Advice for Mexican Riviera PLEASE!!!!

starlita222

Hello! I'm going on the Diamond Mexican Riviera cruise on April 10th and I've never been to any of the ports...Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Can anyone recommend any fun activities we can do while at these ports, aside from what Princess offers? Any sightseeing places, restaurants, etc. you could recommend would be greatly appreiated! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Sarita

We did this cruise last October and we are doing it again in September. In Matzalan we did and are going to do again Randi's Happy Horses. She's on these boards and is known as "Islandgirl". It was really alot of fun and can't wait to do it again. In PV we are doing a Canopy tour but not the one that Princess offers.http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/index.html This is the site. And in Cabo we did Sail & Snorkle which was really fun but this time we are going to go Parasailing and then hit Cabo Wabo restaurant. No matter what you plan you will have a lot of fun!!!

Nordic Empress 3/03

Star Princess 10/03

Legend of the Seas 9/04

Parents 60th Anniversary Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dawn Princess 11/04 Thanksgiving Cruise with Family

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We have done this a bunch and will do it again at least once this year, on the Diamond, the week after you do.

PV... take the local 4 peso (42cent) bus downtown, it goes the same places the $30 ship bus goes but not quite as smoothly.

Mazatlan.. the shopping at the Pier is every bit as good as anywhere else, the little flea market at the way back has charming goodies and no expensive cab rides.

Cabo... forget the name of the big Peso resort there but very nice view of the water, great for an adult beverage and some land based sitting.

We don't think this itinerary is really about excursions, what you see is what there is more or less. Maybe living in Phoenix has jaded us for heat and people speaking Spanish but just take it easy and relax, that is the idea of this trip.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

We sailed on the Star Princess to the Mexican Riviera for Christmas 2002 and had a wonderful time.

We rode Randy's horses in Mazatlan, and took Cielto boat tour in Puerton Vallarta as was recommended by PV Pam. Both excursions were great.

For Randy's Horses, we rode on the beach and thru a coconut grpve amd had lunch on the beach (lunch not included); for the Cielto, we had a continental breakfast on the boat, went snorkeling, spent a couple of hours on a beach where we had lunch (included) and then sailed back with drinks aboard (included). Both were very reasonable. For both, we took our kids, and for both we booked ourselves and not thru the cruise lines.

Both Randy and PV Pam post here on this forum (look on the "excursions" --I think its called--link).

Lisa

Caribbean Princess 08/21/2004

Carnival Ecstasy January 2004

Carnival Ecstasy April 2003

Star Princess (Mexican Riviera) Christmas 2002

Royal Caribbean January 2000

NCL Windstar(Alaska) August 1995

We did a 10-day Sun Princess Cruise a year ago about this time. In PV we did the Las Caletas tour - about a 45 minute catamaran ride to a lovely beach where they had kayaking, a nice buffet lunch and all the margaritas you wanted included. There was a continental breakfast onboard and drinks on the way back while the crew entertained. There was also snorkeling but it was a problem because the jelly fish were out in droves! We'd do this excursion again, but if you haven't been to PV you may want to tour the area.

ou will find all sorts of info on the Ports of Call board. You may have to go back a few pages on the Mexican Rivera but there is a wealth of info there.

Marilyn

We had been there a couple of times and took the organized tours so this time we decided to go at it alone. We rented a car in PV and drove up into the mountains. Got a map from the car rental co. Very easy to find our way around. Then we drove in the opposite direction to Nuevo Vallarta. Didn't remember where to eat so we went back to the ship, ate lunch and went back out. In Mazatlan we took a cab to our favorite restaurant El Shrimp Bucket and ordered the shrimp bucket for two. (It's $41.00 but well worth it.) You get about 3 each of all the types of shrimp they make. I think it was about 18 all together and you get this smoked marlin dip that is delicious, rice, mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. We negotiated the cab fare to $5.00 going and coming back we were full and hot and tired and paid $7.00. In Cabo we just waited until the tenders were empty and then took it to the pier and walked around, did some shopping right there at the pier.

Randy's Happy Horses in Mazatlan was a blast. After, we went to Froggers and boy, that was fun! (I think that was the name, see, too much fun!) We did the ship tour in PV, the Tequila Factory tour. We found that to be very interesting and we really liked it. I sure know about good tequila now! Cabo, we did a Snorkel Catamaran trip. Not as fun as the other two excursions. Have fun!

WooHoo, cruisin' again in May 2004!

Can anyone who has done this itinerary tell me how the water was? We have been told that it can be pretty rocky??? What was your experience??

Sensation 5/96

Monarch of the Seas 4/97

Inspiration 3/01

Voyager of the Seas 3/02

Fantasy 12/02

Radiance of the Seas 3/03

Adventure of the Seas 3/04

We booked an all day van tour with Mazatlan Frank and had a wonderful time. Naturally, he's out of Mazatlan. We're looking forward to scheduling "something" with him next January when we return on the Diamond Princess!

Shar

Giadav, if by rocky you mean how were the waves, last week seemed pretty tame to me. Pretty smooth, 1 to 5 ft waves on the way down and a little rougher on the way back, with Friday being the roughest. Maybe 5-8 ft waves with some pretty good bumps along the way. We took a catamaran and snorkel tour in Cabo on Thursday and that was very interesting. The wind kicked up on the way back to the ship and we were 1 1/2 hours late getting back. Some people got sick and almost everyone was soaked and shivering. The water was pretty cold, about 65 degrees.

"tdf799" Yes that is exactly what I mean. So it sounds like it is just as calm as the carribbean. Thanks.

Sensation 5/96

Monarch of the Seas 4/97

Inspiration 3/01

Voyager of the Seas 3/02

Fantasy 12/02

Radiance of the Seas 3/03

Adventure of the Seas 3/04

If you're adventurous, we rented a car in Mazatlan and headed up into the mountains to a little town called Coba. (or was it Copa?) The tour from our ship had already been through so we were about the only gringos there. The plaza area doesn't take long but we wandered along roads and paths and had a wonderful, if hot and humid, day.

Golden Princes 9/03

Monarch of the Seas 6/03

Century 7/02

Ecstacy 5/01

BUCKY: What date did you sail on the Sun Princess last year? We were on her from April 1st or 2nd for 10 nights. One of our favorite ports was Zihuantanejo. So quaint and unspoiled.

Lindsay

Tropicale--5/1988 Mexican Riviera--7 days

Jubilee----4/1992 Mexican Riviera--7 days

Holiday----4/2000 Baja--4 days

Star Princess--3/2002 Mexican Riviera--7 days

Ecstasy---6/2002 Baja--4 days

Sun Princess---4/2003 Mexican Riviera--10 days

starlita,

I have been to Puerto Vallarta 3 times. For a total of about 50 days combined. Look me up on the ship and we can hang out in PV because I know the "low down" on what to do, where to eat, and where to shop. I've also been to Cabo before so I can help you out there too.

Last time we were in Mazatlan we did Randi's Happy Horses. In PV, we walked off the ship to the Krystal and hung out at the pool. We've also gone into PV and wandered around the shops.

Azure Seas 6/88

Jubilee 7/90

Ecstasy 6/01

Grand Princess 10/01

Sea Princess 2/02

Star Princess 2/01/03

We did this cruise twice--last year on the Star and the Diamond which we just returned from yesterday. IN PV--last year we did the Las Caletas tour which we thought was great. Beautiful and relaxing place. Good cheap massages there, too. This year we took the eco-Marietas Islands kayaking/snorkeling/beach trip. Best trip ever! Saw birds that you only can see in the Galapagos but the snorkeling also was great there. Beautiful place and beach was fun too. Best part was the tour operator--Giavanny--better than the entertainers aboard the Diamond. THis was so much fun! Kids also liked it as well as Las Caletas last year. Both were from the cruise ship although through Puerto Vallarta Adventures. I tried to do it online this year, but they noted that the cruise ships had priority, so even if we reserved in advance, we could be preempted if the cruise ship filled up the slots. DOn't know if this was a line or not (it was cheaper on line).

Mazatlan--we did Randi's both years. Not to be missed. www. mazinfo.com/horsebackride

Cabo San Lucas--last year we did a kayak/snorkel cruise with Baja Wild--great outfit and really fun! Went in the Three Bays tour--not Los Arcos. Much better because not as many boats/ships as in Los Arcos. This year we were supposed to go parasailing, but because of the EAster holiday, the harbor was closed for parasailing.

In P.V. we walked to the beach next door and went parasailing, took a cab (cheap) to Senor Frogs got there around noon, but nothing was happening, not very many people there. Seas were very calm the whole trip.

Oceanic - dark ages

Carnival Celebration - 1993

Star Princess - 2/03 - Mexican Rivera

Island Princess - 2/04 - Panama Canal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sfpd3000:

oops, let's try this again:

Piney, can you email me when you get the chance: sfpd3000@yahoo.com

Anybody know how much it costs to park at Long Beach for a 7 day cruise?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The parking fee is $10 a day.

We will be taking the Mexican Riviera cruise on May 23. What can we expect in regards to condition of the sea? calm or rough? We will be leaving from San DIego. can anyone suggest a place to park or hotel that allows you to park there for a week if you stay there before the cruise? Also what should we not miss at the three ports if we do not snorkel, kayak or horse back ride. What souvenirs are a must buy? Thanks in advance for any help.

till next cruise on RCCL Legend of the Seas May 23, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived