Aft Facing AF Cabins - Jewel or Pearl - Sizes

calmac

According to NCL's cabin size link (below) not all of the aft facing AF cabins on the Jewel and the Pearl are the standard 231 square feet. It says that cabins 11152, 11156 and 11656 are only 218 square feet. Does anyone know if this is the case? Are these three cabins smaller than the others? All seem to have the standard 54 sq ft balcony.

We are booked on the Gem (supposed to be same size cabins as Jewel and Pearl) and opted for cabin 11152 but now think it is smaller :mad: Should we try and change?

Is the view restricted at all in cabin 11150?

https://seaweb.it.ncl.com/consumer/stateroom_detail.cfm?Cat=AF&Num=11152&SC=JEWEL

According to NCL's cabin size link (below) not all of the aft facing AF cabins on the Jewel and the Pearl are the standard 231 square feet. It says that cabins 11152, 11156 and 11656 are only 218 square feet. Does anyone know if this is the case? Are these three cabins smaller than the others? All seem to have the standard 54 sq ft balcony.

We are booked on the Gem (supposed to be same size cabins as Jewel and Pearl) and opted for cabin 11152 but now think it is smaller :mad: Should we try and change?

Is the view restricted at all in cabin 11150?

https://seaweb.it.ncl.com/consumer/stateroom_detail.cfm?Cat=AF&Num=11152&SC=JEWEL

This question was made for me!

We had cabins 11150 and 11156 on the Jewel this past summer. We've also had AF mini's on the Star so are familiar with the size. Cabin 11156 or 11150 did not seem any smaller than any other AF we've stayed in. I will mention that 11150 was layed out differently than any other mini-suite and we loved it. The difference was that the bed was near the balcony; and the living area, TV, dressing mirror/table was where the bed normally is. We liked it so much better because the closet was very easy to get into as it was not obstructed by the bed. In addition, this layout seemed to make the living area so much larger and usable. It seemed more like a big open area to lounge in. You also did not have to fight the bed to get to the living area which is the typical the layout.

I have pictures but not with easy access right now. After posting this, I'll head over to webshots and try to segregate the images for you so you can find them easily. Right now, they're embedded with all the site seeing tours we took so they're hard to find.

If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

Webshots seems to be down so I'll try later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

We were happy with cabin 11152 when we booked it as we were told that all the aft facing mini suites are the same size but having checked the link we became less happy.

13 sq ft would be a noticeable difference so you've certainly put my mind at ease.

I'll check back (my) tomorrow to look at your photos - thanks for going to so much trouble. :)

Thanks for your help.

We were happy with cabin 11152 when we booked it as we were told that all the aft facing mini suites are the same size but having checked the link we became less happy.

13 sq ft would be a noticeable difference so you've certainly put my mind at ease.

I'll check back (my) tomorrow to look at your photos - thanks for going to so much trouble. :)

Are you certain that the Gem will be the same?

We also had a mini suite on the same sailing on the side of the ship and did not feel that the AFT's were any smaller. Comparing the size to the Star I am of course doing it by memory and did not notice a difference.

Given the chance we would book 11150 again, no doubts. We really loved the layout! The other people we were traveling with in the other mini's were jealous. :p

Are you certain that the Gem will be the same?

We also had a mini suite on the same sailing on the side of the ship and did not feel that the AFT's were any smaller. Comparing the size to the Star I am of course doing it by memory and did not notice a difference.

Given the chance we would book 11150 again, no doubts. We really loved the layout! The other people we were traveling with in the other mini's were jealous. :p

NCL are currently using the same deck layout for the Pearl and the Gem and, at least as far as the mini suites are concerned, they seem to be the same as the Jewel. It does seem bizarre that 3 of the aft facing cabins should be smaller than any of the other AFs on the ship :confused:

Did you use the fold out couch in 11150? We will have our son (age 12) with us so would need to use this but at least it would only be folded out at night.

What's really interesting about those staterooms is that NCL's deck plans make the aft mini-suites look HUGE, compared to those that are side-facing. We just booked 11656 on the Jewel because it looked the largest. Actually all we care about is that it is aft facing and has a balcony. :D I would love to see your photos, cruisingfromMN. Thanks!

Here's what the seaweb web site states as the cabin sizes between the 11th Deck aft facing AF cabins.

Star and Dawn

There are no aft facing cabins (AF or any other classification) on the 11th Deck. Instead, you'll find the Spa located here.

Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl and Gem

11150 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (231) (54)

11152 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)

11154 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (231) (54)

11156 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)

11650 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (335) (69)

11654 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (335) (81)

11656 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)

;) IM IN 11152,AND MY FRIENDS ARE IN 11656,THIS FRIDAY ON THYE PEARL,SO ILL LET YOU KNOW,HOW MUCH WE LIKE IT,WHAT AM I STILL DOING UP,MY PLANE LEAVES IN THE MORNING..................I NEED TO GET A LIFE,OH....WAIT A MINUTE I HAVE ONE,CRUISING EVERY YEAR,HAVING A BLAST AND MEETING INTERESTING PEOPLE!!!AND EXOTIC LANDS ,SEE YALL IN 10 DAYS,GREG:cool:

Hi Calmac,

we've been in 11656 on the TA crossing. We never saw another mini-suite so I don't really know if it smaller than normal. Have a look at our pics!!!

But we would never ever choose an aft cabin for rough seas again. It wasn't as bad as the front cabins but it was bad. And you really can feel the vibrations so you can't lean against the wall while lying in bed. On "sunny" days we were woke up at 7 am by the staff re-arranging the Great Outdoors.

Happy new year,

Petra & Joerg

. . . we've been in 11656 on the TA crossing. . . . But we would never ever choose an aft cabin for rough seas again. It wasn't as bad as the front cabins but it was bad. And you really can feel the vibrations so you can't lean against the wall while lying in bed. On "sunny" days we were woke up at 7 am by the staff re-arranging the Great Outdoors. Petra & Joerg

We heard the same "cleaning" noises last summer when we had one of the aft minis just below the Sun's Great Outdoors Cafe and never even considered not booking another one. We just smiled, thinking "Isn't it great that they're cleaning up so we can have a great breakfast in the Great Outdoors Cafe!!!" Actually, we heard it much earlier than 7:00 a.m. What you experienced at 7:00 was probably the early risers having coffee back there and enjoying the terrific views off the aft. Oh, man, get me to an aft cabin! :D

Now I'm going to enjoy your photos! Thank you, Petra & Joerg, for posting the link.

Here's what the seaweb web site states as the cabin sizes between the 11th Deck aft facing AF cabins.

Star and Dawn

There are no aft facing cabins (AF or any other classification) on the 11th Deck. Instead, you'll find the Spa located here.

Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl and Gem

11150 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (231) (54)

11152 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)

11154 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (231) (54)

11156 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)

11650 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (335) (69)

11654 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (335) (81)

11656 - Cabin & Balcony Sq Ft (218) (54)

That's correct about the Star and Dawn. I just brought up the Star in reference to size of AF's on the side of the ship to the AFT AF's on the Jewel. At least I think that's why you posted there are no AFT facing cabins on the Star and Dawn. :)

That's correct about the Star and Dawn. I just brought up the Star in reference to size of AF's on the side of the ship to the AFT AF's on the Jewel. At least I think that's why you posted there are no AFT facing cabins on the Star and Dawn. :)

On deck 11, there are no aft facing cabins on the Star and Dawn. The Spa is located on deck 11 aft on both of these ships. Decks 8, 9, and 10 do have aft facing cabins on the Star and Dawn. Just wanted to make it clear:)

On deck 11, there are no aft facing cabins on the Star and Dawn. The Spa is located on deck 11 aft on both of these ships. Decks 8, 9, and 10 do have aft facing cabins on the Star and Dawn. Just wanted to make it clear:)

Right... and I was just trying to make clear from electricon's post. Oh my thanks for clearing my details up! :o

NCL are currently using the same deck layout for the Pearl and the Gem and, at least as far as the mini suites are concerned, they seem to be the same as the Jewel. It does seem bizarre that 3 of the aft facing cabins should be smaller than any of the other AFs on the ship :confused:

Did you use the fold out couch in 11150? We will have our son (age 12) with us so would need to use this but at least it would only be folded out at night.

Yes, we did use the fold out couch. No big deal at all. You'll see it open in some of my pictures.

Yes, we did use the fold out couch. No big deal at all. You'll see it open in some of my pictures.

Hi cruisingfromMN--

I looked quickly through 13 or 14 pages in the Jewel album (beautiful shots, BTW!) and saw only 1 or 2 shots of what I know must have been the aft cabin--of the balcony.

Would you mind terribly telling me what page(s) I might find an interior shots on? Thanks so much! I'd love to see what your minisuite looked like.

Hi cruisingfromMN--

I looked quickly through 13 or 14 pages in the Jewel album (beautiful shots, BTW!) and saw only 1 or 2 shots of what I know must have been the aft cabin--of the balcony.

Would you mind terribly telling me what page(s) I might find an interior shots on? Thanks so much! I'd love to see what your minisuite looked like.

I segregated them into their own album called Jewel ship pictures. There are 11 pictures in the album. Hopefully, it's working o.k. I just checked again and can see them but I've had computer gremlins the last couple of days both here and at webshots. I wonder if I have to update my link in my signature. I'll try that and see if that makes a difference.

I segregated them into their own album called Jewel ship pictures. There are 11 pictures in the album. Hopefully, it's working o.k. I just checked again and can see them but I've had computer gremlins the last couple of days both here and at webshots. I wonder if I have to update my link in my signature. I'll try that and see if that makes a difference.

No, that was my fault--my apologies. I went back and realized I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see the proper album. Duh.

Anyway, the suite is really pretty and I love the lay-out!

Thanks again--

O.K. I've segregated the photos into a separate album so you don't have to search thru hundreds of others. Just look for Jewel Ship albums and you'll find them. Be sure to read the captions to better understand the photos.

Thank you SO much for sorting out your photos! Now we just need to decide whether we want the standard layout or the "unique" layout (assuming the Gem will be the same, of course).

Thanks again.:D

Hi Calmac,

we've been in 11656 on the TA crossing. We never saw another mini-suite so I don't really know if it smaller than normal. Have a look at our pics!!!

But we would never ever choose an aft cabin for rough seas again. It wasn't as bad as the front cabins but it was bad. And you really can feel the vibrations so you can't lean against the wall while lying in bed. On "sunny" days we were woke up at 7 am by the staff re-arranging the Great Outdoors.

Happy new year,

Petra & Joerg

Happy New Year, Petra & Joerg.

We were in an aft facing BA cabin on Deck 9 and "survived" so reckon we will be OK. We're opting for the AF on the Gem as our son will be travelling with us.

Spotted Stuart and I in some of your photos when looking for the cabin ones!! We will get round to posting our photos sometime soon, I hope. Stuart is in Stuttgart for a meeting next week - he will need to speak German then (he just listened in to some of your conversations!).

Hi Kids -

The Unique Layout cabins shouldn't be up for grabs.....especially so early.

I would hope they'd be holding these cabins a little longer for disabled pax......

Still, it sure doesn't seem fair to reduce the size of the other aft AFs to increase the HC cabins...devaluing prime real estate like that.;)

Hilary & Stuart, when are you booked for the Gem?

Thank you so much for the info on 11150 and the pictures. We have booked this cabin for next years Gem cruise.We booked it early to get an aft and at the time of booking this was the last af mini.Had no idea of the layout but I like it,had an af on the Dawn and this is much nicer with the bed next to the balcony:)

For all those going please post how you like it .Really can't wait till the Gem is ready.

Archived