Stockholm from FRIHAMNEN dock?

bazzaw

I understand that the FRIHAMNEN dock is reasonably close to the centre of Stockholm - and that there is a public bus (Number 76??) , a blue HOP-ON HOP-OFF bus and also the possibility of a free? shuttle bus into the city.

Howeverm my experience tells me that when there are 2000 people on a ship, all wanting to do the same thing at the same time, it is not as simple as it can first appear to be.

So - has anybody got any experience please of getting into Stockholm from Frihamnen - would perhaps a ship's tour be easier for this port? Not really looking to save money - just have a nice day :)

Barry

I understand that the FRIHAMNEN dock is reasonably close to the centre of Stockholm - and that there is a public bus (Number 76??) , a blue HOP-ON HOP-OFF bus and also the possibility of a free? shuttle bus into the city.

Howeverm my experience tells me that when there are 2000 people on a ship, all wanting to do the same thing at the same time, it is not as simple as it can first appear to be.

So - has anybody got any experience please of getting into Stockholm from Frihamnen - would perhaps a ship's tour be easier for this port? Not really looking to save money - just have a nice day :)

Barry

Barry

When we visited Stockholm, we also docked at Frihamnen, but we had the unfortunate luck of being there on a Sunday when the #76 bus doesn't run, so that severely limited our ways of getting into town. To be honest, we NEVER considered any sort of ships tour. For the price they would charge, you probably could get a taxi, or just use the HoHo buses, which is what we did. Now they are not cheap either, costing about $40 ish PP, but they were the way to go. Can't say if this was the case because it was a Sunday, but there were at least 5 of these buses ready to take on passengers all wanting to get into the heart of Stockholm. We also had the unfortunate deal of there being a Marathon being run that morning, so the HOHo hadvto drop us off a few blocks from Vasa, but it was really no big deal. We walked back, caught the HoHo bus to Gamla Stan, and when we were ready to return to the ship, we were told to catch the bus by the opera house, right in the near vicinity. Worked out great for us.

Stockholm was our favorite port on this cruise. We loved Vasa, the Palace, the colorful changing of the Guard ceremony and most of all just wandering around Gamla Stan. There is so much to explore, to nosh, to shop. We found this little out of the way shop, and spent about 30 minutes just conversing with the owner about life in general. She was so nice and so helpful.

Here are a few of my pix of Stockhom. Hope you enjoy

The Vasa Museum should be your first stop as it does get crowded and they limit the amount of people in the museum at one time. Also, see the movie.

A model of the Vasa

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1215.jpg

Walking back to the bus stop, you pass by some wonderful views and bridges

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1235.jpg

The Royal Palace and guards

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

In the cvourtyard, you can view the Changing of the Guard ceremony complete witha full marching band. We got a kick out of their first song--the theme from Rocky

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1366.mp4

The Palace is at the very beginning of the section known as Gamla Stan. Once you walk into the heart of this section, you are in a wonderful area of narrow cobblestone streets, some teeming with tourist and others nary a soul.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1268.jpg

Walking around, you can make your way down to the harbor for some rest and relaxation

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1318.jpg

You will simply LOVE Stockholm.

Cheers

Len

When I was there, I used the #76 bus to get to/from port to center city with no crowd issues. I did do some advance research and pre-ordered a Stockholm Card which permitted me use of the bus as much as I needed. I was there several years ago, and at the time, I don't think the buses took credit cards and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the local currency prior to getting to the bus. I don't know if that's an issue any more or not. But they sent me the Stockholm Card to the US and it also got me into a couple other places that I wanted to see (like the Vasa). I probably didn't get my full money's worth from the Card, but it did make it VERY convenient for me to get around town. I used it for 4 bus trips during the day. Whether you use the card or not for the money aspect, my point is that the #76 worked fine for me on that day. Just do some research about the names of stops and where you want to go and what the route is, and it's a piece of cake. Assuming it's not Sunday. I will add the caveat that I was one of the first people off the ship that day and there were only about 5-10 other cruisers using the bus in the morning (which was probably one of the first busses to stop at that location after the ship docked). Coming back to the dock that afternoon, the bus was more crowded when I wanted to get on it in the downtown area and I had to stand for a while. But if you do this, do the research to see what your payment options are now. It might be different now since I was there in 2008.

Thanks for the info. We will be there in June. I just looked up the Stockholm card online and see that you can purchase it online. I converted the price and it is $66 per adult and $31 per child (We have 2 adults and 5 kids). We want to go to Vasa, Skansen and use the transportation. Is it worth it to buy onine in advance and have it shipped to our home?

Thanks for the info. We will be there in June. I just looked up the Stockholm card online and see that you can purchase it online. I converted the price and it is $66 per adult and $31 per child (We have 2 adults and 5 kids). We want to go to Vasa, Skansen and use the transportation. Is it worth it to buy onine in advance and have it shipped to our home?

