What's new at Half Moon Cay?

Koshlong

We called at HMC last month and noticed that there was construction going on between Cabanas 5 and 6, just behind the water sports area. It looked like the giant rib bones of a decomposed whale? I asked a couple of the life guards what was going on, and they said HAL was building a new bar and restaurant that was supposed to simulate the inside of an old sailing ship. It sounded interesting. I wondered if anyone else knows any more?

• 3 weeks later...
We called at HMC last month and noticed that there was construction going on between Cabanas 5 and 6, just behind the water sports area. It looked like the giant rib bones of a decomposed whale? I asked a couple of the life guards what was going on, and they said HAL was building a new bar and restaurant that was supposed to simulate the inside of an old sailing ship. It sounded interesting. I wondered if anyone else knows any more?

we were just there an it looks like a pirate ship at this point. Still far from being completed as well. I guess they are building a ship and making it some type of bar/restaurant. That would be a shame though...leave the Island alone

deeluvs2cruise.......I, too, have had cabana 5 (sky blue) and enjoyed the location. However, after seeing the construction last October, this time we booked #9 (eggshell).

From the pictures I have seen, too, I hope they cut some windows in the hull; it looks as it there will be some kind of sun terrace on the poop deck?

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a cruise with a stop at HMC. That bar is really an eyesore. Why would they build it right along the beach? If it was further back from the water, it might have not stuck out like it does. One of the reasons I love HMC is because it is not like all the other ports. It still has the look of an unspoiled and quiet island without the tackiness of other islands. What is Carnival Corp trying to do -- turn this wonderful oasis into another Grand Turk Margaritaville?:(

Would really appreciate the pics, we are there on 2/20 on Nieuw Amsterdamn and right now are looking at cabanas 9 or 10. Hope that would put us far enough away form the noise if construction is still going on.

Would really appreciate the pics, we are there on 2/20 on Nieuw Amsterdamn and right now are looking at cabanas 9 or 10. Hope that would put us far enough away form the noise if construction is still going on.

We booked #9 for March, hoping the same thing! It looked far enough away on the map.............

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, and yes, HMC lived up to all the hype and was wonderful. However...the new pirate ship bar, "Captain On The Rocks", was kind large and starting about mid-day, fairly noisy. It didn't bother us, as we didn't pay for a cabana and maybe for the peace and quiet, but I can see it being problematic for some. I'll post pics below.

2623720430071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

2892825150071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

2899746670071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

2918239060071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos - you have a beautiful family. I very much enjoyed reading your review. My extended family and I (12 in total) will be sailing on the Liberty in July to celebrate my daughter's sweet 16.

Archived