Snorkelling close to the ship?

Well not exactly the ship itself!! - But , in what South Pacific Ports, is there decent snorkelling close to wherever the ship docks or tender boats tender to- without having to get taxis, ship tours, private tours, etc.

For example, I know of five- at Lifou Island, Champagne Bay, Mystery Island, Dravuni Island and Isle of Pines

All South Pacific Islands please - including across to Tahiti.

Thanks for any advice

Barry

Well not exactly the ship itself!! - But , in what South Pacific Ports, is there decent snorkelling close to wherever the ship docks or tender boats tender to- without having to get taxis, ship tours, private tours, etc.

For example, I know of five- at Lifou Island, Champagne Bay, Mystery Island, Dravuni Island and Isle of Pines

All South Pacific Islands please - including across to Tahiti.

Thanks for any advice

Barry

You can add Wala to the list, tender boats drop you off and you can snorkel from the beach

it's many years since I've been there, but I do remember that in Bora Bora *sigh* the snorkel boats left from a pier adjacent to where the ship's tender came in

Hi TIMTAM2

I know where the pier is - but I am not sure what you mean by "the snorkel boats???"

Regards

Barry

Wala is another one.

For Lifou, there is a bit of a walk to the good Snorkelling spot (Baie de JINEK).

When you say bit of a walk are we talking

10 to 15 minutes

1 km

steep uneven terrain

what exactly.

And is the snorkeling good, do you have to go out very far to see stuff, not sure how my mum would go in deep water

When you say bit of a walk are we talking

10 to 15 minutes

1 km

steep uneven terrain

what exactly.

If I remember right I think its about a 15 - 20 min walk to Baie de JINEK, apart from the hill that goes up to the road you walk along, the rest of the terrain is even, and its all cement/tarmac.

And is the snorkeling good, do you have to go out very far to see stuff, not sure how my mum would go in deep water

You don't need to go our far to see much, Have a look at these photos, these where taken a bit further out, but not much.

Hope this helps :)

If I remember right I think its about a 15 - 20 min walk to Baie de JINEK, apart from the hill that goes up to the road you walk along, the rest of the terrain is even, and its all cement/tarmac.

You don't need to go our far to see much, Have a look at these photos, these where taken a bit further out, but not much.

Hope this helps :)

Wow that looks amazing.

Now is Lifou the place where people recommend wearing closed in shoes as the beach is coral?

IS the beach just good for snorkeling or good for laying on the beach and paddeling in the shallows to

There's no beach at Baie de Jinek, Lifou. You go down to the water on the 'rickety' steep steps, however some pax have said the steps were washed away in the cyclone and there are some rocky difficult steps further along.

There is plenty of sandy beach by the jetty, but not so good for snorkelling, especially if it's choppy.

There's no beach at Baie de Jinek, Lifou. You go down to the water on the 'rickety' steep steps, however some pax have said the steps were washed away in the cyclone and there are some rocky difficult steps further along.

When I was there last year, the other set of steps were very stable, didn't even bother looking at the ones shown in the earlier link. Of course, don't know if they were also affected by the cyclone.

Hi TIMTAM2

I know where the pier is - but I am not sure what you mean by "the snorkel boats???"

Regards

Barry

When I went snorkelling there, it involved a short trip out on a little boat - it was my first time snorkelling and I remember being quite hesitant about getting into the water. It wasn't a big boat like the ones on the Barrier Reef, more like a big canoe thing for about 10 people. It's probably changed a lot since I did that trip

Wow that looks amazing.

Now is Lifou the place where people recommend wearing closed in shoes as the beach is coral?

IS the beach just good for snorkeling or good for laying on the beach and paddeling in the shallows to

We just returned from a cruise where Lifou was one of our ports of call, it is about a 10-15 minute walk, the rickety stairs have gone due to cyclone we had to climb down some steep concrete steps and rocks and then jump in as the tide was in, there is also a spot on the other side of the island, we found out after we got back to the ship hopefully someone else who has been to Lifou can let you know about that side if it is easier to get to.

MMM doesnt seem like there is alot to do in Lifou. I mean sure it sounds beautiful and there have been times my mum and i have gotten weighed down with life and other family members and have been like " I wish i could just escape to a tropical island" but this might be a bit extreme :)

I wonder why they spend a whole day there. mmmm

Wala, Vanuatu - you just step off the tender onto the beach. The Ship is also parked really close to the shore.

Papeete, Tahiti - just came back from a cruise there. We did a snorkelling tour that left on a boat right from the wharf where the ship is docked. Took about 10-15 mins to get out to the snorkelling spot. There was a small plane & 2 sunken boats you could see & tons of fish plus coral & if your lucky harmless sharks & rays (we didn't see any though).

Hot Chilli

re The snorkelling "tour" in Papeete - that sounds interesting but also sounds like it is a rather "deep water" type of snorkelling experience?? Got any memories of cost please?

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry,

Cost of the tour was $120 per person. I booked it through the ship (Rhapsody) cause it was Easter Weekend & you know what the French are like on a Public Holiday!

The actual snorkelling site is at the end of the Runway in Papeete. The depth varies greatly in that area. The boat was anchored at a depth of 6 feet (so not that deep). It stayed relatively the same close to the boat but as you went further out it got deeper in places. The water was an amazing blue colour. The day we did it the wind was up which made the water a bit choppy. It paid it be a strong swimmer but the ones that were not did OK with noodles helping them out.

Archived