Tripod recommendations for DSLR

brianjb

First of all, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I tried the search feature. I was also not able to find a category that I thought this would fit into...like photography

I have a DSLR, Nikon D40. It has been a great camera. I would like to upgrade one day, but it has given me years of great use and amazing pictures.

So back on topic...

I don't like to bug people to take pics of me all the time, and therefore most pics don't include me. Unless I use the timer function.

I was thinking tripod ideas for the cruise. I don't want to lug a huge tripod around all the time, though.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I was thinking something like this would be good, because you can wrap it around a railing or something else and position it where you wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GorillaPod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B000KFRSG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348246918&sr=8-3&keywords=joby+flexible+tripod

There are as many tripod options as cameras and the same large price gap.

You can spend $15 at WalMart for a portable Gorrila type flexible tripod that can clamp to a railing or $100 for a light weight travel one.

Your D40 with kit zoom can work with most all for quick flash or candid shots using the self timer.

For long exposures recommend that you spend no less than $50 for one.

Good luck!

I went to pro camera shop and asked for the same thing. Something light, compact, but would hold a DSLR. The lighter they got, the more expensive. Upwards of $800.

I settled on a ball head tripod made by Slik ($89-$100 retail). If you have additional cameras, pick up and extra quick release plate ($12.95) or two so you don't have to move it from camera to camera.

It's 2lb, 4oz. and 18.5" in folded position. Very sturdy, but be carefull in high winds (i.e. top deck, unless shielded by the wind). This is true with most tripods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614702-REG/Slik_611_849_Sprint_Pro_II_GM.html

Note: I found the cheap ones to be just that, cheaply made.

Right forum...

I take one of two tripods on cruises. I don't always take each one, and depending on how much I think I will need a tripod will dictate which I take.

I have a Benro Travel Flat tripod. The chief advantage of this tripod is that as the name suggests, it folds flat. I own the largest/heaviest one Benro makes (2190T), and even then, it is less than 17" long when folded, so it will fit into my carry on luggage.

The only caveat is that the light weight ones seemed to me a bit flimsy, given the number of leg segments. But I can highly recommend the 2190T as being solid.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_A2190T#4

The Travel Flat does not include a head, so you have to buy one of those too. I bought a BH1 head.

I did this video on the Travel Flat as I could not find a lot of info when I bought mine:

Here is a webpage showing suitable tripods and monopods for travel:

http://www.althephoto.com/gear/pods.php

The other tripod I take - if not taking the Benro is the GorillaPod - but you need the DSLR sized one. I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GorillaPod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B002FGTWOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348333483&sr=1-1&keywords=joby+gorillapod+dslr

At $65 it is not cheap, but I highly recommend a head as the DSLR sized Gorillapod is kind of stiff, and hard to position without a head.

IMHO you shouldn't ever feel bad asking people. If you are at a place with lots of people taking pictures, a good rule of thumb is find another person shooting a DSLR and ask them, the more expensive the better ;) ( anyone with one of those ball and chain anchors has got to like pictures and will appreciate you want a picture with yourself in it )

I have almost never had anyone turn me down. Many times in far away places they don't even speak the same language but preset the settings and hand the camera over they more than know what to do. A DSLR can be funny as many first just stare at the screen and wonder why they don't see anything.... I really like handing people my D4/24-70 2.8, I always make them put the neck strap around them :D

Personally find tripids only real usage is for support and or when you need rock solid support. Good/light tripods aren't cheap, a tip, don't skimp or you'll end up buying twice.

First of all, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I tried the search feature. I was also not able to find a category that I thought this would fit into...like photography

I have a DSLR, Nikon D40. It has been a great camera. I would like to upgrade one day, but it has given me years of great use and amazing pictures.

So back on topic...

I don't like to bug people to take pics of me all the time, and therefore most pics don't include me. Unless I use the timer function.

I was thinking tripod ideas for the cruise. I don't want to lug a huge tripod around all the time, though.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I was thinking something like this would be good, because you can wrap it around a railing or something else and position it where you wanted.

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GorillaPod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B000KFRSG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348246918&sr=8-3&keywords=joby+flexible+tripod

Right forum...

I take one of two tripods on cruises. I don't always take each one, and depending on how much I think I will need a tripod will dictate which I take.

I have a Benro Travel Flat tripod. The chief advantage of this tripod is that as the name suggests, it folds flat. I own the largest/heaviest one Benro makes (2190T), and even then, it is less than 17" long when folded, so it will fit into my carry on luggage.

The only caveat is that the light weight ones seemed to me a bit flimsy, given the number of leg segments. But I can highly recommend the 2190T as being solid.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_A2190T#4

The Travel Flat does not include a head, so you have to buy one of those too. I bought a BH1 head.

I did this video on the Travel Flat as I could not find a lot of info when I bought mine:

Here is a webpage showing suitable tripods and monopods for travel:

http://www.althephoto.com/gear/pods.php

The other tripod I take - if not taking the Benro is the GorillaPod - but you need the DSLR sized one. I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GorillaPod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B002FGTWOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348333483&sr=1-1&keywords=joby+gorillapod+dslr

At $65 it is not cheap, but I highly recommend a head as the DSLR sized Gorillapod is kind of stiff, and hard to position without a head.

