Princess Transfer London to Southhampton

You can check the price of this, or any other Princess transfer on the cruise personalizer on the Princess website. Once you sign in, choose "Add additional services" and you can choose the transfer you want. You can check the price and then say no thanks if you don't want it, or book it there.

We did this transfer last year,and as the previous poster said, there can be a long line. It is in a tight area with many other buses leaving to all parts of Britain, so seats were a little scarce in the waiting area. It didn't help that the bus was about an hour late in arriving to pick us up. Once we got on, it was good- we checked right in at the dock and our bags were quickly delivered to the cabin. Well worth the price considering the distance travelled and convenience.

You can check the price of this, or any other Princess transfer on the cruise personalizer on the Princess website. Once you sign in, choose "Add additional services" and you can choose the transfer you want. You can check the price and then say no thanks if you don't want it, or book it there.

We did this transfer last year,and as the previous poster said, there can be a long line. It is in a tight area with many other buses leaving to all parts of Britain, so seats were a little scarce in the waiting area. It didn't help that the bus was about an hour late in arriving to pick us up. Once we got on, it was good- we checked right in at the dock and our bags were quickly delivered to the cabin. Well worth the price considering the distance travelled and convenience.

This is the reason we are only using the $49 transfer on the way from the ship to the airport. From London to the ship, we're using Smiths for Airports. With six of us, it's $40 per person (converted from 155 GBP divided six).

This is the reason we are only using the $49 transfer on the way from the ship to the airport. From London to the ship, we're using Smiths for Airports. With six of us, it's $40 per person (converted from 155 GBP divided six).

Is the price you are quoting from Heathrow or from downtown London?

You may also want to consider booking transport through National Express. Much cheaper, comfortable buses, and may include free wi-fi. Can be hired from either aiport or Victoria Coach Station. 'Fun Fares' may be available if booked from the coach station.

I too have used National Express several times, for Southampton and Dover. Super cheap deals possible, I've paid as low as 5 pounds. Easy to book online. BUT, does require transfers to the bus stations and to where you want to end up. I use buses over tubes if I have luggage, including another trip last month. :) If you want a money saver, it's easy to do.

Can some one tell me the cost of the Princess transfer from London to Southampton?

Thanks

Worth it, worth it, worth it! In our opinion, at least. It's $49/per person.

We did Heathrow to the ship one way. And then Southampton to Victoria coming back. I loved it.

If you are doing Heathrow-to-Southampton:

Once you exit customs into the Arrivals hall, a Princess rep will be waiting with a clipboard. Give them your name and they will give you a colored sticker. You'll wait there with 50-60 others until your color is called and they get a bus for you. Our bus was a "Crawley Luxury" bus which had a bathroom and reclining seats. The ride (on a Saturday) from Heathrow to the port was roughly 90 minutes. It was smooth, comfortable, and the view of the English countryside was great.

If you are doing ship-to-Victoria:

You get a color and number and are told to wait in the dining room. Once they call it, you go downstairs and get your luggage, then walk out to the bus. They load it up and head north. It's a 2-hour ride to Victoria station. Our bus, again, was equally nice with comfortable seats and a restroom. Once at Victoria, we headed to the Park Plaza Victoria to extend our stay in London. But if you want to get on a train at Victoria Rail Station (separate from Coach station) or extend your travels, you can do so here.

Hope this helps. I was really glad I bought the transfers. There's no way in heck I'd take the train or try to drive myself after seeing the roundabouts and left-hand driving. It was nice to relax on the comfy bus. :rolleyes:

You can also look into International Friends - bus - pick up at some loca hotels and includes a stop at Stonehenge and reasonable - we did the reverse from the ship to our hotel in London 55GBP incuding stops in Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Windsor änd drop off at Heathrow or downtown hotel - we were off the ship at 715 am (no issues) and our bus was off with 32 of us by 8 am. At hotel by 530

You can also look into International Friends - bus - pick up at some loca hotels and includes a stop at Stonehenge and reasonable - we did the reverse from the ship to our hotel in London 55GBP incuding stops in Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Windsor änd drop off at Heathrow or downtown hotel - we were off the ship at 715 am (no issues) and our bus was off with 32 of us by 8 am. At hotel by 530

Hi,

This is a new service offered by an established operator, it's been discussed on CC quite a bit & a number of cruisers have booked, but yours is the first post I've seen from anyone who's done the trip.

