Key West Aquaruim?

Megan_Strick

I don't think so; but that is just my opinion.

Keep in mind that this place is tiny by any stretch of the imagination for an aquarium. Somewhat akin to a small petting zoo in my opinion.

Mike:)

I'm not a big fan of the Key West aquarium, and I say that as someone who has kept saltwater aquariums, and visited many of the larger aquariums across the country. The only memorable thing to me was the tarpon feeding that I saw....that might be worth the price of admission if you haven't seen them before.

My original plan in Key West was to visit Hemmingway House, the Mel Fisher museum, and the aquarium for $27.00 advance purchase, which saves several dollars.

Since people seem down about the aquarium, I was looking at another package that includes HH, MF, Truman House and Flagler Station for $32.50 advance purchase. Is the FS even worth going to or is it not much more than five minutes looking inside a train car?

Or should I buy individual tickets to HH ($11), Audubon House ($9) and Truman House? I can't access the ticket price on their website. Does anyone know how much Truman House is?

What would you recommend?

I went to the Audubon House a few years ago, and it's not terribly memorable to me. It's a house and garden with some artwork for sale. HH is worthwhile if you haven't been before and/or you like cats. (The lighthouse across the street from HH offers a great view of the island too.) The Mel Fisher museum has some cool artifacts to see, I enjoyed that one. Even though I've been to Key West numerous times over the years, I've never ventured over to the Truman house, and I don't know anything about flagler station.

If this is your first time to Key West, I'm not sure I'd even recommend a busy multi-stop package that may have you running from place to place. There is plenty to see/enjoy in Key West without buying admission tickets. Leave yourself some time to stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere.

My wife and I are driving to Key West this weekend, and the only thing we've booked is a dinner reservation at Blue Heaven. Other than that, we plan to enjoy the shops, the bars, and the pool.

IIRC Flagler Station used to be a railroad museum which was housed in a bright yellow cabboose. Their web page is still there, but I'm pretty sure it has been converted to the Key West Art Bar. Just in case you were thinking of looking at railroad memorabelia.

Pjk

My original plan in Key West was to visit Hemmingway House, the Mel Fisher museum, and the aquarium for $27.00 advance purchase, which saves several dollars.

Since people seem down about the aquarium, I was looking at another package that includes HH, MF, Truman House and Flagler Station for $32.50 advance purchase. Is the FS even worth going to or is it not much more than five minutes looking inside a train car?

Or should I buy individual tickets to HH ($11), Audubon House ($9) and Truman House? I can't access the ticket price on their website. Does anyone know how much Truman House is?

What would you recommend?

I thought the Truman Little White House was not very interesting and the Audubon House is only interesting if you take the audio tour. You could walk around a part of the grounds for free and visit the gift shop.

IMO, the things that are worth the price are the Hemingway House, the Lighthouse and museum because of the views from the top, and the Wrecker's museum across the alley from the aquarium, again because of the views form the top. You can usually save $1.00 pp if you buy tickets from the counter near the aquarium, and there are usually coupons available on-line. I'd print out coupons for the things I think I want to see, then use them as I actually visited the places. I'd not pre-book a package.

hth

Pjk

Thanks for the opinions. We visited Key West one time 10 years ago when I was a kid and saw the Shipwreck Museum and Curry Mansion. We do like cats. I don't think my mom will like traversing the staircase at the lighthouse. So it sounds like you think we should just wing it when we get there rather than buy tickets in advance to save a few bucks, right?

Thanks for the opinions. We visited Key West one time 10 years ago when I was a kid and saw the Shipwreck Museum and Curry Mansion. We do like cats. I don't think my mom will like traversing the staircase at the lighthouse. So it sounds like you think we should just wing it when we get there rather than buy tickets in advance to save a few bucks, right?

Yes, but I have a Key West magazine and its assocated coupon book. If it has anything that you might want to take with you to save as you pay the admission fee, I'll mail it to you. But these are available all over Key West in small, yellow newspaper-type dispensers all over the island.

I recall there's a $10.00 pp coupon for Danger's Wind & Wine sunset sail.

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived