Post-Cruise Hotel 'day room' recommendations

Rock Chick

Hi, my post-cruise flight back to the UK doesn't leave till 5pm and I've read on the forums that people can book a hotel just for the day. I've never done this before, so I looked on the websites for several Miami hotels to try and compare costs but couldn't find any information or facility to book for just a few hours.

Can anyone recommend Miami hotels which offers this facility please and how to go about booking it?

I'll be on my own without a car, so if there's a shuttle to the airport available that would be useful. I'd get a cab from the port to the hotel. I'd like a hotel with a nice pool and comfy sun loungers and somewhere nice to eat lunch.

Thank you.

Hotels near the airport should be more accomodating to crazy flight times - the Blue Lagoon area near MIA has several hotels that are often suggested on these boards including the Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and many others - I've stayed at the Homewood and the pool/hot tub area is nice and there are dining options within a 10 minute walk You may be able to catch breakfast if you hurry off the ship. :D

I doubt you can book a day room via the web site - you will need to call the hotel directly. You should be able to find the hotel numbers on the internet - call the hotel, not the 1-800 reservation number.

A taxi from POM to any hotel near MIA will run under $30 including tip; you should be able to use the free shuttle service to get from the hotel to MIA for your flight.

Good luck!:)

FYI, if you wanted to go to South Beach and hang out, you might want to do that.

You can take a cab to Lincoln Rd, or Collins, or wherever the mood takes you.

There's an Airport Flyer bus that will take you back to MIA for only $2.35 and they have luggage racks, etc.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

I wish you could do a Luggage Express thing with your cruise line, but I fear they don't do it for International travelers. =:-(

The Delano may store your luggage and let you hang out by the pool. Just a thought.

Have you booked Air/Sea package through the cruise line in the UK if so check if you have a day room included in your cruise price, as whenever we did the Air/Cruise package with RCCL there was always a day room booked for us at the Hilton Blue Lagoon hotel and they have a free shuttle bus to take you to the airport. This hotel has a very nice pool area but you will get the noise from the airport as you will be able to see the planes taking off and landing.

Have you booked Air/Sea package through the cruise line in the UK if so check if you have a day room included in your cruise price, as whenever we did the Air/Cruise package with RCCL there was always a day room booked for us at the Hilton Blue Lagoon hotel and they have a free shuttle bus to take you to the airport. This hotel has a very nice pool area but you will get the noise from the airport as you will be able to see the planes taking off and landing.

I've booked everything separately because I didn't like the flights and hotel offered by NCL UK. There was no post cruise hotel in the package offered.

I'm going to start telephoning hotels this weekend to see what's available. Thanks for all the replies.

Carol

Carol we have had a day room at the Hilton Blue Lagoon many times we have also used the Hotel that is inside the Airpor,t that was quite handy as we took our luggage along to the check -in desk as soon as it opened and then stayed in the day room until it was time to go to the departure lounge. This Hotel used to have a pool on the roof but not sure whether they closed it down when they did the refurbishments a few year back both Hotels were reasonably priced for the day room.

Hi, my post-cruise flight back to the UK doesn't leave till 5pm and I've read on the forums that people can book a hotel just for the day. I've never done this before, so I looked on the websites for several Miami hotels to try and compare costs but couldn't find any information or facility to book for just a few hours.

Can anyone recommend Miami hotels which offers this facility please and how to go about booking it?

I'll be on my own without a car, so if there's a shuttle to the airport available that would be useful. I'd get a cab from the port to the hotel. I'd like a hotel with a nice pool and comfy sun loungers and somewhere nice to eat lunch.

Thank you.

I know The Raleigh Hotel has a day pass to the pool for $25 and I'm sure they will store your luggage for you. They also have great poolside food and there pool there is very famous.

The Delano would be my first choice for the pool and the food there is quite famous. It is expensive though but worth it. With the pound against the dollar it shouldn't be as much of a stretch for you.

Hi Carol

I was going to post this same question up when I came across your post. We are in the same boat so to speak! The cruise gets back in at 07.00 am and the flight back to LHR isn't until 5.15 pm so I would be interested to see where you get with your research. I have e-mailed the Hilton Blue Lagoon asking this question tonight so will see if I get a response and post back on here.

Karen

Forget the slums of MIA. Raleigh is the best. Anthony Boudains fav Miami Beach hotel. You can also walk to new Airporter $2.35 bus which runs every 1/2 hour, saves $50 cab fare.

Not quite sure what you mean by all this. I get the "forget the Miami bit" however what is Raleigh and who is Anthony Boudains fav Maimi Beach Hotel? Not sure what the Airporter is - I take it it is a bus to the airport? I've never cruised from Miami before so excuse the "scottish" ignorance in advance.

Karen

Not quite sure what you mean by all this. I get the "forget the Miami bit" however what is Raleigh and who is Anthony Boudains fav Maimi Beach Hotel? Not sure what the Airporter is - I take it it is a bus to the airport? I've never cruised from Miami before so excuse the "scottish" ignorance in advance.

Karen

Karen,

I sort of remember parts of a New Years eve in Scotland when I was much younger, so let me try to help.

Airporter is an express bus connecting Miami Beach to MIA.

Raleigh is a famous old hotel and Anthony Bordains is a celebrity chef of sorts - not as famous or funny as Jamie Oliver nor as rude and obnoxious as Gordon Ramsey.

Good luck with the Hilton; if that does not work out try the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon - nice hotel, nice pool/hot tub, quiet area, and Casa Jaun (Cuban food) is a 10 minute walk. Have a good cruise!:)

John, the last day of my cruise is on Jan 1st so I'd be worried in case the bus ran a reduced service. It sounds like an excellent idea though and I have 2 nights in Miami pre-cruise so I will probably use this to get about and see the area. Thank you.

Karen, here's a link to the timetable, Ruthless Bunny kindly posted it earlier

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

Carol we have had a day room at the Hilton Blue Lagoon many times we have also used the Hotel that is inside the Airport that was quite handy as we took our luggage along to the check -in desk as soon as it opened and then stayed in the day room until it was time to go to the departure lounge. This Hotel used to have a pool on the roof but not sure whether they closed it down when they did the refurbishments a few year back both Hotels were reasonably priced for the day room.

Thank you, what is the name of the Hotel inside the Airport please?

I know The Raleigh Hotel has a day pass to the pool for $25 and I'm sure they will store your luggage for you. They also have great poolside food and there pool there is very famous.

The Delano would be my first choice for the pool and the food there is quite famous. It is expensive though but worth it. With the pound against the dollar it shouldn't be as much of a stretch for you.

Thank you. I've had a look at the Delano website, it looks amazing, however I'll want to get a proper shower or bath to get all the sunscreen off and tidy myself up properly for the long flight home, so I think I'll need a room for the day so I can spread out and access my clothes and organise myself properly for the long flight home. I'm thinking of checking in my main luggage as early as possible at MIA then taking myself and my hand luggage to the hotel, so I'd probably be better off at an airport hotel..

Hi Carol

I was going to post this same question up when I came across your post. We are in the same boat so to speak! The cruise gets back in at 07.00 am and the flight back to LHR isn't until 5.15 pm so I would be interested to see where you get with your research. I have e-mailed the Hilton Blue Lagoon asking this question tonight so will see if I get a response and post back on here.

Karen

Cheers Karen, please let me know how you get on. I get free calls to the USA so once I've made my list and started phoning round, I'll post my findings here.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. :)

Carol

Thank you. I've had a look at the Delano website, it looks amazing, however I'll want to get a proper shower or bath to get all the sunscreen off and tidy myself up properly for the long flight home, so I think I'll need a room for the day so I can spread out and access my clothes and organise myself properly for the long flight home.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. :)

Carol

If I remember correctly, some of the pool cabanas have showers. Just book a room there.

Hotel inside the airport is Miami international airport hotel I will check to see if I still have there phone number and if so will post it later but you should be able to check it out on their website although when we used them there was nothing on their site to say day rooms were available however when I phoned them they gave me a good rate.

