What's new at Half Moon Cay?

Koshlong

According to the first post HAL is building this.

There is talk about who actually spent the money to build this beach monster.

HAL is owned by Carnival and HAL only has ships visiting HMC 5 months of the year -- where as Carnival ships stop there all year long.

This new Bar -- JMO -- was built for the Carnival passengers.

deeluvs2cruise.......I, too, have had cabana 5 (sky blue) and enjoyed the location. However, after seeing the construction last October, this time we booked #9 (eggshell).

From the pictures I have seen, too, I hope they cut some windows in the hull; it looks as it there will be some kind of sun terrace on the poop deck?

They let you pick which cabana in advance? I thought you had to wait till you board, then go to shore excursion desk...

ucmom3:

On HAL you can book in advance, on Carnival you must wait until you board.

Whoops, ETA, I see on another thread below that Carnival now lets you book ahead of time as well. If it is anything like the HAL bookings, the cabanas get sold out months in advance of the cruise.

As I understand it, CCL now allows passengers to book "a" cabana on line, but not to choose which one. I might mention that they charge considerably less than HAL......:confused:

We were just on half moon cay on the weekend and were in cabana #14(red) which we were able to request ahead of time. It was near the end and in my opinion was the perfect location. Nice and quiet and away from the crowds. If you are looking for a peaceful cabana definitely look towards the higher numbers,

We just got home late last night and I haven't had a chance to get my pictures up yet but would be willing to post some photos if you would like ;)

We were just on half moon cay on the weekend and were in cabana #14(red) which we were able to request ahead of time. It was near the end and in my opinion was the perfect location. Nice and quiet and away from the crowds. If you are looking for a peaceful cabana definitely look towards the higher numbers,

We just got home late last night and I haven't had a chance to get my pictures up yet but would be willing to post some photos if you would like ;)

Did you book through Carnival or HAL? We've already booked our cabana, but if I can choose which one I prefer before hand, it would make things alot easier. Hope you had a great time on your cruise!!

We were with HAL. My mother in law booked the cabana, but after I had done some research she requested the number and location when she called. I am not sure if they automatically ask you but once she made the request they had no problem reserving a specific one for her.

are you cruising with carnival?

I've had cabana #5 a couple of times. Is the new bar right next to it? I may have to try for farther down the beach. I booked a cabana on Carnival's website and it says I'm being charged 399.00. Was I only supposed to check me and not my husband to be charged correctly?

Yep, you just bought two cabanas.

Looking forward to some pictures:D

I booked my cabana for April:D

I've had cabana #5 a couple of times. Is the new bar right next to it? I may have to try for farther down the beach. I booked a cabana on Carnival's website and it says I'm being charged 399.00. Was I only supposed to check me and not my husband to be charged correctly?

You probably don't want #5 (HAL's Sky Blue). It is RIGHT to the right of the bar (as you look at the beach from the water). I think it should come with a warning. #6 isn't much better; it's just to the left. The ship was built in the open space between them, and anyone walking to the bar from the beach has to pass directly in front of one or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cabana booked for April 18th but cannot choose the number until on board. If the only ones left when I board are 5 and 6, right next to the bar, I will not want either of them. Does anyone know if I will be able to cancel my reservation at that time?

Interesting that you aren't able to request a number. We were able to do it when we phoned to book it. Holland America actually had them listed in the excursion booklet by color. Ours was red (#14).

I am actually not sure if you are able to cancel once you are on board. My mother in law was able to cancel one of her excursions the day before and was refunded, but since Cabanas are limited it may be different?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I submitted one for the general review area here and posted it over on the Carnival board as well.

I'm wondering about food on the HMC. I've been on other cruise lines' private islands, and they bring food from the ship and offer a lunch buffet for free. Does this happen here when on Carnival?

Thanks!

I'm wondering about food on the HMC. I've been on other cruise lines' private islands, and they bring food from the ship and offer a lunch buffet for free. Does this happen here when on Carnival?

Thanks!

Yes, it is from 11:30ish to 2:00ish

Thanks!

It's the same. The buffet is okay - it's picnic food. Burgers, hot dogs, jerk chicken, salads, etc.

Archived