Adult

Transport 115 kr

Vasa 110 kr

Skansen 140 kr

Skansen akvarium 100 kr

Total. 465 kr

Stockholm Card 450 kr

Child

Transport 70 kr

Vasa free

Skansen 60 kr

Skansen akvarium 60 kr

Total. 190 kr

Stockholm Card 215 kr

The Skansen Akvarium http://www.skansen.se/en/skansen-aquarium is nice little private zoo with tropical animals located in Skansen's old monkey house.

Extra admission charge. Quite sure the children would like to have a look at it so I included it in the costs.

As you can see the costs come out about even but it is convenient to use the Stockholm Card, especially as you cannot pay the bus drivers. So otherwise you have to get yourself a transport ticket somehow before entering the bus. Also, I succesfully used the Stockholm Card once to skip the queue at Vasa.

Adult

Transport 115 kr

Vasa 110 kr

Skansen 140 kr

Skansen akvarium 100 kr

Total. 465 kr

Stockholm Card 450 kr

Child

Transport 70 kr

Vasa free

Skansen 60 kr

Skansen akvarium 60 kr

Total. 190 kr

Stockholm Card 215 kr

The Skansen Akvarium http://www.skansen.se/en/skansen-aquarium is nice little private zoo with tropical animals located in Skansen's old monkey house.

Extra admission charge. Quite sure the children would like to have a look at it so I included it in the costs.

As you can see the costs come out about even but it is convenient to use the Stockholm Card, especially as you cannot pay the bus drivers. So otherwise you have to get yourself a transport ticket somehow before entering the bus. Also, I succesfully used the Stockholm Card once to skip the queue at Vasa.

Good stuff Ulti ... :)

Thanks. This is great!

I have copied and pasted it into my travel file.

My only other thoughts would be, would it be easier and faster to take a taxi? If it will save time and cost just a little bit more, it may be worth it. We would need two taxis or a taxi van. It is easy to find and get a taxi in Stockholm?

Ultima and Al,

Thank you for the great information you provide ! ! !

Is it possible to buy a 24 hour SL Travelcard Card on line? Have checked the SL website under the visitors tab, but can not find how to order online. If it is not available online... is there a location near the ship to buy one?

Thank you,

Ultima and Al,

Thank you for the great information you provide ! ! !

Is it possible to buy a 24 hour SL Travelcard Card on line? Have checked the SL website under the visitors tab, but can not find how to order online. If it is not available online... is there a location near the ship to buy one? Jewel of the Seas is scheduled to dock at F638 FRIHAMNEN.

We will be in port from 09:00 to 17:00 on Thursday 31 May 2012... are the Vasa Museum hours 10:00 to 17:00 or 08:30 to 20:00 on 31 May?

Thank you,

Raul, it sounds to me like we cannot buy the SL Transport card until we get to Stockholm. I found the following URLs that are helpful:

http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Tickets/Visitor-tickets// and

http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Tickets/Buying-tickets/

If this is correct, then we would have to get in touch with a Ticket Agent before we leave the US. I'm not sure if this is possible or not.

If I am wrong about this, hopefully someone will post to let us know. :)

Ultima and Al,

Is it possible to buy a 24 hour SL Travelcard Card on line? Have checked the SL website under the visitors tab, but can not find how to order online.

Don't think the 24h ticket is available online.

Also note that apart from the 115 kr for 24h you'll need to pay another 20 kr for the SL Access smart card itself. :mad:

Dear bazzav,

I wouldn't say FRIHAMNEN is close to the city centre. It is ok with the bus 76, however note, that you will need Swedish crowns in order to buy ticket. The kiosk on the bus stop doesn't accept credir cards (since 2011) and there are no exchange office or even ATM in FRIHAMNEN Terminal.

Another option would be to pick up a map and to go to the closest subway station (30 min walk), you can pay with CC and even buy 24-hour-ticket there.

Dear bazzav,

I wouldn't say FRIHAMNEN is close to the city centre. It is ok with the bus 76, however note, that you will need Swedish crowns in order to buy ticket. The kiosk on the bus stop doesn't accept credir cards (since 2011) and there are no exchange office or even ATM in FRIHAMNEN Terminal.

Another option would be to pick up a map and to go to the closest subway station (30 min walk), you can pay with CC and even buy 24-hour-ticket there.

Hmm - that you for that info about the exchange off ice and ATM. How about the Ho-Ho bus which I believe meets the cruiseship arrivals?? Will they accept Euro??

Thanks for any further advice

Barry

Hmm - that you for that info about the exchange off ice and ATM. How about the Ho-Ho bus which I believe meets the cruiseship arrivals?? Will they accept Euro??

