Help. What is there to do in Trondheim?

I am trying to plan our cruise this June along the coast of Norway, and know pretty much what we are going to do in all the ports except Trondheim. Even a search of the boards only brings up 4 posts. What can you do there? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There's a tram/electric train somewhere near the town centre, which runs up to a lake. We go up there and go for a walk. (I can't remember where it goes from, as it's been a few years since we went there, but there's only one line.)

The Cathedral's impressive. You can climb one of the towers, if fit enough.

I am trying to plan our cruise this June along the coast of Norway, and know pretty much what we are going to do in all the ports except Trondheim. Even a search of the boards only brings up 4 posts. What can you do there? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, lots of interesting things to do and see in Trondheim. From my below live/blog, you can see lots more details and visuals for this historic port city in Norway, plus for others stops along the scenic coast. Below are few of my notes, pictures, etc. More visuals in part two of my posting.

What other ports are you visiting? Reactions and questions?

Trondheim is Norway's third largest municipality. It has a population of 152,800 with major university-science-medical research facilities. It is considered Norway’s historical, cultural and religious capital. Its history goes back 997 and King Olav Tryggvason, who later was made a Saint. Its Nidaros Cathedral was built from 1070 and is the most important Gothic monument in Norway. The Norway King is still crowned here. In a town noted for timbered architecture, this is Scandinavia’s largest medieval building with a 321-foot-high tower. It was Northern Europe's most important Christian pilgrimage site during the middle Ages and has organ recitals in the summer. The town was Norway’s capital until 1217. Famed actress Liv Ullmann grew up here.

For the record/background, Trondheim is 425 miles north of Bergen. For our July 5 when there, it was sunrise: 3:15 am, Sunset: 11:24 pm on this day. There was a free shuttle around the central business district that made the logistics easier. You will still need to check on logistics from the ship docking area to the main center of town. Not that far, but not quick or easy for some to do that walk.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,468 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Trondheim’s top and most historic attraction is their Cathedral. Nidaros Cathedral was built from 1070 and is the most important Gothic monument in Norway. The Norway King is still crowned here.:

TrondheimCathTower.jpg

This is the front of Trondheim’s Cathedral. This is Scandinavia’s largest medieval building and has a central, 321-foot-high tower.:

TrondheimCathFrontFull.jpg

This is a close-up of the stone detailing on the front of Trondheim’s Cathedral.:

TrondheimCathFront.jpg

This is inside the museum for the Trondheim Cathedral. It features many architectural items from over the nearly 1000-year history of this structure. In this area is also a museum with the various Royal crowns, chairs, etc.:

TrondheimCathMuseum.jpg

This is the main alter at the front of this Cathedral.:

TrondheimCathAlter.jpg

Here is a longer shot inside of Trondheim’s Cathedral.:

TrondheimCathMain.jpg

Here are more visuals as a sampling for your many options in this town.

Others interests, questions?? Need more picture ideas?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,468 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Stiftsgården is the royal residence in Trondheim, originally constructed in 1774 with 144 rooms constituting 43,000 sq. ft. It is the largest wooden building in Northern Europe, has buttercup-yellow coloring, a Rococo style with Baroque details, is open 10 am-5 pm and has been used by royals and their guests since 1800.:

TrondheimPalaceFront.jpg

At the rear of the Stiftsgården Palace are these open, public gardens in the heart of the city. This visual gives a sample of this nice, shaded area with its seating areas, fountain, flowers, etc.:

TrondheimPalaceGarden.jpg

The specialty stores and shops are concentrated around the downtown pedestrian street of Nordre gate. Some of these are older, traditional wooden structures, but some, such as this one, is newer and more contemporary for their design.:

TrondheimNewBldgShopping.jpg

This Trondheim bridge leads to the Bakklandet district. This “Old Town Bridge” connects to the antique wooden house used by canning workers in the early 1900’s.:

TrondheimBridgeOldTown.jpg

This is an example of the charming, wooden structures that can be found around Trondheim.:

TrondheimOldTownBldg.jpg

Looking down the waterway, you can see a sampling of these various structures along this part of the town.:

TrondheimWaterBldg.jpg

Trondheim is my favorite city in Norway.

There are so much to do and see-

Sure, you need to do the Nidaros domkirke (Nidaros Cathedral).

Bakelandet is quaint with its wooden buildings and small cafes.

Its a nice place to have a coffee:-)

But you could head out to Munkholmen (The munks island). Its 2 kilometers out in the Trondheim Fjord.