Seems great in theory, particularly the Southampton to London direction.

Any chance you could expand on it? Time allowed at the various stops? any switch of vehicle in London? Any time wasted going from hotel to hotel? Any luggage limitations? And any other observations, both pos & neg?

Thanks in advance

JB :)

You may also want to consider booking transport through National Express. Much cheaper, comfortable buses, and may include free wi-fi. Can be hired from either aiport or Victoria Coach Station. 'Fun Fares' may be available if booked from the coach station.

Can you be more specific how this is done. We will be stayong at the IBIS hotelhich is right next to the cruise port. Is the train station close to this hotel? Also, how easy is it to get off an on the trasin with luggage?

Thanks in advance.

Can you be more specific how this is done. We will be stayong at the IBIS hotelhich is right next to the cruise port. Is the train station close to this hotel? Also, how easy is it to get off an on the trasin with luggage?

Thanks in advance.

A little confusion here, methinks.

National Express is a coach (bus) service.

You can book on a direct Nat Express coach from central London's Victoria coach station, or from Heathrow airport, Gatwick airport etc etc, to Southampton coach station.

There's a rival coach service, Greyhound, between Victoria & Southampton, but their Southampton drop-point is less convenient for the Ibis.

Alternatively, you can take a direct train from central London's Victoria train station (slow trains, about 2.5hrs) or Waterloo station (fast trains, about 1.5hrs), or from Gatwick airport (2hrs). The train isn't a good option from Heathrow airport.

I've never had any problem loading/off-loading luggage on trains, though a lot of north Americans on CC do seem to find the coach easier, because the driver loads.

The Ibis is between Southampton's rail & coach stations, no more than 200 yards from either. That needn't influence your choice of transport.

If you post details of where your journey starts, the date / day of the week, number in party, ship, etc we can give pros & cons & provide links.

I will be taking a cruise from July 14 to July 28th. We arrive at Heathrow on the 13th around 7:30 and need vto get up to the IBis on 13th.

AM. We will be departing Heathrow around 10:00 AM on the on the 29th We will be leaving from the Ibis on that day.. We are both 60 so I assume we are elible for discounts. Is it best to book now or wait closer to our sail date.

Thanks for your help.

I will be taking a cruise from July 14 to July 28th. We arrive at Heathrow on the 13th around 7:30 and need vto get up to the IBis on 13th.

AM. We will be departing Heathrow around 10:00 AM on the on the 29th We will be leaving from the Ibis on that day.. We are both 60 so I assume we are elible for discounts. Is it best to book now or wait closer to our sail date.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Eddie,

Ok, so that's from Heathrow airport on a friday morning.

From touch-down expect to be in the arrivals hall in about an hour, mebbe 90 mins cos of the Olympics.

You'll need to check with your airline which Heathrow terminal they fly to, because they're on different sides of the airport.

TRAIN

There's no direct train service from Heathrow. A train ticket buys you a shuttlebus from the airport to a mainline rail station (usually Woking or Reading), there you switch to a direct train to Southampton central station. Total journey time about 2 hrs, cost about £35 per person.

No need to pre-book, savings are minimal on this route.

If your flight is to Terminals 1-3, the shuttlebus picks up at Heathrow central bus station, which is an easy & well-signed 5 min walk. If your flight is to Terminal 4 or 5, the shuttlebus picks up at those terminals.

There's no discount for seniors (seniors can buy a railcard which allows 33% discount on fares for a year, but it costs £28 so it's not viable for you)

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

The Ibis is a level 2-min walk from Southampton central station.

COACH

Most people take the National Express coach, there are direct coaches to Southampton coach station. Journey time about 2 hours, cost about £17 pp.