I just got got the Benro MeFoto combo travel tripod/ monopod. It folds to 15 inches and is convert able to use as a monopod. Comes complete with ball head and travel case for $150 shipped.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got got the Benro MeFoto combo travel tripod/ monopod. It folds to 15 inches and is convert able to use as a monopod. Comes complete with ball head and travel case for $150 shipped.

The MeFoto kind of looks like a lightweight version of the Benro Travel Angel.

I just returned from a cruise last week and I only took a Gorillapod SLR (heavy duty version).

I used it to take time-lapse photos using a Nikon P7000. This camera is a bit heavier than the typical point & shoot, but not as heavy as a DSLR.

I was able to attach it to an i-beam, and I was surprised that it stayed put for three days. I used the neck strap as a safety strap so the whole thing would not slide down, but it was not necessary.

gorilla1.jpg

I am going to try and make a custom mount for this kind of thing. I ordered a 100lb retrieval magnet yesterday, and I want to mount a small magic arm on it, as there is enough steel on the balcony I think I can just pop it on the side of the wall.

I have three section Manfrotto tripod legs, and an Acratech V2 ballhead. I had a joystick ballhead before, but had too much creep w/ macros. The Acratech requires specialized quick release plates for each camera/lens, but I planned to mount a Quick release plate on each camera anyway.

I'm curious about how you'd set up the retrieval magnet. I tried using a GorillaPod Zoom around an ibeam, but couldn't get it to stay up.

The Gorillapod would slide up and down the i-beam, but when I added the weight of the camera, it shifted the weight enough so that it stayed put.

I ordered the following items for the magnet idea:

11oSTfTE8KL._SX100_.jpg

Master Magnetics 07503 - 100lb retrieval magnet.

31I6YId%2B8pL._SY100_.jpg

7" magic arm.

I plan on screwing the magic arm to the hole in the retrieval magnet, and the camera onto the magic arm.

I don't think this will hold a heavy DSLR, but it should work fine for a smaller size camera like my Nikon P7000, a Nikon 1 or other mirrorless camera.

I have a couple of those small magic arms, and they actually are made quite well.

The total investment (so far) is about $26, so it is not too much.

There are several different magnets I could have used, but I selected the one I did as it has a storage shield that covers the magnet when not in use to block the magnet from attaching itself to anything.

I am not sure if the magnet will interfere with an x-ray machine though as it goes through during luggage inspection. I might make some people awfully mad at me if I damage their machine with it. I'll have to look into that.

The Gorillapod would slide up and down the i-beam, but when I added the weight of the camera, it shifted the weight enough so that it stayed put.

I ordered the following items for the magnet idea:

11oSTfTE8KL._SX100_.jpg

Master Magnetics 07503 - 100lb retrieval magnet.

31I6YId%2B8pL._SY100_.jpg

7" magic arm.

I plan on screwing the magic arm to the hole in the retrieval magnet, and the camera onto the magic arm.

I don't think this will hold a heavy DSLR, but it should work fine for a smaller size camera like my Nikon P7000, a Nikon 1 or other mirrorless camera.

I have a couple of those small magic arms, and they actually are made quite well.

The total investment (so far) is about $26, so it is not too much.

There are several different magnets I could have used, but I selected the one I did as it has a storage shield that covers the magnet when not in use to block the magnet from attaching itself to anything.

I am not sure if the magnet will interfere with an x-ray machine though as it goes through during luggage inspection. I might make some people awfully mad at me if I damage their machine with it. I'll have to look into that.

I wonder if we can get a couple/three 100# magnets and put them under the GorillaPod Zoom, so if it starts to slide down, the magnets will stop it. But I also wonder how I will be able to detach those strong magnets. I have one on the fridge that's almost impossible to remove. The last time, I managed to pry my knife under it. I think knives are on the banned list.

Well I got the magnet and magic arm today. I have to say, I think this is a doable solution.

magnetholder.jpg

magnetholder1.jpg

magnetholder2.jpg

I tried it with my DSLR, and it held really well on my steel clad front door, although my intent is for a lighter camera (Nikon P7000, Nikon 1, Sony NEX, etc sized camera). While the magnet held my D90 with 18-200mm lens attached well enough (over 3lbs), the magic arm was more of a worry to me than the magnet. Of course, I could buy a larger magic arm and that would probably work. Or perhaps just a ball-head for the DSLR.

Also, it was a bit vibration sensitive, so I think this solution is not quite at the DSLR level. Again though, I think it will work fine for a lighter camera, which is what I intended anyway.

I also got with the manufacturer about possibly damaging an x-ray machine with such a strong magnet. They indicated it should not be a problem, as there are "shorting blocks" for the lack of a better term that come with the magnet to keep it from attaching itself to other items.

There is also a place on the side of the magnet for a screw eye (and it comes with the magnet) and you could attach a safety lanyard to that so if it did come loose, then the camera would not fall too far.

Anyway, I think this is a perfect solution for keeping a camera on the balcony for those cool time-lapse photos.

Archived