The boat company providing the boat service is called "Trippsbåtservice".

There are no schedule for 2013 yet.

Here is a link to Tripps:

http://www.trippsbatservice.no/

The boat departs from Ravnkloa. (at the end of Munkgata between Olav Trygvasson gate and the canal.

in 2012 the ticket cost NOK 70,- pp-

The island houses an old monastery dating back to the 1100. It used to be a

monastery until 1537.

From then on it used to be a fortress.

The island also has a cafe and restaurant.

Tripps båtservice also offers a harbor cruise with a stop at Munkholmen.

The harbor cruise takes approx 1.5 hours.

its possible to leave the harbor cruise at Munkholmen and take the ragular boat service back to Trondheim.

An interesting museum to visit is the Folkemuseum.

Its n open air museum with more than 60 old buildings showing he building traditions in the area mainly in the 18th and 19th century.

The easiest way to get there is to take bus no.8 from downtown Tronheim, direction Stavset.

The entrance fee is NOK 100 pp.

As a curiosity you could go and check out the bicycle lift!!

Its fun, its quirky

http://www.trampe.no/english/

Thank you everyone for your help. I am wondering as well how do you get from place to place. Hopefully there will be a shuttle for us to get into town, or we will take a taxi? Once we are there though, are things within walking distance? I cant find anything in my web search about an electric train/trolly, unless it is the HOHO bus that is on the Trondheim website. Will we need to take the HOHO to get around, or are things realtively close together.

Cruise ships dock at the Port of Trondheim. The city center is only 1km from the port or a 15-20 minute walk.

Some cruise lines offer a shuttle service to downtown Trondheim (Nidaros Cathedral)

Map of Trondheim:

http://www.planetware.com/i/map/N/trondheim-map.jpg

Here is some really good information about Trondheim:

http://trondheimhavn.no/uploads/dokumenter/english/Trondheim+Cruise+Port+Brochure.pdf

Are the mayor attractions of the city bunched together,or is some kind of transport necessay ?

Would have thought they'd be a "Ho Ho"Bus, but have'nt come across one yet.Buses are OK but can be confusing.

Taxis are great but expensive.

Are the mayor attractions of the city bunched together,or is some kind of transport necessay ?

Would have thought they'd be a "Ho Ho"Bus, but have'nt come across one yet.Buses are OK but can be confusing.

Most of the attractions are withing walking distance.

If you want to go to the Folk museum you need to take a bus.

Trondheim have a ho ho bus:

http://www.visit-trondheim.com/en/tourist/see-do/

I sent an email to the tourist board [touristinfo@visittrondheim.no] with my mailing address, asking if they had any information they could send me. Within hours, they had responded, saying they would send me a Trondheim guide, as well as a map of the city.

I sent an email to the tourist board [touristinfo@visittrondheim.no] with my mailing address, asking if they had any information they could send me. Within hours, they had responded, saying they would send me a Trondheim guide, as well as a map of the city.

Thanks for the Info, but if you require extra I just look at whats being posted about Norway and add to the post.

There's some good links above to "click on" about Trondheim .

Sounds like this City is very walkable once you get to the centre

and with the shuttle from the Ship this makes it even Easier :)

• 1 year later...

Icruiser

Thanks a lot. As always ou give relevant information, to the point and very helpful for planning my trip upcoming August!

greetings

But you could head out to Munkholmen (The munks island). Its 2 kilometers out in the Trondheim Fjord.

The boat departs from Ravnkloa. (at the end of Munkgata between Olav Trygvasson gate and the canal.

monastery until 1537.

its possible to leave the harbor cruise at Munkholmen and take the ragular boat service back to Trondheim.

Its n open air museum with more than 60 old buildings showing he building traditions in the area mainly in the 18th and 19th century.

The easiest way to get there is to take bus no.8 from downtown Tronheim, direction Stavset.

Its fun, its quirky

• 3 months later...

monastery until 1537.

Its fun, its quirky

Icruiser, what about the Lekken mines? Are they worth a visit and if so, whats the best way to get to them?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Icruiser, what about the Lekken mines? Are they worth a visit and if so, whats the best way to get to them?

Thanks

Sorry, but I must have overlooked your question.

Løkken mines are a 1 hr drive (each way) from Trondheim in a town called Løkken Verk.

The mines sure holds lots of interesting history and it would be worth a visit if you have been to Trondheim before or have a keen interest in mining history.

http://en.oi.no/

http://sans-as.no/en/lokken-verk/

Lars