Pre-booking is very strongly advised, I'd suggest the 09.30 from Heathrow bus station (T1-3), or 9.45 if from T4, or 10.00 if from T5

Pick up locations are the same as the rail shuttle buses:

If your flight is to Terminals 1-3, the coach picks up at Heathrow central bus station, which is an easy & well-signed 5 min walk. If your flight is to Terminal 4 or 5, the coach picks up at those terminals.

Seniors' discounts were dis-continued some months ago, when a govt. subsidy was withdrawn due to the credit crunch - there's still a seniors button on the website but the price is the same as an adult.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

More info if you click on the Airport header on that website.

The Ibis is a level 2 min walk from Southampton coach station.

PRIVATE TRANSFER

A pre-booked car will cost around £90 with www.westquaycars.com or www.smithsforairports.com

Both are frequently recommended by CC members.

Four cruise ships in Southampton on the 14th, I'm guessing you'll be on Independence of the Seas, from City cruise terminal. It's a 10 - 15 min walk or a £5 taxi ride.

On this map, A is the rail station, B is the coach station, C is the Ibis hotel, D is city cruise terminal. Ignore the blue line.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Southampton+Railway+Station,+Blechynden+Terrace,+Southampton&daddr=Harbour+Parade+to:Ibis+hotel+Southampton+to:50.904391,-1.4172111+to:City+Cruise+Terminal+101,+Southampton,+Herbert+Walker+Avenue,+Southampton&hl=en&sll=50.902805,-1.410735&sspn=0.009608,0.017467&geocode=FYXICAMd8G_q_yG3kAn9wEUrQQ%3BFc7CCAMd_n_q_w%3BFRjCCAMdwW3q_yFkdpNSWcz-Gg%3BFUe9CAMdBWDq_ymdwYubvnZ0SDEwW5qtLa4OEw%3BFaGtCAMdjGzq_yH2TvNMnSekBQ&oq=city+cruise+&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&via=3&t=h&z=16

Hi,

This is a new service offered by an established operator, it's been discussed on CC quite a bit & a number of cruisers have booked, but yours is the first post I've seen from anyone who's done the trip.

Seems great in theory, particularly the Southampton to London direction.

Any chance you could expand on it? Time allowed at the various stops? any switch of vehicle in London? Any time wasted going from hotel to hotel? Any luggage limitations? And any other observations, both pos & neg?

Thanks in advance

We did the 650 walk off with our luggage, others the 710 for private tours. Intl friends were outside terminal front door AR 730. 32 of us. Loaded luggage and passengers in reverese order of final drop off. We were able to leave for Saisbury by 8 (this is the only "maybe paert of tour as schedule says must leave Salisburey by 10). We had plenty of time for cathedral and magna carta - extra 5GBP. On to stonehenge where we had plenty of time - about 1. 1/2 HRS and to Windsor for about 2+ hours theere - must depart Windsor by 3 for drop offs - 1st was for 6 at heathrow area hotel and the rest at downtown london hotels - we were dropped off before 530 and based on talk from guide and driver everyone dropped by 6. The guide, Andrew was excellent - probably best on whole trip. I would alsao advise you to prepay with them the stonehenge and Windsor tickets at group discount to avoid ticket lines - only issue was it rained all day which could have slowed traffic a bit. Would I do such a trip again - yes

We did the 650 walk off with our luggage, others the 710 for private tours. Intl friends were outside terminal front door AR 730. 32 of us. Loaded luggage and passengers in reverese order of final drop off. We were able to leave for Saisbury by 8 (this is the only "maybe paert of tour as schedule says must leave Salisburey by 10). We had plenty of time for cathedral and magna carta - extra 5GBP. On to stonehenge where we had plenty of time - about 1. 1/2 HRS and to Windsor for about 2+ hours theere - must depart Windsor by 3 for drop offs - 1st was for 6 at heathrow area hotel and the rest at downtown london hotels - we were dropped off before 530 and based on talk from guide and driver everyone dropped by 6. The guide, Andrew was excellent - probably best on whole trip. I would alsao advise you to prepay with them the stonehenge and Windsor tickets at group discount to avoid ticket lines - only issue was it rained all day which could have slowed traffic a bit. Would I do such a trip again - yes

