Transatlantic Nov' 2007

No534

My partner and I have booked the above trip from Tenerife to Miami later this year. We were originally booked on Silversea in September but we fancied a change and some friends thoroughly recommended SDYC, so we thought we'd give them a go.

I've read all the reports and blogs etc, and while I'm looking forward to all those sea days, without phones, e-mail etc, can anyone confirm that the experience as good as its made out? (So far, I've only seen one bad thread and that wasn't enough to put me off!!)

Many thanks in advance. I'm off for another 360 tour on SDYC's website!!

Cheers! :)

If you've read the blogs you'll know what a great experience I find an SDYC crossing to be... not sure which thread you found negative unless it was the 'kid's cruise' which is something I can't ever imagine happening on a transatlantic.

I love crossings because I'm basically a night person, and I like being able to sleep the morning away with no guilt about missing ports and excursions and no blaring announcements beginning at 8 or 9 am. And having my laptop set up in the suite 24/7 at a reasonable charge is like the icing on the cake... although as you make reference to not using email in your post that probably won't be important to you. And of course there's nothing like sleeping out in a Bali bed in the middle of the ocean... this was a high point for me (once I turned the interlopers out of my reserved bed!).

Looks as if a great group is coming together for the fall crossing, glad to hear you and your partner will be joining us!

alita

Dear Alita,

Many thanks for your response. It sounds so relaxing and just what we need!

Just before I read your post I had dinner with some friends who are frequent SDYC passengers. Unfortunately, they are having to slum it on Silversea because SDYC cancelled their cruise to Brazil... Needless to say they are very jealous.. :)

They have told me some wanderful stories and we are so looking forward to November!

See you on board! :)

No.534

This is my first trip on Seadream and I am looking forward to it. I travel alone but hopefully that won't bother people. I enjoy the alone time and meeting new people. Hope to meet more people who will be traveling then also. See you soon.

I'm as good as booked myself, just need the decission of my partner! If not I go by myself.

It will be my 1st time as well on SeaDream, I did sail on SeaGoddess and Seabourn, but it must have changed to the positive and that was my favourite cruise ever.

I can not wait to just sit by the pool and enjoy live and eat wonderful food and have interesting conversations with fellow Yachtsman!

Greetings friends...

I just bought my one-way ticket from Denver to Tenerife and it cost more than the crossing does! I do wish that Sea Dream 2 would schedule the crossings from a more accessible port:(

I've checked the 2008 schedule on their website but it doesn't give sailings later than September... anyone know from which port the SD2 autumn crossing will leave? If it weren't for a certain Capitán I would be tempted to take something out of Lisbon (which SDI is doing this fall)...

alita

Greetings friends...

I've checked the 2008 schedule on their website but it doesn't give sailings later than September... anyone know from which port the SD2 autumn crossing will leave? alita

Hi there. Long time no chat, alita. The 2008 November crossing on SD 2 also is currently scheduled to depart from Tenerife. For what it's worth, I had good luck last year and this year using British Airways miles to get from the US to Tenerife. Mrs. CTBjr has been very cooperative in racking up the miles for me on her BA Visa card.

Of course there's always the chance that the 2008 schedule could change. You'll recall that the 2007 Fall crossing on SD2 was originally scheduled to terminate in Rio and is now concluding in Miami....

Hope all is well.

Talking of British Airways........

I've got a little inside info here from BA, their franchise airline GB Airways operate daily flights to the island, however services to TFN - Los Rodeos (the more convenient airport for Santa Cruz where SD sail from) have just been suspended for good at the summer schedule change & won't be coming back for next winter season). All flights will now operate to TFS - Reina Sofia Airport in the south of the island. Details of seat availability for the 2 flights the day before SD2 sails are below.....and both have healthy loads already. Fares for both flights in Business Class are £139.50, £99.50 in Economy on the earlier flight & £114.50 for the later.

<H2>Flight: BA6980</H2>

• Operated by: GB Airways
  • Depart: Gatwick (London) - Terminal N on 02-Nov-2007 at 07:15
  • Arrive: Sur Reina Sofia (Tenerife) on 02-Nov-2007 at 11:35
  • Stopovers: Non stop
  • Duration: 4 hrs 20 mins
  • Aircraft type: 321 (Airbus A320 jet)

<H3 class=formhead>Sales Availability at: 3 Apr 2007 08:55:16 BST

CabinCapacity Club/Business - 15 Economy - 185

*Available seats Club/Business - 8 Economy - 36

Flight: BA6996

• Operated by: GB Airways
  • Depart: Gatwick (London) - Terminal N on 02-Nov-2007 at 08:40
  • Arrive: Sur Reina Sofia (Tenerife) on 02-Nov-2007 at 13:05
  • Stopovers: Non stop
  • Duration: 4 hrs 25 mins
  • Aircraft type: 320 (Airbus A320 jet)

Sales Availability at: 3 Apr 2007 08:56:54 BST

CabinCapacity Club/Business - 10 Economy - 155

*Available seats Club/Business - 5 Economy - 50+

</H3>

¡hola ctbjr!

