Australian ports

Hey Billyboy, There are plenty. Princess and RCL and i even think Holland America offer a circumnavigation around Australia, usually taking around 28 nights.

They also offer Perth to Sydney and vice versa, usually taking around 17-18 nights. A popular one thats offered by all cruise lines is if you just want to do the east coast up to Qld, they take about 12 nights and are great way to get introduced to sea life. That was the first major cruise we did and we loved it...

Good luck!!! I am sure whatever you choose you will love! :)

Hi there - Celebrity Century goes right around Australia and New Zealand in 3 cruises, that you could do back to back. Cruise 1 - depart Sydney, go around NZ finishing in Auckland. Cruise 2 - depart Auckland travel around the bottom of Australia to Perth. Cruise 3 - depart Perth and arrive in Sydney 18 days later!

Royal Caribbean International does the same but in 2 cruises - they depart Sydney and travel around the top of Australia to Perth in 16 nights, and they then travel from Perth around the bottom of Australia, around New Zealand and finish in Sydney 18 nights later.

Have fun!!

I agree fully with your sentiments...a cruise around (or partially around) Australia is a fabulous way of seeing this country.

We did Sun Princess Northern Explorer in April 2009, which is a great time of year for this cruise. Weather fine (sometimes a bit hot but not oppressive) and calm seas (cyclone season come and gone)

The itineries have changed since we went but the essentials are there. Departing Sydney, there are visits to Brisbane (of course), Whitsundays, Townsville, Port Douglas, Darwin, Broome (Cable Beach Yea) then Bali (new addition no doubt for duty free shopping) then Geraldton and finally Fremantle. This itinery is also done in reverse.

Ports omitted are Cairns (for Pt Douglas) and Exmouth (not a lot there).

Important factor is that this itinery best suits mid size cruise ships (Sun is 77,000 tonnes) and even then they still need to tender and Townsville and Geraldton (not sure about Bali). Forget about the Ship's tour at Geraldton to Hutt River (if they still offer it). Poor old "Prince Leonard" is now well past it, and the Hutt River Province is nearly derelict.

This itinery is 17-18 nights, which when added to an extra day or two in Perth rounds out a nice 3 weeks away. There are other cruises that continue on all round but that adds at least another 2 weeks which I for one could not afford (either $$$s or time off)

Obviously I am talking from a Princess perspective, and as others have said there are similar options available from other cruise lines.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Billyboy, There are plenty. Princess and RCL and i even think Holland America offer a circumnavigation around Australia, usually taking around 28 nights.

They also offer Perth to Sydney and vice versa, usually taking around 17-18 nights. A popular one thats offered by all cruise lines is if you just want to do the east coast up to Qld, they take about 12 nights and are great way to get introduced to sea life. That was the first major cruise we did and we loved it...

Good luck!!! I am sure whatever you choose you will love! :)

Hi cazz0069,

Thanks for the info, which one in your opinion is the best value for money?

Hi there - Celebrity Century goes right around Australia and New Zealand in 3 cruises, that you could do back to back. Cruise 1 - depart Sydney, go around NZ finishing in Auckland. Cruise 2 - depart Auckland travel around the bottom of Australia to Perth. Cruise 3 - depart Perth and arrive in Sydney 18 days later!

Royal Caribbean International does the same but in 2 cruises - they depart Sydney and travel around the top of Australia to Perth in 16 nights, and they then travel from Perth around the bottom of Australia, around New Zealand and finish in Sydney 18 nights later.

Have fun!!

Hi BrusselsGirl07,

Both of those sound awesome. Which one did you like better? Thanks.

I agree fully with your sentiments...a cruise around (or partially around) Australia is a fabulous way of seeing this country.

We did Sun Princess Northern Explorer in April 2009, which is a great time of year for this cruise. Weather fine (sometimes a bit hot but not oppressive) and calm seas (cyclone season come and gone)

The itineries have changed since we went but the essentials are there. Departing Sydney, there are visits to Brisbane (of course), Whitsundays, Townsville, Port Douglas, Darwin, Broome (Cable Beach Yea) then Bali (new addition no doubt for duty free shopping) then Geraldton and finally Fremantle. This itinery is also done in reverse.

Ports omitted are Cairns (for Pt Douglas) and Exmouth (not a lot there).

Important factor is that this itinery best suits mid size cruise ships (Sun is 77,000 tonnes) and even then they still need to tender and Townsville and Geraldton (not sure about Bali). Forget about the Ship's tour at Geraldton to Hutt River (if they still offer it). Poor old "Prince Leonard" is now well past it, and the Hutt River Province is nearly derelict.

This itinery is 17-18 nights, which when added to an extra day or two in Perth rounds out a nice 3 weeks away. There are other cruises that continue on all round but that adds at least another 2 weeks which I for one could not afford (either $$$s or time off)

Obviously I am talking from a Princess perspective, and as others have said there are similar options available from other cruise lines.

Cheers

Hi Flipper133,

That's very informative thank you, it sounds like you had fantastic time. Would you recommend a trip like that during summer?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think these voyages are actually offered during high summer. As I see it they are available early autumn (March/April) or early spring (Sept)

On Princess these itineries are actually relocation cruises, so they can come and go to Fremantle (Perth) for their short season of cruising to Sth East Asia and sometimes a fantastic round cruise through parts of Asia, India, Sth Africa and even the Scheyshells (sic)

cheers

P&O qld cruises

7 nights from Brisbane Whitsundays, Cairns and Port Douglas, Brisbane.

10 nights Newcastle , Brisbane, Whitsudays, Carins, Port Douglas New castle.

4 nights New castle , Melbourne, New castle.

2 nights New castle , Brisbane.

10 nights Sydney , Brisbane, Whitsudays, Carins, Port Douglas, Sydney.

17 nights Sydney, Brisbane, Whitsundays, Carins,Darwin, Kimberkey coast, Exmouth, Fremantle.

8 nights Fremantle , Geraldton, Exmouth, broome, Fremantle.

9 nights Brunbury, Albany, Adelaide, Melbourne Sydney.

8nights Sydney, Melbourne, Brunie, Coles Bay,Port Arthur, Hobart, Sydney.

Princess cruises Australia cruises.

2 nights Melbourne to Sydney.

28 nights around Australia from Sydney sectors can be taken on this cruise.

Love Thied

I don't think these voyages are actually offered during high summer. As I see it they are available early autumn (March/April) or early spring (Sept)

On Princess these itineries are actually relocation cruises, so they can come and go to Fremantle (Perth) for their short season of cruising to Sth East Asia and sometimes a fantastic round cruise through parts of Asia, India, Sth Africa and even the Scheyshells (sic)

cheers

Thanks a lot Flipper133

Archived