(excuse typos above as using smartphone). No luggage issues whatsoever. Time was more than enough at each site (better with prepay tickets as no large lines for tour group). The most surprising was only 20 of the 32 on board went into Salisbury Cathedral to see Magna Carta. Only half prepaid for the other tours - if you want to avoid lines (especially in rain) and you want to see the sites - saved at least 15 minutes at each site. There were some that did not go in to either Stonehenge or Windsor Castle -

We used the princess shuttle from Victoria station to port - for that it is best to get there by about 10, find the Princess rep, get your timed coloured bus ticket, and then relax. The next time you see your luggage is on the ship - there are ways to save money but it requires dragging your luggage with you between connections.

(excuse typos above as using smartphone). No luggage issues whatsoever. Time was more than enough at each site (better with prepay tickets as no large lines for tour group). The most surprising was only 20 of the 32 on board went into Salisbury Cathedral to see Magna Carta. Only half prepaid for the other tours - if you want to avoid lines (especially in rain) and you want to see the sites - saved at least 15 minutes at each site. There were some that did not go in to either Stonehenge or Windsor Castle -

We used the princess shuttle from Victoria station to port - for that it is best to get there by about 10, find the Princess rep, get your timed coloured bus ticket, and then relax. The next time you see your luggage is on the ship - there are ways to save money but it requires dragging your luggage with you between connections.

Many thanks for the feedback.

That was certainly a speedy departure from the pier - I think the operators' plans have allowed for a later departure, they quote Salisbury cathedral as just a photostop.

Windsor is a very pleasant town to wander & browse without going into the castle, so worthwhile even days when time is short.

Early days yet, but it looks like they could be onto a winner. Lets hope it doesn't become too popular - or the price will rise ;)

Many thanks for the feedback.

That was certainly a speedy departure from the pier - I think the operators' plans have allowed for a later departure, they quote Salisbury cathedral as just a photostop.

Windsor is a very pleasant town to wander & browse without going into the castle, so worthwhile even days when time is short.

Early days yet, but it looks like they could be onto a winner. Lets hope it doesn't become too popular - or the price will rise ;)

Salisbury is a photostop to the extent it is based on departure - we were all aboard the bus by 8 am as opposed to scheduled 8:30 (32 of us and we all were considerate of one-another that we were out of the terminal by 7:30 - so extra space on the bus and no problems with loading luggage - they do ask for estimated # of pieces in correspondence before the trip). Just remember to pre-pay with the tour company for Stonehenge and Windsor Castle to avoid the long line ups for individuals. Because Salisbury is based on timing, they do not take the funds up front, but we were there before the 9 am opening and there were no line ups.

Also, when coming off the ship at Southampton, there is NO customs or immigration, so it is very quick -- wait for your designated time, get off the ship, get your luggage, and you're out the front door.

Hi Eddie,

Ok, so that's from Heathrow airport on a friday morning.

From touch-down expect to be in the arrivals hall in about an hour, mebbe 90 mins cos of the Olympics.

You'll need to check with your airline which Heathrow terminal they fly to, because they're on different sides of the airport.

TRAIN

There's no direct train service from Heathrow. A train ticket buys you a shuttlebus from the airport to a mainline rail station (usually Woking or Reading), there you switch to a direct train to Southampton central station. Total journey time about 2 hrs, cost about £35 per person.

No need to pre-book, savings are minimal on this route.

If your flight is to Terminals 1-3, the shuttlebus picks up at Heathrow central bus station, which is an easy & well-signed 5 min walk. If your flight is to Terminal 4 or 5, the shuttlebus picks up at those terminals.

There's no discount for seniors (seniors can buy a railcard which allows 33% discount on fares for a year, but it costs £28 so it's not viable for you)

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

The Ibis is a level 2-min walk from Southampton central station.