Many thanks to all that have replied and given me a great help in finding a hotel. I emailed the Miami hotel within the airport and had a response back from them within 30 minutes! You can book a hotel room from 10.00 am - 6.00 pm at a reduced day rate. The rate given to me for Saturday 4th December was $105 plus some taxes so given the UK exchange rate against the $ just now it is working out at around £70 + the tax. I've mailed and asked them how to book i.e. on line or by e-mail as I don't see the option on-line so once they come back to me, I'll confirm my booking.

JohninDC - thanks for the clarification. As we are arriving in to Miami earlier for a few days we intend to visit South Beach so will have a look at some of the points that you mention and go and see if we can track down the chef! I did have a chuckle at your comment about slightly remembering a New Years Eve in Scotland - let me jolt your memory - it would have been freezing cold, there may have been a malt whisky involved and there may have been a lump of coal if you were first footing the neighbours

Madlotusgirl,

There was definitely some malt involved, and something about running out the back door and in the front (or maybe the other way around); I do remember not being able to catch a train for 3 days, so the party continued!:D Have a good cruise!

Many thanks for all the responses, this is what I love about CC, everyone is so helpful. :)

Karen, I was in Edinburgh last month for the Fringe Festival.

Here are my findings after several phone calls:

Hampton Inn and the Crowne Plaza - will not take advance bookings - you have to ring on the morning of arrival and see if they have a room available and they will give you the price that day.

La Qunita will not take a booking for the day, you have to book it for a night and won't be allowed to check in till the afternoon. The cost is $96 inc tax.

Sofitel said to ring a few weeks beforehand for a quote but said that it's usually around $89 + tax for the hours of 10am till 6pm

Doubletree also said to ring nearer the time for the best price and that you can book a room for the hours of 9am till 5pm. She said it normally costs between $69 and $89 plus tax.

I'm off to Greece tomorrow so I'll make some more calls when I return.

Kind regards

Carol

Many thanks to all that have replied and given me a great help in finding a hotel. I emailed the Miami hotel within the airport and had a response back from them within 30 minutes! You can book a hotel room from 10.00 am - 6.00 pm at a reduced day rate. The rate given to me for Saturday 4th December was $105 plus some taxes so given the UK exchange rate against the $ just now it is working out at around £70 + the tax. I've mailed and asked them how to book i.e. on line or by e-mail as I don't see the option on-line so once they come back to me, I'll confirm my booking.

JohninDC - thanks for the clarification. As we are arriving in to Miami earlier for a few days we intend to visit South Beach so will have a look at some of the points that you mention and go and see if we can track down the chef! I did have a chuckle at your comment about slightly remembering a New Years Eve in Scotland - let me jolt your memory - it would have been freezing cold, there may have been a malt whisky involved and there may have been a lump of coal if you were first footing the neighbours

Just a heads up, this hotel has been undergoing a major renovation for the last five or six years. Call and ask if the pool is open. If not, I would skip this hotel and opt for an airport hotel close by.

I haven't recommended it in years.

On the confirmation that came through it said that the pool etc., was closed however we intend to get off the cruise, check in at the hotel and then get on a bus back downtown or back to Miami Beach if there is something that we have missed on our days prior to the cruise or want to see again so the pool isn't a big thing for us whether it is open or shut - it's more about being able to freshen up prior to the long flight home and that was what we were looking for really so if anyone can recommend anything better, I'm open to offers as they say!

Karen

There is a shuttle bus picks up at the airport and takes you to the Dolphin Mall if you wanted to browse the stores for a couple of hours and grab something to eat the hotel should be able to give you the timings of the shuttle service.

Hello to all here with more experience than I :)

We are hoping to book a Miami Beach hotel on priceline in the next few days for our post cruise stay on October 30th. Rather than check out by 10am/11am can we request a delayed check out (to match our evening flight back to LHR)?? will this incur a further day rate ??

I know it will depend on the individual hotel, but thought maybe someone reading this has done so before and has recommendations...

Many thanks :) Helen

Archived