Carnival Cruise Lines Completes Fleetwide Implementation of Cellular Phone Service

DaytonCruiser

Guests Can Make, Receive Phone Calls, Transmit Text, Multi-Media Messages

Aboard All 21 Carnival Ships

MIAMI, Dec. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- With the installation of cellular phone

technology aboard the 2,974-passenger Carnival Liberty earlier this week,

Carnival Cruise Lines has completed the fleetwide implementation of cell

phone service aboard all 21 of its "Fun Ships."

With the new service, made possible through an agreement between

Carnival and Wireless Maritime Services (WMS), a joint venture of Cingular

Wireless and Maritime Telecommunications Network, guests sailing aboard the

"Fun Ships" can make and receive calls and transmit text and multimedia

messages from their personal cell phones, BlackBerrys or similar devices

while at sea.

"Since we launched cell phone service last summer, response has been

excellent. Our guests are making maximum use of the opportunity to utilize

this convenient and cost-effective means for keeping in touch with friends,

family members and business associates back home," said Bob Dickinson,

Carnival president and CEO.

Utilizing WMS' state-of-the-art high-bandwidth technology, the new

fleetwide service is compatible with virtually any cellular telephone and

enables guests sailing on Carnival to make and receive calls and send

messages anywhere in the world from any cruising region.

The service requires no additional software or special dialing

procedures -- guests simply make and receive calls as well as transmit text

and multimedia messages as they would on land using their personal cell

phone. International roaming fees apply to all shipboard cell phone calls.

Fleetwide cell phone service is just one way that Carnival helps guests

stay connected while sailing aboard the "Fun Ships." Recently, the line

completed fleetwide implementation of strategically positioned "wi-fi"

hotspots that enable guests to access Web sites and send e-mails via any

wireless-equipped laptop computer from all lounges, bars, pool areas, open

decks, dining venues and suite accommodations.

Additionally, Carnival Valor and Carnival Liberty are the only cruise

ships in the world offering "100 percent bow-to-stern" wireless Internet

access.

Carnival Cruise Lines, a unit of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE:

CCL)(NYSE: CUK), is the world's largest and most popular cruise line with a

fleet of 21 "Fun Ships" operating voyages ranging from three to 16 days in

length to the Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada,

New England, Bermuda, Europe and the Greek Isles.

The line currently has three new ships scheduled for delivery between

now and 2009. The first of those, Carnival Freedom, is slated to debut in

Europe March 5, 2007.

For additional information and reservations regarding Carnival's "Fun

Ship" cruises, contact any travel agent, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit

carnival.com.

Carnival Cruise Lines is a proud member of the exclusive World's

Leading Cruise Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Holland America

Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, Windstar Cruises and

The Yachts of Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest, and a

commitment to quality and value, our member lines appeal to a wide range of

lifestyles and budgets. Together, we offer exciting and enriching cruise

vacations to the world's most desirable destinations.

Just not quite sure how I feel about this. . .

I really like being "out of touch" with the rest of the world while on the ship. I do check my email about once a day if the kids are home, but other than that, I am indisposed!

I also don't like the idea that I will be charged $$ if someone calls me while I'm gone and just leaves me a voice mail when I don't answer.

On the other hand, I like to use my cell phone as a clock in the room. Ever since I went to Sprint, that wasn't possible since there was no cell signal in the middle of the water.

Just not quite sure how I feel about this. . .

I really like being "out of touch" with the rest of the world while on the ship. I do check my email about once a day if the kids are home, but other than that, I am indisposed!

I also don't like the idea that I will be charged $$ if someone calls me while I'm gone and just leaves me a voice mail when I don't answer.

On the other hand, I like to use my cell phone as a clock in the room. Ever since I went to Sprint, that wasn't possible since there was no cell signal in the middle of the water.

I agree. I'm on vacation & don't want to be disturbed by the outside world.

We were able to use our phones at several ports on Liberty.....with no roaming charges. So you might want to wait until you get off & away from the ship to maybe avoid those fees.

I guess now we won't be seeing anymore threads about "will my phone work in XYZ."

I take my phone and have it with me until sailaway but then it gets turned off and put in the safe until I get back. I make all the calls I need to once I get onboard and everyone that needs to, knows how to contact me...in an an emergency.

I'm on vacation for cripes sake.

I agree that this is really sad. There was a post several weeks ago about folks being able to hear phone conversations in the dining room because the people were talking at the top of their lungs. I agree with others that one of the joys of cruising has been NOT having to deal with cell phones. Now, I can see the natural progression of this......"no jeans or cell phones in the dining rooms" (which should seem like common sense but maybe not :rolleyes: ) and the many, many posts on this board (usually numbered 1) fussing because Carnival had the audacity to tell them they could not use the phone in the dining room. Sighhhhhhh.

When I first started cruising the ship diden't even have a TV. Part of the fun of cuising for me was being cut off from NJ. When we were on the Miracle we got our local tv station out of New York. It was nice to see the big snow storm on the news and us being in 80' heat in cozumel, but I kinda like being cut off from the world. Than I can just think about cruising. My cell phone stays in the cabin, and my computer stays home.

When I first started cruising the ship diden't even have a TV. P to see the big snow storm on the news and us being in 80' heat in cozumel, but I kinda like being cut off from the world. Than I can just think about My cell phone stays in the cabin, and my computer stays home.

<Mine does too, I want to get away from the real world. On the other hand, it will be nice to be able to call my dad (who is in poor health) from my cabin or at a port.

This makes me sick at my stomach! I cruise to get away from all this crap and now they put it on the cruise ships. It may be time to check out other vacation options. I wonder if they will rent cell-phone jammers or if there will be cell-phone free zones on board? Hmmm... http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/story1a092200.html

http://www.redferret.net/?p=6447

http://www.slate.com/id/2092059/

http://digg.com/tech_news/BUILD_A_cell_phone_jammer

I agree that that is one of the better things about cruising! No people yapping on the cell phones and no one can reach me either...unless it's an emergency. What a bummer!

I always change my voice mail to indicate to callers that I am away and unreachable, not checking messages, etc. so that I don't get a lot of late unanswerable messages once the cruise is over.

A poster here indicated that we would be charged if someone called, we didn't answer and they left a msg. Could that be? I am not charged on land unless I retrieve the messages.

As annoying as it will be with others using their phone, mine will be in the room and checked once a day for messages. We are leaving the kids at home so I like the fact we could be contacted if necessary, but I will not be carrying it with me at all times. As for others screaming into their phones, these are the same people who will be yelling at the person next to them after a few drinks anyway! They should definitely now be allowed in the dining rooms or lounges just as a common courtesy. Just a thought.

We are leaving the kids at home so I like the fact we could be contacted if necessary,

There are instructions in your cruise docs about how to reach you while onboard.

I was on the Imagination last month and you would have thought people (mostly teens, kids) were talking and texting someone just down the street. The Sprint signal was steady the entire trip. The cost was $2.99 a minute at sea and $1.99 a minute in port.

The question is.....if you make call while on the ship...before sailaway, that would normally be a free call, will you be on the ship's high priced signal?

Who asked for this crap anyway? Just another way Carnival figured out to get a piece of the action?

Gag.

More and more reviews are noting the excessive use of cell phones... and I'm sure it will only get worse. It's going to be no different at sea than at home... you can't sit in a restaurant without hearing a cell phone ring... And even all the places (such as doctors offices, post office, etc) that display the signs NOT to use your cell phone, there is always some jerk that is. I do wish they would confine usage to cabins...

The question is.....if you make call while on the ship...before sailaway, that would normally be a free call, will you be on the ship's high priced signal?

Who asked for this crap anyway? Just another way Carnival figured out to get a piece of the action?

On RCI you are on your carriers signal unless the ship is out of range then if flips over to the ships carrier and I believe that both RCI and Carnival are using the same company.

On RCI you are on your carriers signal unless the ship is out of range then if flips over to the ships carrier and I believe that both RCI and Carnival are using the same company.

Thank you. Works for me. I only like to pay for my minutes once.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Great if you are in your stateroom- sad if you sit next to one of those people that have to yell every word and we hear their whole life story....:(

Next time you hear someone holding a very personal but loud cellphone conversation, join in on the conversation. That works wonders.

Archived