FV Cabin Pics, FV/Aft CC Veranda

canderson

Find at the link below pics of a Millennium class Family View cabin and veranda.

There are four FV cabins in the aft of these ships (two on each side) on each of decks 7, 8 and 9. The corner FV cabins have somewhat larger verandas yet, but those verandas are wrapped in steel across the outside and back. The FV cabins just inside these have glass across the back, and while not quite as large, are still huge at about 10 x 20 feet. It is one of these inner FV cabins that is shown in the pictures. Interiors are the same in any case.

The FV cabin interiors are actually larger than a Sky Suite by about 20 square feet, and as you'll see, these 200 square foot verandas are larger than almost all of the Sky Suites with only one or two exceptions where a SS happens to have an unusually large veranda for some reason.

Note that the often discussed "aft Concierge Class" cabins have the same veranda as is shown in these pictures of the inner FV cabin. A CC cabin is a slightly foreshortened version of what you'll see here, without the divider door, and less space in the sitting area, but is the same width.

Hope that helps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ecandersonii

Excellent picture....thanks for posting them. I noticed you had 2 chaise lounges on your balcony ... were they standard or special request? I also noticed one was laid out flat. Was is comfortable enough for a nap?

The furniture you saw there was what we found upon arrival. They're happy to add or take away as needed. If you look really close, you'll see where we stuck 4 suitcases in the corner as well (didn't even bother to stuff anything under the beds this trip). If you didn't notice them, that should give you an idea of the actual size of this veranda.

As for "comfortable enough for a nap"... I could demonstrate that graphically as well but my wife prefers that I don't post the picture of her zzz'd out on the lounger. They are more than comfortable enough. However, if it rains, you'll want to pull them back under the overhang if you can so the pads don't get wet or it'll take a while to dry them out again. They're pretty thick.

Interiors are the same in any case.

Unfortunately, that is NOT the case! The interior of the corner FV is larger than the inside FV. The closet has one more door & interior content available and the counter/dresser in the bedroom is also 1/2 again larger in the corner unit than the inside unit! Not to mention the entire hallway going into the corner's that the inside's don't have, you can use that for suitcase storage, etc!

The corner unit's are larger, although the view is somewhat obstructed by the metal railing, it is a personal choice as to which a person prefers--we've done both!!!

I have the same photos available!

Hello Rosie (long time, no see),

yes, you are quite right of course--the corner FVs have a larger interior as well as balcony compared to the non-corner FVs. But then again, the non-corner FVs are excellent cabins nevertheless and very roomie, right?

Canderson, nice pictures! When I get a minute, I will add your link to my cabin photo index (if you have no objections).. Which cabin number were you in?

Our Infinity FV

Unfortunately, that is NOT the case!

Guess I'm going to have to dig out the July 2003 Alaska pics from 9197 on the Infinity and see what the deal is. The veranda is certainly different between them (larger on corners, but you can't the view isn't as good from a lounger), and there was something different in the cabin about storage, but neither of us recall it being that different. The "secret hallway" has been noted in some of my other posts as well. Good for folded baby strollers, even suitcases, etc. From the main corridor, you'd never know it was there. I remember when we first entered and saw yet a 2nd key'd door on the other end and wondered where we were going to wind up!

Someone said the closet space was different, but neither my wife nor I can remember any significant difference between 8183 (Summit a couple of weeks ago) and 9197 (Infinity a year and a half ago). Is it just the time and our memories, or is it possible that there are actually some variations between these two ship's FV arrangements? Time to dig out those photos.

For whatever it is worth, the non-corner FV is 3.5' shorter than a corner FV. The space that the non-corner FV "gives up" is occupied by the hidden hallway. All in all you lose about 23 sq ft in the non-corner FV (which includes the loss of a closet). But now we are talking about the difference between 270 sq ft for a non-corner vs 293 sq ft for a corner FV which is not a big deal--either one is very large.

As far as storage goes, the corner FV has 2 double door closets while the non-corner FV only has 1 double door closet. But the non-corner FV has that nice triangular hutch/closet instead.

canderson, checkout the Infinity corner FV

Hi David! How are you??? Yes, you're right with the comparisons between the 2 rooms, we've been in both on 2 different ships & the rooms are the same on each ship, the inside is slightly smaller than the corner. We really like the longer dresser & the additional closet as compared to that corner unit, but we take whichever one we can get!

Just got back from a cruise on Mercury in a Sky Suite, loved the larger bathroom but would take the FV over a SS any day! :D

But the non-corner FV has that nice triangular hutch/closet instead.

Our grandson Ethan found that corner hutch, and thought it amusing to hide in it. As they'd glued down some "art" inside the glassed-in upper portion, it wasn't quite as useful as it might have been for storage, but we did find that our hats could be parked there safely without worry about being crunched, and a few other odds and ends that we thought he ought not be messing with went in there as well.

