Salerno to Capri

mcclane

We are going to be docking in Salerno on July 1st from 7 am to 7 pm. I've been researching taking the high speed ferry to Capri and back, and notice that it gets back into Salerno about 6:30 pm, leaving us only a 1/2 hour cushion to get back on the ship before it leaves port. Has anyone done this? Is the timing something we should be concerned about? I've also looked into tours to take us there, but one of the things we'd like to see is the Blue Grotto and most don't include that in the tour, so that's why I've been looking at doing this on our own. On one tour we only have 1-1 1/2 hours on our own and during the summer, I didn't think that would be long enough to do the Blue Grotto...? Maybe I'm wrong...?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

That's probably not enough time in the height of the season.

You could consider taking an earlier ferry from Capri to Amalfi, then another ferry from there to Salerno to get back earlier on your own.

Unfortunately right now you can't see the summer schedules ... there will be midday crossings in July but they won't post them on line until much closer to the date.

Thank you! I didn’t know that.

That's probably not enough time in the height of the season.

You could consider taking an earlier ferry from Capri to Amalfi, then another ferry from there to Salerno to get back earlier on your own.

Unfortunately right now you can't see the summer schedules ... there will be midday crossings in July but they won't post them on line until much closer to the date.

As complicated as this sounds, it's actually faster to take a train from Salerno to Naples and get a fast ferry from there to Capri. You'd get there almost an hour earlier than you would waiting for the ferry from Salerno at 8:40 AM (arrives 10:50).

If you can get off the ship fairly quickly you can walk (1.5 miles) or take a taxi to the station in Salerno and get the 7:50 AM train to Naples, arriving at 8:35 AM. A quick taxi ride or metro ride from there to the port allows you to take the 9:10 AM high speed ferry to Capri, arriving at 10 AM, nearly an hour before the Salerno ferry.

It's a bit of work to go through to get there but on a port day, time is precious.

Thank you! I will see if our group wants to do this. I really appreciate your insight!

As complicated as this sounds, it's actually faster to take a train from Salerno to Naples and get a fast ferry from there to Capri. You'd get there almost an hour earlier than you would waiting for the ferry from Salerno at 8:40 AM (arrives 10:50).

If you can get off the ship fairly quickly you can walk (1.5 miles) or take a taxi to the station in Salerno and get the 7:50 AM train to Naples, arriving at 8:35 AM. A quick taxi ride or metro ride from there to the port allows you to take the 9:10 AM high speed ferry to Capri, arriving at 10 AM, nearly an hour before the Salerno ferry.

It's a bit of work to go through to get there but on a port day, time is precious.

I was looking into excursions from Salerno too. It seems there are more Almalfi Coast and Capri tours from Naples, even though Salerno is closer to the Amalfi towns. If you’re still looking at options, I did see a tour on CBM (Cant Be Missed) tours that takes you to Capri and the Blue Grotto for 135 euros. I found this company to be highly recommended on these boards. I think the tour left at 8:00 and returned at 4:30 with claims to guarantee you back in time.

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking into excursions from Salerno too. It seems there are more Almalfi Coast and Capri tours from Naples, even though Salerno is closer to the Amalfi towns. If you’re still looking at options, I did see a tour on CBM (Cant Be Missed) tours that takes you to Capri and the Blue Grotto for 135 euros. I found this company to be highly recommended on these boards. I think the tour left at 8:00 and returned at 4:30 with claims to guarantee you back in time.

Can you tell me the name of that tour or where I can find the can’t be missed section please

• 2 months later...
We are going to be docking in Salerno on July 1st from 7 am to 7 pm. I've been researching taking the high speed ferry to Capri and back, and notice that it gets back into Salerno about 6:30 pm, leaving us only a 1/2 hour cushion to get back on the ship before it leaves port. Has anyone done this? Is the timing something we should be concerned about? I've also looked into tours to take us there, but one of the things we'd like to see is the Blue Grotto and most don't include that in the tour, so that's why I've been looking at doing this on our own. On one tour we only have 1-1 1/2 hours on our own and during the summer, I didn't think that would be long enough to do the Blue Grotto...? Maybe I'm wrong...?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, just wondering what you did about getting to Capri from Salerno please?

Mark

Salerno is a better choice for DIY port. You can go to Pompeii easily without having to take pickpocket express CV trains. You can take bus to Amalfi/Ravello or to Amalfi/Positano. Less traffi con eastern portion than the portion between Sorrento and Positano.Private minibus tours can easily take you to Pompeii (before it gets hot) then to Ravello, Amalfi and Positano and back to ship. (skipping sorrento) I like when they drop you midway in Positano, letting you walk down, take a boat when done to Amalfu and minibus picks you up there on way back to salerno. (View from water of Amalfi coast is a different angle)