Shopping in the Islands

wvkathy

Aloha!

Sailing on the Wind in just over a month and would love to have some advice from seasoned Hawaiian travelers or residents.

I know we'll be doing very little shopping on this trip as there is so much else to see.

But I do feel obligated to make my contribution to the economy.

I always like to check out the unique places and try not to waste my time on the cruiseline's "recommended shops".

So any suggestions you all might have for unique shopping would be greatly appreciated. Are there any jewelry bargains to be found on the Islands??

Kathy

I can't think of any "bargains" per se for jewelry. Hawaii's known for its Hawaiian heritage jewelry, its shell necklaces (most famous and expensive made with shells from Niihau), and some black coral jewelry. But I can't think of anywhere that's particularly cheap. Then again, I'm a guy so what do I know? :D

Spleen

Spleen, in this case (even though you're a guy ;)), you are right. I've never found any truly nice Hawaiian heritage jewelry that could be considered a "deal." It sure is beautiful. The Niihau shell jewelry is so beautiful, but it's been pretty price-prohibitive for me (at least the ones I like). Even the simple ones are not cheap, but if you want something truly beautiful and Hawaiian, it would be a lovely addition to any woman's jewelry collection. The deals are mostly in simple coral and/or shell necklaces that I've seen everywhere. We also found some nice freshwater pearls on sale, but that was off season so I don't know if the prices are usually good or not.

beachchick

Exactly. I didn't care too much though because they were a Christmas present for my SIL, who had mentioned wanting some. They were a good deal and quite pretty.

If I had the money, I would buy really elegant heritage jewelry and a few of the amazingly beautiful Niihau shell leis. Really, the Niihau pieces need to be seen to be believed.

beachchick

I've gotten some beautiful black coral earrings for myself and some pink coral earrings for my sister at Maui Diver's Jewelry. The two stores I've been in (Lahaina, Maui and Kona, HI) have "bargain" areas with discontinued pieces that you can pick up at a very reasonable price if it's something you're interested in.

Becki

There are many jewelry shops that carry Hawaiian heritage jewelry. I'm sure that the locals can help with that. I saw the Niihau leis at a fair in Lahaina (under the banyon tree). I know that some jewelry stores carry them, but I don't know which.

beachchick

My wife bought her Hawaiian heritage bracelet from this store:

Classic Creations 1600 Kapiolani Blvd # 930 Honolulu, HI (808) 942-2999

many years ago. She has not been in a while - we don't even know if they're still open. It's certainly not in a location that's easy to find ... but they used to have great/quality jewelry.

Spleen

Yes, there are publications at the airport(s) and in stands around the main drags on each island. There are discounts for attractions as well as shopping discounts. Hilo Hattie usually has a coupon for gift with purchase. Check the website.

Also, at Aloha Tower Marketplace (next to the port on Oahu), there are some nice shops which sell "Made in Hawaii" items, which make nice gifts. They have beautiful Christmas ornaments, koa wood bookmarks, etc.

Becki

Hawaiian Heritage jewelry - how it's made:

http://www.ch1hawaii.com/rhhj/howmade.asp

And history of the jewelry:

http://www.jewelryhawaii.com/heritage.htm

And example of the bracelets:

http://www.ch1hawaii.com/rhhj/heavy-medium_comparison.asp

And example of the scroll designs on the bracelets:

http://www.ch1hawaii.com/rhhj/scrolpat.asp

Spleen

Archived