I need to clarify something you were saying about overall length -- my recollection is that the interior hall is a side-to-side configuration such that the cabin would be deeper (toward the bow) near the bath by the width of this hall. Is that correct? I ask because it did seem to be a little tighter this time with the crib in there than it was the time before when we were in the corner.

Got it. Took me a minute to get my brain wrapped 180 degrees (twice -- think about it!) around the orientation since you were starboard in #8166 and I've always been port side if in a corner. The closets are also on the starboard side of the cabin if in an inner FV on the port side (confusing enough?) Good pics. We ought to put them all together sometime.

This sitting area in your corner FV pics looks identical to the inner FV. Any differences there that you would note?

I need to clarify something you were saying about overall length -- my recollection is that the interior hall is a side-to-side configuration such that the cabin would be deeper (toward the bow) near the bath by the width of this hall. Is that correct? I ask because it did seem to be a little tighter this time with the crib in there than it was the time before when we were in the corner.

canderson,

yes, that is correct the non-corner FV is shorter by the width of the hall. The space lost in the non-corner FV is indeed the area "toward the bow by the bath" as you said. That space is the least critical area in the stateroom which is why its smaller size is only a technical drawback rather than a real, practical drawback (loss of the extra double door closet notwithstanding).

The rest of the cabin--bathroom, sleeping area, and sitting area--should be identical. The longer dresser that Rosie mentioned is something that I did not know about.

• 4 months later...
For whatever it is worth, the non-corner FV is 3.5' shorter than a corner FV. The space that the non-corner FV "gives up" is occupied by the hidden hallway. All in all you lose about 23 sq ft in the non-corner FV (which includes the loss of a closet). But now we are talking about the difference between 270 sq ft for a non-corner vs 293 sq ft for a corner FV which is not a big deal--either one is very large.

As far as storage goes, the corner FV has 2 double door closets while the non-corner FV only has 1 double door closet. But the non-corner FV has that nice triangular hutch/closet instead.

Hey mahdnc,

My DW and I are looking at reserving either 8166 or 8168 for our family. Did you measure 8166 balcony size and how is it different than 8168?

Hey mahdnc,

My DW and I are looking at reserving either 8166 or 8168 for our family. Did you measure 8166 balcony size and how is it different than 8168?

Our corner FV tape measured out to be 327 sq ft. The adjacent non-corner FV balcony was 20’ long by 10’ wide--200 sq ft in size.

The corner unit balcony is larger mainly due to its “bathtub” extension (i.e. it is longer) and the fact that it overhangs the side of the ship (i.e. it is wider).

Either one is very nice.

The one disadvantage to the corner FV is the metal skirting blocks your aft view when you are sitting in your deckchairs. The non-corner FV has glass panels so that you can see out when you are seated. We were in 9199 which was the non-corner cabin.

Wesley

Terrific pix! mahdnc. I just looked at them. Your kids looked like they had fun! In reading this thread I began wondering whether I should look at Deck 7 instead of 8. Any thoughts?

We just did a cruise in a corner FV. We have also cruised in an aft cabin. IMHO there is no comparison between the FV and the CC. Go with the FV, if you don't mind paying the price difference. They are much larger than the CC, especially the corner ones ( you will probably not get a corner one with a guarantee but who knows???). The FV has two compartments, one with the regular bed area and one with two sofas. Both balconies are about the same (non corner FV vs. CC), but I think the FV balconey may be wider (not sure as we were in the very much larger corner FV).

I booked the FV guarantee for March 06, and i'm wondering, will I really be disappointed that i'm not in CC this time, or will the cabin be worth losing CC class? Any thoughts?

Thanks WV.

This will be our 2nd Celebrity Cruise. We really enjoyed the CC class. But on our Cruise and the Cruise critic threads that I read, everyone ranted and raved about the AFT cabins. The CC AFT were not available, whether that is really true or not, I couldn't get one.

I booked directly with Celebrity and she said the guarantee meant we'd get the AFT or a suite. I'd really love to get the AFT just once, however if they gave me a nice sweet I probably wouldn't complain, unless it was one without a balcony since my hubby smokes.

BTW, we booked the FV with just the two of us. I Know there was alot of discussion on the boards about that, I think because it's not a time when School is out or a major holiday. We are booked on for 3/4/06

I booked the FV guarantee for March 06, and i'm wondering, will I really be disappointed that i'm not in CC this time, or will the cabin be worth losing CC class? Any thoughts?
I'd prefer the FV without the additional goodies of a CC. Let's all just hope you don't get 'upgraded' to a Sky Suite -- you'll lose space both inside and out if you do.

Terrific pix! mahdnc. I just looked at them. Your kids looked like they had fun! In reading this thread I began wondering whether I should look at Deck 7 instead of 8. Any thoughts?

Your welcome! I think either Deck 7 or 8 would be fine. In general people seem to agree that you should avoid Deck 9 if the other two decks are available......

Archived