Kona - without rental car - question

Obsessedwithplanning

In Kona on POA in August. Don't really want to rent a car. Figured this would be a good down day, explore the port area and walk around the town. I hear it is a nice area.

Wondering - have read Kahalu`u Beach is a nice one for snorkeling (especially with kids). How far is it? Can you get there without a rental car?

Any other 'must do's' within walking distance at the tender drop off?

appreciate the advice... :)

Edited by Obsessedwithplanning

Searching Google Maps it's about 5 to 7 miles from the Kailua-Kona pier depending on the route taken...I wouldn't go without a rental car. ;)

It also does not show any public bus routes between these locations.

I found this website about snorkeling locations in Kailua-Kona and Kahalu'i is the closest to the tender pier. Have you considered a snorkeling tour either through the ship or an independent operator? It's been years since I arrived in Kailua-Kona on a cruise ship (stayed in a condo & had a great week of scuba diving) and I seem to recall cruise lines offering boat excursions to Kealakukua Bay.

http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/big_island_snorkeling.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the pier to Kahalu'u Beach. I believe it runs throughout the day (when cruise ships are in) and there is a small charge. I am sure someone else can chime in here. This is a very popular thing to do while in Kona.

There is a shuttle bus that runs from the pier to Kahalu'u Beach. I believe it runs throughout the day (when cruise ships are in) and there is a small charge. I am sure someone else can chime in here. This is a very popular thing to do while in Kona.

Does anyone else have info on this shuttle bus?

I think this is what you're looking for, the Honu Express Shuttle:

http://www.konaweb.com/forums/shuttle.shtml

It's $2.00, note that the driver does not make change. I didn't look at any of the stops so I don't know if it will help you out or not.

Have fun on your cruise! We loved it! :)

ETA: Yes, just looked - it does stop at Kahalu'u.

Edited by greatlakesgirl

• 4 months later...
does anyone know if we can rent snorkel gear once we're dropped off by the shuttle bus?

Aloha! I just moved to Kona back in April. There's usually a truck where you can rent your snorkel gear right at Kahalu'u Beach Park, as well as a snack truck. There's a place that gives surfing lessons right across the road from the beach.

You need to swim out to the middle of the little cove, about 100 ft to where the best snorkeling is. Numerous freshwater springs mix with the sea water to create little cold pockets. It's really neat.

It's a short taxi ride from the pier, and on cruise ship day, there are usually plenty of taxis hanging out. I'd suggest arranging a pick-up time when they drop you off.

If you like poke, Da Poke Shack is on Ali'i about halfway from the pier to Kahalu'u. They usually have 4 or 5 different ahi poke to choose from, plus other traditional Hawaiian dishes not to be missed. If you don't eat raw fish, they have excellent Kalua pork (luau pork) and lau-lau (pork & fish steamed in leaves). It's a great place to stop for lunch on the way back to the ship, and it's next to Lyman's surf break where you can watch the highly skilled locals surfing.