Appropriate Clothing For Europe Sightseeing

JoanP

Since it is extremely warm in the Mediterranean during the summer, I would like to wear long shorts for sightseeing. I have been told that I can take a wrap with me, sort of like a bathing suit wrap, and put it around me when entering religious sites. Does anyone know if this is permitted as long as my shoulders are covered as well?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;7;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

It sounds like it should be fine. You are on target w/ respectful clothing.

You will need to invest in a quality pair of walking shoes. Nothing will identify you faster as a tourist than sneakers, especially the bright white ones we Americans are so fond of.

Trish

This "looking like a tourist" thing is overrated. Dress comfortably regardless of how you look. People will tell you to dress European to try to blend in. OK, so you dress European and then go to the Coleseum with hundreds of others with a camcorder bag on one shoulder and a backpack on one of your kids! Yes, you'll blend in alright, with the other tourists!

Peter

Also know that it's a no-no for men in shorts also. My companion David has a few pairs of slacks that convert to shorts in seconds. They really came in handy for traveling in the Med and for the mosques in Turkey.

Darcie

I found that a sleeveless cotton dress was much cooler than shorts (better air circulation?). I had only brought a couple, so had them cleaned on the ship so that I could wear them again. Also a pair of very comfortable sandals was cooler than tennis shoes. I packed a light scarf to tie around my shoulders for the churches (bring it every day, one time I didn't because a dress code wasn't mentioned in the shore excursion description, and I had to buy one). Also a good idea is kitty9's post about the convertible pants/shorts for men.

We were on an excursion to Caracas Venezuela and for the entire half week before the excursion, the crew on board were telling us about how careful we needed to be, etc. By the time Wednesday rolled around, I was starting to wonder why, if the place was so dangerous, the cruise ship had excursions there? (Don't know if they still do - this was a few years ago.)

Well, on the day we assembled in the theater, they issued big yellow circle stickers with tour group numbers on them and told us to stick them on our shirts. Then they told us to try and blend in.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen. A bunch of white skinned, sunburned people dressed in shorts with cameras around their neck, hanging out with the well-dressed, suited and skirted locals going about their business workday.

Here we were - bunched together in the middle of the square - surrounded by the business people and the armed forces with machine guns casually slung over their shoulders.

It was awesome - I'm glad we went. Caracas is beautiful. But - the sight of armed guards every few feet gave pause.

The moral of this story - "you ain't gonna blend in."

St. Marks(Venice) & St. Peters(Rome) will not allow Males or Females in with bare shoulders. Women must have something on their legs that goes below the knees and men must have on long pants. They are VERY strict about this and will not allow you in if you do not meet the guidelines. Many other churches also follow these rules.

The whole point in blending in in Europe is Americans are not so popular right now. My sisters-inlaws ran into a hateful older man in Italy who blasted them for being Americans. This shocked them because they assumed Americans were considered the "good guys" in europe when it comes to the Iraq thing-not true and I would guess it may be worse since those prisoner scandel photos.

Ofcourse you can wear what you want-just be prepared that not everyone is going to like you.

By the way I am not talking about England, as far as I know they are allies with the US. The only reason I am even saying this was a few months ago this came up on the fashion board of cruisecritic and several from England thought I was talking about them.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darnapar:

St. Marks(Venice) & St. Peters(Rome) will not allow Males or Females in with bare shoulders. Women must have something on their legs that goes below the knees and men must have on long pants. They are VERY strict about this and will not allow you in if you do not meet the guidelines. Many other churches also follow these rules.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen them deny many, many people entrance into both. I was prepared so I was fine in my sundress with a light cardigan over it. I saw 2 men with long shorts on - longer than most women's capri's - get denied.

Don't chance it people. The sights are too beautiful to miss just because you aren't dressed properly.

It's been a few years since I went to Rome but in the recesses of my mind I seem to remember vendors in the plaza selling disposable "coverups" for people who forgot the dress code. Not exactly fashionable but will get you in the door.

Lauri

Momopeg, I am surprised that your sister in law was surprised by her treatment from a european, I hate to break it to you , but many many europeons do not consider Americans " the good guys" . That being siad most europeons can and do seperate politics from people and are happy to chat with Americans , But don't ever go into the world and expect the world to agree with your country completely, it doesn't.