COACH

Most people take the National Express coach, there are direct coaches to Southampton coach station. Journey time about 2 hours, cost about £17 pp.

Pre-booking is very strongly advised, I'd suggest the 09.30 from Heathrow bus station (T1-3), or 9.45 if from T4, or 10.00 if from T5

Pick up locations are the same as the rail shuttle buses:

If your flight is to Terminals 1-3, the coach picks up at Heathrow central bus station, which is an easy & well-signed 5 min walk. If your flight is to Terminal 4 or 5, the coach picks up at those terminals.

Seniors' discounts were dis-continued some months ago, when a govt. subsidy was withdrawn due to the credit crunch - there's still a seniors button on the website but the price is the same as an adult.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

More info if you click on the Airport header on that website.

The Ibis is a level 2 min walk from Southampton coach station.

PRIVATE TRANSFER

A pre-booked car will cost around £90 with www.westquaycars.com or www.smithsforairports.com

Both are frequently recommended by CC members.

Four cruise ships in Southampton on the 14th, I'm guessing you'll be on Independence of the Seas, from City cruise terminal. It's a 10 - 15 min walk or a £5 taxi ride.

On this map, A is the rail station, B is the coach station, C is the Ibis hotel, D is city cruise terminal. Ignore the blue line.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Southampton+Railway+Station,+Blechynden+Terrace,+Southampton&daddr=Harbour+Parade+to:Ibis+hotel+Southampton+to:50.904391,-1.4172111+to:City+Cruise+Terminal+101,+Southampton,+Herbert+Walker+Avenue,+Southampton&hl=en&sll=50.902805,-1.410735&sspn=0.009608,0.017467&geocode=FYXICAMd8G_q_yG3kAn9wEUrQQ%3BFc7CCAMd_n_q_w%3BFRjCCAMdwW3q_yFkdpNSWcz-Gg%3BFUe9CAMdBWDq_ymdwYubvnZ0SDEwW5qtLa4OEw%3BFaGtCAMdjGzq_yH2TvNMnSekBQ&oq=city+cruise+&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&via=3&t=h&z=16

Your information was very helpful So it sounds like we can just wait till we arrive at the airport and by our tickets right then and there.

Your information was very helpful So it sounds like we can just wait till we arrive at the airport and by our tickets right then and there.

Yes, for the train.

No, for the Nat Express bus because they can book-out. I said "pre-booking is strongly advised", but best make that "pre-booking is pretty essential";)

We are arriving on 7/13 and leaving 7/29. When would you advise reserving the bus. When you book the bus I assume you are booking for a speifc time. What happens if your plane arrives late? Will they put you on a later bus?

Hi again, Eddie

As my post, " I'd suggest the 09.30 from Heathrow bus station (T1-3), or 9.45 if from T4, or 10.00 if from T5"

So you need to know your airline's terminal before you can book.

If you don't make it, eg if your aircraft is late, you'll be put on the next available coach. There's a nominal administration fee, I think £5

For the return (its a sunday) the O9.45, which arrives Heathrow around 11.50, will be easy.

If you need to get to the airport earlier, there's one at 08.00 but that would definately mean unassisted early disembarkation & a dash to the coach station. The coach station is 5 to 10 mins by taxi from any cruise terminal, cost about £5 to £7.

Two important things when booking:

The Southampton end is Southampton (coach station).

Ignore the "cruise terminal" option, it only applies to Fred Olsen cruises & selecting that option will tell you "no availability" if there's no Fred Olsen cruise that day - or take you to the wrong cruise terminal if there is !! :rolleyes:

Some US members have reported difficulty when trying to book Nat Express (& various other UK purchases) on the internet, their credit card details being refused. If this happens to you, you'll need to contact your card issuer to unblock purchases from outside the USA.

Joh, you have been amazingly help-ful. My departure on Sunday will not be from the cruise ship but from the IBis.The cruise arrives on Saturday and we are sataying over night at the IBis. Our plane is scheduled to leave around 10:30 AM. What bus would you suggest we book?

Archived