open and rusted and overgrown. No stores to go into, nothing. We did see lots of donkey, horses and some cows meandering by the side of the road. Went through the town, I think it was called Cockburn Town, didn't even stop, everything looked so uninviting. We are not fussy people so please don't think that is why my reaction was so negative. This island is nothing like Bermuda or St. Thomas. We are going back this year and will just stay at the port.

When I was there in October we had the best time! We rented a golf cart for $60 for a full day and drove around the island. I am sure that this island could be very boring but for us it was very fun exploring the island on a golf cart. We stopped by this hole-in-the-wall barbecue joint called Doo-Doos Rib Cage and Fish Fry and had a great time with the locals--they even gave us some free t-shirts (priceless!). We had such a good time on Grand Turk exploring and just having a fun time.

I took the Princess "Historical Town, Homes & Museum" tour ($64) and felt it was worth it.

If you rent a vehicle and strike out on your own, you would most likely not see some of the interesting places the tour went because you would not know they existed and how to get there.

Did not use a local cab, but they should be safe. This is a small island.

We also loved Grand Turk when we visited. We rented golf carts and found a great dive resort called Behio. It was a beautiful beach had some great drinks and enjoyed and peacefulness. It was great nice people that owned the resort.

We also loved Grand Turk when we visited. We rented golf carts and found a great dive resort called Behio. It was a beautiful beach had some great drinks and enjoyed and peacefulness. It was great nice people that owned the resort.

I am headed back to Grand Turk in a week! Woohoo! Where was this resort? I will have to find it via golf cart!

Or you can disembark, walk a few feet, wait in line to pay $10 for a marguerita, find a good lounger and chill, or wander from shop to shop looking at refrigerator magnets. still, it is better than Princess Cay

Renting the golf cart sounds interesting. Last time we were there the water was a little too cool to our liking. We spent the day at Margaritaville but had a very nice time with some people we ended up spending time with the rest of the cruise. I look forward to going back.

Or you can disembark, walk a few feet, wait in line to pay $10 for a marguerita, find a good lounger and chill, or wander from shop to shop looking at refrigerator magnets. still, it is better than Princess Cay

The only thing better than Princess Cay is the pool. We found the beach to be overcrowded which we've never seen at Princess Cays.

The only thing better than Princess Cay is the pool. We found the beach to be overcrowded which we've never seen at Princess Cays.

Not to mention the rocky bottom in the water. My son has not so fond memories of getting stung by a jelly fish there, which led to the kids having a great rest of the day in the Margaritaville pool.

After years of not disembarking at Princess Cay, we finally broke down and did it on our Ruby trip in March. Crowded beach, crowded water, impossible to find a decent lounger without dragging one 60 feet, constant offers of hair plaiting, all of this would have been tolerable but then there was the barbeque. Tasteless and cold, the perfect end to an ugly day and what is now our first and last visit to PC. We could have had the whole ship to ourselves as we had done in the past. We'll be on the CB in June and I know where we'll be. But, to each his own, right?

After years of not disembarking at Princess Cay, we finally broke down and did it on our Ruby trip in March. Crowded beach, crowded water, impossible to find a decent lounger without dragging one 60 feet, constant offers of hair plaiting, all of this would have been tolerable but then there was the barbeque. Tasteless and cold, the perfect end to an ugly day and what is now our first and last visit to PC. We could have had the whole ship to ourselves as we had done in the past. We'll be on the CB in June and I know where we'll be. But, to each his own, right?

You must have been to a different Princess Cays than the one I was at. :rolleyes:

When DH ANSI werein Grand Turk last April we walked past Margaritaville maybe a halfmile to Jack's Shack. We had the whole beach to ourselves and Mrs.Jack was very generous with the drinks for $5. You could eat, rent scuba equipment,boats,etc. They even had a gift shop. Great beach day.

We had a great time on Grand Turk. Rented a golf cart and toured the island. If have to walk all the way outside the cruise center to find them, out past the parking lot off to the left. The fact that there was not a lot here is what we liked about the island. If you go into town you can see some of the history of the island. They are still doing a lot of work everywhere. If you don't like crowds stay away from the cruise center. If you like to explore there are a lot of little roads to go down. You can go to 7:50 of this video to see what we did http://blip.tv/file/2900609

We had a great time on Grand Turk. Rented a golf cart and toured the island. If have to walk all the way outside the cruise center to find them, out past the parking lot off to the left. The fact that there was not a lot here is what we liked about the island. If you go into town you can see some of the history of the island. They are still doing a lot of work everywhere. If you don't like crowds stay away from the cruise center. If you like to explore there are a lot of little roads to go down. You can go to 7:50 of this video to see what we did http://blip.tv/file/2900609

Thank you Fore!! Loved the video! The golf cart sounds like a great idea.

When DH ANSI werein Grand Turk last April we walked past Margaritaville maybe a halfmile to Jack's Shack.

Jack's Shack is a big crew hangout. I felt uncomfortable there,

as I felt the crew needed a chance to actually get away from

passengers. (as wonderful as we all are)

When I was there in October we had the best time! We rented a golf cart for $60 for a full day and drove around the island. I am sure that this island could be very boring but for us it was very fun exploring the island on a golf cart. We stopped by this hole-in-the-wall barbecue joint called Doo-Doos Rib Cage and Fish Fry and had a great time with the locals--they even gave us some free t-shirts (priceless!). We had such a good time on Grand Turk exploring and just having a fun time.

Hi there Shellbell9567,

I haven't heard of Doo Doos but it sounds like my kinda place :p! I LOVE barbequed ribs and usually the little "hole-in-the-walls" have the best food! We will be in Grand Turk in June and we were looking to do something other than the Margaritaville for lunch. Can you provide any additional info on this place? Is it difficult to find? Any further info would be great.

Thanks,

Angel :)

Loved your video. What kind of movie camera did you use that you could take it underwater?

Hi there Shellbell9567,

I haven't heard of Doo Doos but it sounds like my kinda place :p! I LOVE barbequed ribs and usually the little "hole-in-the-walls" have the best food! We will be in Grand Turk in June and we were looking to do something other than the Margaritaville for lunch. Can you provide any additional info on this place? Is it difficult to find? Any further info would be great.

Thanks,

Ok, So I don't have exact directions for you as we were just exploring. But I went onto Google Earth and was actually able to find it on there--there are only a couple of photos and one of them is of Doo Doos. The best I can tell it is near the intersection of Osbourne Rd. and Moxie Folly. Just past the main town and before you get to the "Town Salina" which is a huge pond and probably their water supply, I am sure any local can direct you there too.

Also, I am headed there in a week and decided to try and reserve a golf cart in advance (although when we were there before there were plenty) and the guy I emailed says he is all booked up and he is the only one on the island with carts. So I would email him soon, his email is: nathanandlinda@tciway.tc

Good Luck! Have fun exploring--we sure did!

Here's a couple pics we have of Doo Doo's:

smalldoodoo2.jpg.1dfffeb1508caa4010348b5d05f91547.jpg

SmallDooDoo.jpg.c2adb22ea2ae8df84e7f47744846f936.jpg

smalldoodoo3.jpg.980a30b8d16b576e3e30129b4900e553.jpg

Ok, So I don't have exact directions for you as we were just exploring. But I went onto Google Earth and was actually able to find it on there--there are only a couple of photos and one of them is of Doo Doos. The best I can tell it is near the intersection of Osbourne Rd. and Moxie Folly. Just past the main town and before you get to the "Town Salina" which is a huge pond and probably their water supply, I am sure any local can direct you there too.

Also, I am headed there in a week and decided to try and reserve a golf cart in advance (although when we were there before there were plenty) and the guy I emailed says he is all booked up and he is the only one on the island with carts. So I would email him soon, his email is: nathanandlinda@tciway.tc

Good Luck! Have fun exploring--we sure did!

Here's a couple pics we have of Doo Doo's:

Great pics! I will email him now...thanks for the info!

cruising july 29th anyone know about cabanas at the cruise center, we reserved one but no one on the boards ever mentions one HELP:p

They weren't open for business when we were there last August, but they were for the most part finished.

586.jpg

587.jpg

589.jpg

588.jpg

Archived