As for clothes , sundresses are cooler than most shorts, they can be long and loose, and if you take the type make from gauzey cotton you will not have to worry about wrinkles!

Shorts are beach wear in most of Europes big cities, just not done.

" When in Rome" !!!!!!

• 4 years later...

Hopefully in a few months (oh, say, 4?) this will change and Americans will be welcomed abroad again, with open arms. Sadly, that is not often the case now (which says as much about the host country as it does about Americans).

That's all I can say without getting unduly political...

Not blending in doesn't seem to be a problem in avoiding pickpockets. I have been all over the world on cruises, and (knock on wood) have never been a target. I have taken care to dress appropriately (I wear sundresses with sleeves) and haven't been stopped outside points of interest, but have seen many stopped for inappropriate dress.

Skirts are much easier to pack and can be worn straight from touring into the dining room on casual dress nights and with the new airline regulations, skirts allow you to take less. There are some wonderful reversible skirts on www.magellans.com that now give you two looks in one skirt. And please, no white tennis shoes, no matter how comfortable they are. Go to a walking shoe store and get a nice sandle.

I personally do all I can to blend in and I feel I am treated with more respect as a result of it. It is funny to have a shop keeper talk to my DH and I in different languages trying to hit the right one. English is not always the first one they try.

You know what they say "When in Rome". The Italians dress with style, and it's fun to copy them.

I wore long cotton pants and short sleeve shirt for the Vatican and changed to shorts after the tour. My DH wore the pants with zip-off shorts. We were there last August.

Photos and review of our Med. cruise in the links below. It is actually interesting, and perhaps helpful, to look at some of the people in the pictures and seeing what the general populace is wearing.

Kathy:)

On our recent tour to the Vatican, most woman wore capris, just past the knees. I did see one woman with paper pants, so I assume they sell them or give them away for the unprepared. Several adjusted or shared sweaters. We were there 5/24.

On our recent tour to the Vatican, most woman wore capris, just past the knees. I did see one woman with paper pants, so I assume they sell them or give them away for the unprepared. Several adjusted or shared sweaters. We were there 5/24.
\\

Nice to know you wore capris cause I would really like to wear them. I wear them in my church, even while I am ushering, without being disrespectful and as a Lutheran, I believe we still have the same God.

I wore long cotton pants and short sleeve shirt for the Vatican and changed to shorts after the tour. My DH wore the pants with zip-off shorts. We were there last August.

Photos and review of our Med. cruise in the links below. It is actually interesting, and perhaps helpful, to look at some of the people in the pictures and seeing what the general populace is wearing.

Kathy:)

Loved your pics of the Med, thanks for sharing.

I live in Europe and was at the Vatican three weeks ago. Males and females can visit religious sites wearing long shorts (knee-length) and short sleeves. They do prefer some sort of sleeve (cap sleeve is fine) rather than tank top. Spaghetti straps will get you turned away unless you cover your shoulders with a wrap or scarf. There are Chinese ladies selling scarves a few steps away from the Vatican for 5€. Same for the Blue mosq in Istambul where I was last summer. I think you can even borrow a paper wrap there and the ladies do not have to cover their hair, but you do have to take off your shoes.

Backpacks are not allowed in the Vatican museum because they've had too many accidents with tourists knocking things down when they turn around forgetting the backpack. Large backpacks or bags are sometimes also turned away in St Peter's basilica, but smaller items are ok.

So to recap, wear long shorts, sleeved top, don't bring large backpacks, have small euro change in your pockets.

Thanks for your post, jolimont. Sounds like the capris I am planning on taking will be ok, since they are either just below the knee or mid calf. Since you were just there I doubt the rule will change before Aug. 31 when we will be there. As I understand the end of Aug and early Sept it is still warm in the Med. Thus wearing slacks doesn't appeal to me.

\\

Nice to know you wore capris cause I would really like to wear them. I wear them in my church, even while I am ushering, without being disrespectful and as a Lutheran, I believe we still have the same God.

The same god maybe, the same culture and traditions, no. When you are in another country, you must follow that countries rules. God has nothing to do with it.

Most European countries and cultures are much, much more conservative than our own. What may be permitted here without a second glance, might not be permitted elsewhere.

We live in a world community and it's important that we respect each others differences.

Archived