Radiance of the Seas revamp begins!

Cruise Weekly is rather newsy today! Some interesting innovations planned here.

Australia’s newest superliner will have some of the same features as Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

FOLLOWING THE LEAD OF THE WORLD’S biggest cruise ships, Royal

Caribbean’s latest Sydney-based ship will be fitted out with six more

restaurants, a giant poolside cinema screen and day-care facilities for babies aged from six months old.

The multi-million dollar ‘revitalisation’ of Radiance of the Seas includes Izumi, an upmarket Japanese eatery, and the Boardwalk Dog House hot-dog outlet, in addition to the previously announced Samba Grill steakhouse, the Mexican-themed Rita’s Cantina, Giovanni’s Table, and the Park Café. This is on top of the ship’s existing main dining room, pizzeria and Windjammer buffet.

Groups of 14 passengers can also book the Chef’s Table for a wine-paired menu, presented by the featured chef, which brings the total dining choices to 10 – more than any other vessel sailing in Australia.

Other highlights will include a British-style pub called the Quill and Compass, wi-fi internet throughout the ship, interactive TVs in all cabins, and new lounges for loyalty program members.

Previously only featured on the line’s Oasis class of ships, Radiance will also offer parents of babies (six to 17 months) and toddlers (18-36 months) a dedicated nursery, so children can be left with trained professionals for US$8 per hour.

“Radiance of the Seas is already the best ship to be based in the region – the newest, largest and most innovative – but what we’re doing is taking an already great ship and transforming her into a truly spectacular ship,” said Gavin Smith, managing director, Royal Caribbean Cruises Australia.

“Best of all, Australians will be amongst the first in the world to enjoy the

enhancements,” he added.

The 2100-passenger ship goes into dry dock in Canada on Friday for three weeks and is set to arrive in Sydney on 15 October, offering cruises around Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific.

Thanks for the update.

If everything in this report is correct and they are marketing this ship as 2100 pax they will achieve a passenger to weight ratio of 43:1.

This will give all who are lucky enough to sail on her a true taste of uncrowded cruising luxury.

This really is big news for the industry.

On the RC site it states that this ship is 90000 tons and can carry 2500, even if they fill every berth, which RC very rarely do, it's still up around 36:1

I wonder how the prices stack up, just off to check.

Thanks again

Paul

Thanks Sandielle for posting this,I am cruising on the Radiance in September.Personally I would have preferred to sail on her pre refurb as I have heard that she is a lovely ship.It seems that they are adding a lot of new restaurants that won't interest me anyway.

Regards Elaine.

Does anyone know where we can find the floor plans for the Radiance post-refit? All the plans I've seen are for her current configuration.

I'm assuming that some of the floor plans will change as a result of adding all those new restaurants and deleting whatever was in their place previously.

I'm sailing on her in December and would like to know what I'm in for.

Thanks Sandielle for posting!

I have found pricing for Radiance very comparable to P&O pricing.

For me, a good deal is approx $100 per person per night for quad share, or $150 per person per night for twin share.

For a 12 night Radiance cruise in March 2012, inside prices are approx $1380 per person based on quad share (approx $115 per person per night) and approx $1820 per person based on twin share (approx $151 per person per night).

Outside and balcony prices also seem to be more affordable.

Everyone's idea of a good deal is different, but for me, the above prices for the "per person per night" seem a good deal.

I think that the prices will increase closer to the date as the ship fills up as there are not a huge amount of cruises on offer and a lot of people will be wanting to try this new ship for Australia - our first 21st century superliner.

We are also sailing in Dec 4 and are keen to see the improvements. However I think it looked great before the re-fit. I am keen to see the English pub they are including, but there will be so many bars on board, so I guess you just have to check on them all.I thoudht the deck plans haven,t changed on the website yet as I was on there a couple of days ago.

Does anyone know where we can find the floor plans for the Radiance post-refit? All the plans I've seen are for her current configuration.

I'm assuming that some of the floor plans will change as a result of adding all those new restaurants and deleting whatever was in their place previously.

I'm sailing on her in December and would like to know what I'm in for.

This was posted on USA Today's website today with a video of some of the work that is being done on the Radiance.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/05/royal-caribbean-radiance-of-the-seas-cruise-ship-dry-dock/171561/1?csp=Travel

She was a fabulous ship when we sailed on her in 2002, and it sounds like they are making some great additions. Enjoy!

That video answered my big questions..

The Park Cafe will be located in the Solarium.

The Hotdog Stand will replace the 24hr Coffee Station on the pool deck.

The Samba Grill will replace the exiting Seaview Cafe.

They didn't mention where Rita's Cantina or Giovanni's Table will be located.

That video answered my big questions..

The Park Cafe will be located in the Solarium.

The Hotdog Stand will replace the 24hr Coffee Station on the pool deck.

The Samba Grill will replace the exiting Seaview Cafe.

They didn't mention where Rita's Cantina or Giovanni's Table will be located.

Radiance will have the following new eateries, information courtesy of CC member cruisenfever:

The new dining venues are all going into locations that already exist. Just look at the current deck plans and it will give you the location.

• Giovanni's will replace Portofino on Deck 6
  • Samba's Grill will replace SeaView Cafe on Deck 12
  • Park Cafe will replace Solarium Cafe on Deck 11 in the Solarium
  • Chef's Table will replace the Card Room on Deck 6
  • Boardwalk Dog House will be incorporated in the Coffee Station outside the main entrance to the WJ on Deck 11
  • Rita's Cantina will be located on the starboard side as you exit to the back of the WJ on Deck 11
  • Izumi will be located on the port side outside as you exit to the back of the WJ on Deck 11

Wish they'red bring their pricing for Radiance down a bit whilst she's here....

Don't know what you think, but I think it's expensive.

Jilly:)

Hi Jilly, I think pricing is what it is, as there are only 10 or so cruises on offer on Radiance, with a variety of destinations. The demand is there for that price, so unsure if prices will come down.

From what I've seen on a couple of the Radiance cruises, there are some cruises priced from approx $130 per person per night for twin share.

There are also some great deals for under $100 per person per night, based on quad share.

For example, for an 18 night Australia & New Zealand cruise, pricing on RCI website: $6607 incl taxes total booking / $1651.75 incl taxes per person / $91.76 incl taxes per night.

Balconies too on Radiance are much more affordable than other ships, which I imagine is because there are so many of them.

It really all depends on what you consider as cheap prices, and what categories you book. But there are some good prices out there! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everybody.We were lucky enough to cruise on Radiance of the Seas from Seward to Vancouver back in June 2007.Let me say that those booked on her upcoming Aussie cruises you are going to have an amazing time.From as soon as step on to her it is just incredible. I am glad to see that a lot of the areas are remaining the same to what they were when we cruised on her. Have a great time,make sure you see every part of the ship,it is going to be something you will never forget.

Heres a link to someone who has just sailed on the Radiance after her fit out, the review i think, will be updated with more piccies when she gets time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434211

We sail on her when she sails for the first time here in Australia and our first balcony cabin. Price wise we got a bargain compared to the prices now.

Stevo

Heres a link to someone who has just sailed on the Radiance after her fit out, the review i think, will be updated with more piccies when she gets time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434211

We sail on her when she sails for the first time here in Australia and our first balcony cabin. Price wise we got a bargain compared to the prices now.

Stevo

Thanks for that, exciting having a new ship in Oz

Archived