Med Cruising?

DisneyJen

Well, funny you should ask. All is well on SD1 this week. Have had another outstanding week and it's hard to believe that today is packing day. Ugh. We started in Istanbul (fantastic city), then stopped in Canakkale, Turkey (for Troy), Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus), Patmos and Santorini Greece and are now en route to Hydra, Greece prior to returning to Athens on Saturday.

The ship is full but the service has never been better. A very nice mix of passengers, including a full complement of Americans as well as passengers from the UK, Australia, Belgium, Norway and elsewhere.

Both SD1 and SD2 are in Piraeus (Athens port) on Saturday and I hope to say a quick hello to some old friends currently on SD2 including Martijn (Hotel Director) and James (Activities Director).

ctbjr1309,

So glad to hear you had a great time on SD. We are doing Istanbul to Rome in Sept 2007. I hope you will write a review upon returning home as I am anxiously awaiting some Med reviews from SD. Have a safe trip home!

Mary Lou

Thanks for checking in Ctbjr ... sounds like an outstanding week all around. Please make sure to remember me to some of our friends on SD2.

Santorini is one place that I absolutely want to visit someday.

Safe travels to you and Mrs. Ctbjr.

Kusadasi was actually one of the favorite ports this week. The ladies were quite impressed with the shopping opportunities. Their take was that the stores were nicer, the prices were better and the merchants less annoying than in Istanbul. I walked along the harbor and up to the top of the fortress which had a very impressive view. There are also beaches that some people went to and a tour featuring a Turkish Bath that I opted to pass on.

We went to Ephesus during the day and returned in the evening for a private concert (for SD passengers) at the Library. That's something that a number of cruise lines organize and I recommend doing that if you haven't been there at night before and if you have the opportunity this time.

In Santorini we took a tour that took us to several villages around the island and ended up at Fira which is the village at the end of the donkey trail. Last year we didn't get out of Fira (too many jewelry stores) so this was a very welcome improvement.

DisneyJen, From what I hear, you have a trip of your own to review before ctbjr1309 gives us a detailed report from the Med!! ;)

Hmmmm...... Wonder how that word got out??? Good job DJLM1. Hope you guys had an uneventful trip home on Sunday.

Archived