Unfortunately my UA miles don't get me anywhere in the Canary Islands region... I have begun a new AAdvantage card but so far haven't racked up enough miles. The ticket I bought online at AA is DEN-ORD on AA, then Iberia from ORD to TFN. The incredible thing is that this ticket was priced $1000 less than the same itinerary (same plane!!!) which showed the international flight as an AA flight. I called AA and asked about it, the res agent said sometimes Iberia prices their international flights differently...

Shhhh... don't tell!!

SW18... thanks for the GB info, that will be my choice if El Capitán doesn't pull off an itinerary change. Do you (or anyone) know if there's a scheduled sailing before the crossing or is it a charter?

I don't know what SD2 is doing prior to the Crossing but best guess is a series of charters since they aren't listed on the website. I guess there's also the possibility that there's a drydock scheduled during that timeframe.

alita, what day are you arriving in Tenerife? Are you able to get there a day early or are you arriving on departure day? At least you're able to fly into TFN which is significantly closer to the port than TFS which is where I'll be landing on Nov. 2.

ctbjr... I'm actually arriving on November 1, the meetings I mentioned to you will be finished the evening of the 30th so instead of going back to Tucson I'm flying directly from Denver to Tenerife with only 2 stops/changes-ORD and MAD. As I will have 2 nights in TFN I'm giving the Sheraton a pass and will be staying at what appears to be a great little country hotel with lots of good food and wine so that I can rest up and get my palate prepared for the crossing.

Any word on who'll be driving the ship???

alita, glad to hear that your meetings are ending early enough so that you're not pressed for time getting to Tenerife. I'm booked at the Sheraton but would like to check out that "great little country hotel" if you care to share the info with us/me. I have only one night in Tenerife so am looking for a place that's convenient to the port if possible but at least on the way from TFS to the port.

Last I heard this trip will be an opportunity for us to meet the most junior of the 4 SeaDream Captains.

ctb.... this place might work out well for you as it is about half way between the two airports. If any others on the crossing are looking for an alternative to the dreadful Sheraton check out this place. We could get a van to take us all to the port on November 3.

http://www.innsofcanaryislands.com/hotelview.aspx?h=5014

WooHoo... the most junior captain! We'll get to break him in!!!

I finally found the home page for the Hotel Rural Victoria which I'm posting below. The URL I put up yesterday I believe goes through a local agency... perhaps not a good way to book as I just checked Trip Advisor and they show lower prices. They also have mixed reviews on the hotel... I plan to telephone them tomorrow and ask a few questions re: rooms and rates and will report back my findings.

http://www.hotelruralvictoria.com/en/hotel.php

Received a very nice email from Erika at Hotel Rural Victoria today, she assured me that the complaints about bedding, etc on tripadvisor had been taken care of.... they have changed all the pillows, bed linens and towels in the rooms.

I'm going to go ahead and book, hope there will be others who'll join me!

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard the Sheraton Mencey is a mixed bag -- if you stay in a renovated room, it's nice but if you don't watch out. Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Botanico, or can anyone recommend other hotels that are convenient to the Port? The hotel where Alita is staying appears to be fully booked prior to the November crossing. Thanks in advance.

Rustycat...

Don't go by the online booking sites, they all seem to say no space available. Try emailing Erika at the hotel and she'll get right back to you.

http://www.hotelruralvictoria.com/en/contacto.php

I certainly wouldn't stay at that Sheraton again, even as a starwood preferred member I was given a dreary room and the noise from construction all around the hotel was terrible!

alita

Alita,

Just to let you know, from Europe and the UK there are many many ways to get cheaply to the Canary Islands. Don't book your flight from the US through to the Canaries as that is very very expensive. Instead, book a flight to one of the Euro capitals, like London, Paris, Amsterdam, etc. and get a flight from there. We have countless low-cost carriers that fly to the Canaries, some starting as low as 59 euros if you book early.

Because there are so many airlines that you can fly, and you won't find them on a traditional search engine like Expedia or Travelocity (these airlines generally don't list their flights on these sites), you can find the flights on this site, which lists most low cost carriers in Europe.

http://www.skyscanner.net/eur

The other thing to keep in mind is that it is sometimes advantageous to buy a round trip and "throw away" the return portion, as a one-way fare is often more expensive than an early-booked roundtrip.

Just as tip from someone who works for an airline.

Best regards,

Daniel

For airline points, I currently recommend the Starwood American Express Card because you can transfer points to almost any airline, and also accumulate points for all their hotel chains.

Their brand can be researched at www.spg.com.

As far as paying for great hotels, I did notice that Luxurylink.com has some 5 star properties up for auction. Might be worth checking it out! Good luck, but don't bid against each other!

Daniel... thanks so much for the great post, lots of information there! I too will bookmark the site, it's very helpful to have a poster 'in the business' to point us in the right direction!

Archived