Thanks for any further advice

Barry

Barry

To board the HoHo buses you need a ticket which can be bought at the counter right at the dock. I do not believe the buses take money directly?? At the counter you can pay with whatever you have. We used our Credit Card for most of our purchases, better rate of exchange and a lot easier than carrying cash around.

Cheers

Len

Barry

To board the HoHo buses you need a ticket which can be bought at the counter right at the dock. I do not believe the buses take money directly?? At the counter you can pay with whatever you have. We used our Credit Card for most of our purchases, better rate of exchange and a lot easier than carrying cash around.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

so you can use US credit card at all baltic ports, especially Stockholm ? I heard that they only accept European cc, is it true ?

thank you.

Michelle.

Dear bazzav,

This (combined with other reasons) was one of the reasons we bought the Stockholm card prior to our arrival.

No - no HoHo boats at Frihamnen or anywhere near Frihamnen.

Here is a Google map of where Frihamnen dock is. The Green Marker is the port dock

Barry

Thanks.! :) Any advice on getting from there to see the Vasa museum, and Old Town (We have a group of at least 10)? The HO HO Buses seem to be the best option I can find so far.

Hi Len,

so you can use US credit card at all baltic ports, especially Stockholm ? I heard that they only accept European cc, is it true ?

thank you.

Michelle.

Yes Michelle, you can use any US credit card anywhere in the Baltics. Are you from the States?? Several cards charge what they call a foreign transaction fee of aobut 3%, additional, added onto your purchase. Many of us used the CaptialOne card which doesn't charge any foreign transaction fee and the card has no fees of any kind. There has been an ongoing discussion about using an AMEX card in Europe and the Baltics in particular. There are several places that do not accept an AMEX card, so if that is your main card, bring along a Visa or MC just in case.

As I said, we charged everything and anything we could. We converted some cash to local currencies before we traveled, but just about $50 worth for each venue. Everything else we charged from the smallest purchase to much larger ones. Thru the CC you get the best rate of exchange,. and CC are accept almost everywhere, from taxi's to pushcarts to any regular shop or restaurant.

You will be warned constantly about pick pockets at every place you go. This is rampant in most ports, so we decided to carry as little cash as possible.

This way worked for us very well, plus, you can earn some cash back by using the Capital One card.

Hey, every little bit helps.:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

When I was there, I used the #76 bus to get to/from port to center city with no crowd issues. I did do some advance research and pre-ordered a Stockholm Card which permitted me use of the bus as much as I needed. I was there several years ago, and at the time, I don't think the buses took credit cards and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the local currency prior to getting to the bus. I don't know if that's an issue any more or not. But they sent me the Stockholm Card to the US and it also got me into a couple other places that I wanted to see (like the Vasa). I probably didn't get my full money's worth from the Card, but it did make it VERY convenient for me to get around town. I used it for 4 bus trips during the day. Whether you use the card or not for the money aspect, my point is that the #76 worked fine for me on that day. Just do some research about the names of stops and where you want to go and what the route is, and it's a piece of cake. Assuming it's not Sunday. I will add the caveat that I was one of the first people off the ship that day and there were only about 5-10 other cruisers using the bus in the morning (which was probably one of the first busses to stop at that location after the ship docked). Coming back to the dock that afternoon, the bus was more crowded when I wanted to get on it in the downtown area and I had to stand for a while. But if you do this, do the research to see what your payment options are now. It might be different now since I was there in 2008.

Is the Stockholm card, the same as the card for the HO Ho buses. Has anyone used Discover Stockholm with Strömma! they have a tour that covers a couple of the lines.

are the HO HO buses reliable?

Is the Stockholm card, the same as the card for the HO Ho buses. Has anyone used Discover Stockholm with Strömma! they have a tour that covers a couple of the lines.

are the HO HO buses reliable?

I don't believe the Stockholm Card and the pass used by a HOHO bus are the same thing. The specific card called "The Stockholm Card" provides for transportation using the city's mass transit system busses and gives free or reduced rates on entry fees at various sites around the city. The HOHO cards that I see advertised seem to use only the HOHO busses for transport and don't seem to offer as many free/reduced site entries.

They are similar, but not the same.

I don't believe the Stockholm Card and the pass used by a HOHO bus are the same thing. The specific card called "The Stockholm Card" provides for transportation using the city's mass transit system busses and gives free or reduced rates on entry fees at various sites around the city. The HOHO cards that I see advertised seem to use only the HOHO busses for transport and don't seem to offer as many free/reduced site entries.

They are similar, but not the same.

thanks, after doing a little more research, I think the Stockholm card is more usable than the hoho buses... thanks again

can somebody please advise how to purchase a return ticket for the #76 bus at Frihamnen - I have read something about a kiosk nearby?? Is it easily recognisable? I will have kroner with me.

Thanks

Barry

Archived